PDA

View Full Version : Hummer H2 clear coat question

Lim3
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I have my brothers and fathers hummers which haven't been properly cared for. I've been tossing the idea around to do a full paint correction.

My two questions for the pros.

With a car being driven daily and neglected, what sort of clay bar should I use ?
I was scared to go for an aggressive clay and get to much marring to where the flex 3401 can't correct it.

Also, if any one has had any experience with the h2s clear coat. Thin ? Soft ?

Share your thoughts !

Pureshine
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM
The clay I use everyday is a fine clay and will work great for what your doing.
As for clear coat thickness you will need a paint gage for that and the clear is more to the hard side if I remember right its been awhile since I've done one sorry.
Todd

Lim3
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
The clay I use everyday is a fine clay and will work great for what your doing.
As for clear coat thickness you will need a paint gage for that and the clear is more to the hard side if I remember right its been awhile since I've done one sorry.
Todd

So you think a fine grade clay would be okay for paint that's never been Clayed waxed etc ? They are 2005 and 2007 I think. Could be wrong.

FUNX650
02-13-2013, 05:54 PM
-With a car being driven daily and neglected, what sort of clay bar should I use ?

Have you done the "baggie test" yet?

-I was scared to go for an aggressive clay and get to much marring to where the flex 3401 can't correct it.

It'll be dependent upon choice of pad/product, of course...
But after claying...aggressive, or not...
The Flex 3401 should be able to handle any correction needed that's caused by claying.

-Also, if any one has had any experience with the h2s clear coat. Thin ? Soft ?

Usually: Thin and GM-hard!!
Suggestion:
ALWAYS, ALWAYS do a "test-spot"...No matter what you hear from me...Or anybody else, as far as that goes!!

:)

Bob

Lim3
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
:)

Bob

Thanks bob !

VroomVroom
02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Great advice above. Unless you're trying to remove overspray, paint transfer, or something else really obvious, the fine clay should be fine. You'll just use more of the bar than you would on a vehicle that is either smaller, or has had surface contaminants removed previously. The Flex will have NO problem with correcting any micromarring you cause with the clay. Also....spot-on with the clear description....thin and typical GM deceptively hard.

The more important considerations, I think, are how you want to handle the correction. On your test spot, do you have some pad/product combos in mind? FWIW, I've always been very pleased with LC orange/white and Megs 105/205. If the orange/105 isn't giving you what you want, I'd probably step up the product before stepping up the pad. IME, for example, LC yellow pads are harder to work with than going to M101 (or other aggressive compound/polish). Good luck and have fun...

Pureshine
02-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Here is a picture of fine clay I used on a 2003 Ford Freestyle and the finished look. Sorry for the crappy clay Photo.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Ford%20Freestyle/DSC_0037.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Ford%20Freestyle/DSC_0052.jpg

Lim3
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Great advice above. Unless you're trying to remove overspray, paint transfer, or something else really obvious, the fine clay should be fine. You'll just use more of the bar than you would on a vehicle that is either smaller, or has had surface contaminants removed previously. The Flex will have NO problem with correcting any micromarring you cause with the clay. Also....spot-on with the clear description....thin and typical GM deceptively hard.

The more important considerations, I think, are how you want to handle the correction. On your test spot, do you have some pad/product combos in mind? FWIW, I've always been very pleased with LC orange/white and Megs 105/205. If the orange/105 isn't giving you what you want, I'd probably step up the product before stepping up the pad. IME, for example, LC yellow pads are harder to work with than going to M101 (or other aggressive compound/polish). Good luck and have fun...

Thanks for the info.
I have a few different polishes on hand to try out first. I haven't ordered any pads yet, still figuring out which ones i need.

Lim3
02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Here is a picture of fine clay I used on a 2003 Ford Freestyle and the finished look. Sorry for the crappy clay Photo.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Ford%20Freestyle/DSC_0037.jpg
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o580/kicku9/Ford%20Freestyle/DSC_0052.jpg

Wow that was really contaminated. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pureshine
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Ya the car had never been clayed before. I would get the Meguiars MF pads and D300.Then finished with Menzerna SF4500 and a foam pad.
Todd