PDA

View Full Version : Detailing has a new meaning to me know.

Trey@Autogeek
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I am brand new to the auto detailing world. After 6 and a half years in the US Army I decided to move to Florida and go back to school. My poor car has been with me since before I joined and has been all around the country with me. Took a little bit of a beating in Kansas with the crazy weather. The only reason it was slightly "cleaner" in Washington was because of the rain. I bought the car because of the beautiful blue paint job it had, but I never took care of it the way I should have. The interior has also taken a bit of abuse with all kinds of dirty gear and letting buddies smoke in my car. Needless to say I am really excited that I am a member of this forum and look forward to chatting and learning how to take proper care of my car.

ihaveacamaro
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Welcome!

Best starting advice I could give to you, before you start spending more money than you thought you had: Grab a Griot's Garage Dual Action Buffer along with quality polishes and pads if you can afford it and you'll be able to achieve amazing results! Most people might recommend the Porter Cable, but don't do it! The GG (Griot's Garage) is so much better :)

Oh and if you're only doing your car, find something you like and stick with it! Lots of deals and specials, but if you're only doing your car, you won't need them :)

I bought more stuff than I would need in the beginning, and now I wish I had more money for the things I do need!

Fishincricket
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Glad you're here! Thank you for your service! :)

What kinda car do you have? What color? Any pics?

runrun411
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Welcome!

Oh and if you're only doing your car, find something you like and stick with it! Lots of deals and specials, but if you're only doing your car, you won't need them :)

I bought more stuff than I would need in the beginning, and now I wish I had more money for the things I do need!

That is great advice. Where were you just before I became so addicted.

Trey@Autogeek
02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Thank you for the start up advice. I have an '06 Mazda 3 5 door. I don't have pictures of it yet, but will be taking some to document the work once I get started.

mwoolfso
02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I am brand new to the auto detailing world. After 6 and a half years in the US Army I decided to move to Florida and go back to school. My poor car has been with me since before I joined and has been all around the country with me. Took a little bit of a beating in Kansas with the crazy weather. The only reason it was slightly "cleaner" in Washington was because of the rain. I bought the car because of the beautiful blue paint job it had, but I never took care of it the way I should have. The interior has also taken a bit of abuse with all kinds of dirty gear and letting buddies smoke in my car. Needless to say I am really excited that I am a member of this forum and look forward to chatting and learning how to take proper care of my car.

Best of luck to you in avoiding getting the sickness and OCD behaviors inherent in an auto detailer. :-) Welcome!

kirkatizer
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Welcome! I thought I was a detailer until I joined this forum. Everything you could want is here!

vet
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Welcome! Thanks for serving.

I recommend Mike's book or the video. I've been using DP prodicts, and am happy with them MaxWax, Wheel Glaze). I'm liking Optimum No Rinse too. You'll want a clay bar, AG has some good ones, but so far I've been using the Megs kit OTC.

The pros here will give you good advice, but in the end, it's your choice and your wallet. Find something you like and use it often.

AG has great customer service, you can call or ask questions on line.

wanabe detailer
02-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Welcome be ready for an addicting hobby.

akj
02-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Welcome.. I am new here and to detailing as well. I also was in the army for a few years.
So far I've seen everyone here is real cool and know a lot good luck

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

rmagnus
02-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Army Army naw say it ain't so ... Well ok welcome anyway. :xyxthumbs:

Ok I actually have friends former and current Army. Seriously welcome and have a good time hanging out here. It's the best place to get a detailed education.

CM8 6MT
02-15-2013, 03:19 AM
Welcome Aboard!

BobbyG
02-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Welcome Trey and glad to see you became a member.....:props:

For starters:

Some great reading by none other than Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

Basic steps in order:

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

WRAPT C5Z06
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Welcome! Thanks for serving.

:iagree: