PDA

View Full Version : Product shelf life

runrun411
02-13-2013, 09:21 PM
As my products collection grows I can't help but wonder how long do they keep their effectiveness. Sometimes you'll hear how you can have a product for life. Today I saw a post with someone giving advice not to buy too many products because they don't last too long. what's the real deal here?

jjj
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
I have had products for years and still have had no issue. Keep in normal temps should be fine for a while.

WRXINXS
02-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I kinda wonder also. I keep my products in a temperature controlled environment and I usually go around and shake all my products every once in awhile to keep them from separating.

runrun411
02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
I kinda wonder also. I keep my products in a temperature controlled environment and I usually go around and shake all my products every once in awhile to keep them from separating.

I do the same thing but imagine after you eventually end up with such a large collection having to shake them all.

BobbyG
02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Detailing products are pretty stable and the only time I've ever lost a product, liquid, if by letting it freeze. I've literally had products last well over 20 years and still be fine...

Let's just say the only time I've ever had to discard a liquid product was due to freezing....

runrun411
02-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Detailing products are pretty stable and the only time I've ever lost a product, liquid, if by letting it freeze. I've literally had products last well over 20 years and still be fine...

Let's just say the only time I've ever had to discard a liquid product was due to freezing....

Recently I had a bottle of Meg. Final Inspection that I left in the car and it got frozen. The color went to a somewhat clearish color. I'm gonna make sure my product don't get frozen.

BobbyG
02-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Recently I had a bottle of Meg. Final Inspection that I left in the car and it got frozen. The color went to a somewhat clearish color. I'm gonna make sure my product don't get frozen.

My most recent loss was 1/2 gallon of Adams Detail Spray. I had overlooked it in the fall and it sat in an unheated shed for an entire winter freezing, thawing, then refreezing several times. When I had discovered it the following spring, instead of being a liquid it was lumpy, almost coagulated throughout. I tried to blend it but didn't have any luck at all...Trash....

Wes Bremec
02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I keep products I don't use a lot refrigerated.

CM8 6MT
02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Here in California, in our garages it can drop to 20 degrees during winter, and over 110 in the summer. Not extreme cold, but none the less I keep all my products in a dedicated room in my house.

Dramatic temperature changes from hot to cold isnt good on products. I move my products back in the garage during spring/summer. The way I see it, my detail products are an investment, I wouldnt want them ruined or their effectiveness diminished because of extreme temperature.