PDA

View Full Version : Proud to say, I got a new dog!

T3 AutoDetails
02-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi all, me and my wife have been waiting 3 months to get our pick of the litter (English Springer Spaniel). Today we picked our dog up at exactly 6 weeks old :). Been a long wait but well worth it. These breeds are super smart and love to hunt and swim! what can you expect from a gun dog? Anyways I just wanted to share that our boy Oliver is finally home and we are having a blast!:dblthumb2:

rmagnus
02-14-2013, 10:14 PM
:postpics:

hoyt66
02-15-2013, 05:12 AM
:postpics:

Agreed!!! Congrats

BobbyG
02-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Congratulations on the new member of your family....:props:

T3 AutoDetails
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/t88w3.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t88w3)

My wife and the new addition on the way home from the breeders :xyxthumbs:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/tevqf.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/tevqf)

The little ones together :dblthumb2:

rmagnus
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
LOL 1 day and already on the furniture! Yep thats a Springer, awesome dogs all around.

Pureshine
02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Very cool :)

Chris's FX4
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Congrats, and springers definitely are awesome.:xyxthumbs:

Has he figured out how to jump yet?

T3 AutoDetails
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
LOL 1 day and already on the furniture! Yep thats a Springer, awesome dogs all around.

Yea if we are not on the floor with him he crys to come sit in our laps, that was the only time he was let on the furniture i kinda set the house rule about just sitting on the floor with him.

Congrats, and springers definitely are awesome.:xyxthumbs:

Has he figured out how to jump yet?

not yet, in the first 12 hours we have got sit and down (lay) under the belt. took about a bag of training treats but he does both on command now. Im very impressed with how fast he learned. This is my first springer, my wifes second.

The only real issue if you can all it that is his biting. His baby teeth are so sharp and when i want to pet him all he wants to do is play and nibble and bite me all over lol.

Congratulations on the new member of your family....:props:

Thanks Bobby :)

Very cool :)
Thanks man

flyinion
02-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Wow, isn't 6 weeks too early? Here in CA at least you can't take a dog before 8 weeks unless something happened to the mom. Nice looking dog though. We had a Springer when I was really young (up until around 7 years old) but he often escaped the backyard. The last time he never came back :( Great dog though. We could pull on his ears, try to ride him like a horse, etc. lol and he tolerated it all.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Congrats! Looks like the perfect pair already =)

T3 AutoDetails
02-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Wow, isn't 6 weeks too early? Here in CA at least you can't take a dog before 8 weeks unless something happened to the mom. Nice looking dog though. We had a Springer when I was really young (up until around 7 years old) but he often escaped the backyard. The last time he never came back :( Great dog though. We could pull on his ears, try to ride him like a horse, etc. lol and he tolerated it all.

In SD the limit is 6 weeks as long as they are weind from the mother. he started weaning at around 5 weeks old. he's been prefect so far aside from the wanting to bite my hands and head when im on the ground with him.

Congrats! Looks like the perfect pair already =)

Thanks man, we are very happy with him and he sure is a handful but a playful handful!

rmagnus
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
These are very smart dogs. Sounds silly but set the ground rules early establish that Alpha Dog thing and he'll obey like a sweetheart. I rough housed (wresteled) with mine and when she got alittle too rough pinned her to the ground across the neck with my forearm and from then on she was perfect and knew who was the boss. Only once in 12 years did she ever get spanked.

Barbara Woodhouse had a great training book out at one time. She is long gone and the book is most likely out of print but following her advise I trained a English Setter to heal in 10 minutes! Then the same with the above dog a Bedlington Terrier less than 10 minutes. Could walk with both of them w/o a leash and they would be right by your side.

Dogs are awesome. Ours had a great life for 12 years. Came home from work one night to discover my wife and daughter bought a horse! Could neveer afford another dog after that. The horse is pretty cool but DOGS ARE MANS BEST FRIEND!!!!!

T3 AutoDetails
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
These are very smart dogs. Sounds silly but set the ground rules early establish that Alpha Dog thing and he'll obey like a sweetheart. I rough housed (wresteled) with mine and when she got alittle too rough pinned her to the ground across the neck with my forearm and from then on she was perfect and knew who was the boss. Only once in 12 years did she ever get spanked.

Barbara Woodhouse had a great training book out at one time. She is long gone and the book is most likely out of print but following her advise I trained a English Setter to heal in 10 minutes! Then the same with the above dog a Bedlington Terrier less than 10 minutes. Could walk with both of them w/o a leash and they would be right by your side.

Dogs are awesome. Ours had a great life for 12 years. Came home from work one night to discover my wife and daughter bought a horse! Could neveer afford another dog after that. The horse is pretty cool but DOGS ARE MANS BEST FRIEND!!!!!

Yea im trying the alpha male stuff but i've had to do it numerous times and its if he is not learning im the boss. If i go any harder than i am he crys and i dont want to create a timid and fearful dog with my kids around. timid or fearful dogs are questionable to what they will do next.

As far as the heeling goes..WOW, thats great. I have not even tried to put a lead on the dog yet, he just goes outside with me and does his business than comes back in with me. Ill have to try and find that book though.

tuscarora dave
03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
I just bought the D.T. Systems H2O 1820 + field training remote E-Collar for my boy Kinzer (yellow lab) and have been studying the teachings and techniques of blue ribbon gun dog producer/trainer George Hickox.

Pretty interesting stuff. These field training collars aren't the "shock the crap out of your dog" collars of yesteryear, but rather a way to mildly stimulate your dog into taking his/her already well trained status into an excellently trained status.

Kinzer won't be hunting as I'm not a hunter but he spends a lot of time in the field and loves flushing out the birds.

Congrats on your new addition to the family.

TD