PDA

View Full Version : What to do when aggressive clay and machine polishing isn't helping?

Pages : [1] 2

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
So I was in a bind today, I got paid to do a 1-step to spot fix these two panels, and it sucked. To top it all off, it was raining. You really shouldn't use electronics in the rain, but when you're a broke-ish college kid, you do what you have to.

Like MP always says, match your services to your customer, well this lady didn't want anything but the blue paint off her car from where someone hit her.

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-13-13-1-1024x768.jpg

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-13-13-2-1024x768.jpg

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-13-13-3-1024x768.jpg

I started off cleaning it with UWW+. Didn't touch the blue paint transfer.

Moved up to claying with an aggressive grade Optimum Opti-Eraser. Didn't touch it.

Ok, next step, machine compounding with M205 on orange flat pad. Didn't touch it.

Next and most aggressive step was M101 on a GG with a cyan cutting hydrotech pad, and you guessed it, wasn't touching this AT ALL.

Well, I was at a bit of loss at this point. Called the lady telling her what I planned to do and what the risks involved were and she said to go for it.

I took a used gift card and started scraping off the paint transfer. Finally got rid of it, but scratched the living sh!t out of her paint.

Attacked it with M101 again and these were the results.

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-13-13-4-1024x768.jpg

http://www.howtodetailmycar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-13-13-5-1024x768.jpg

So, I don't ever want to do this again. I hated myself for using a card on this lady's poor paint, but it seemed like the only option left. I could've wetsanded but that seemed even more aggressive than the credit card and would've probably removed even more paint.

So what would you do when aggressive claying and machine compounding doesn't fix something?

Thanks,
Roshan

Pureshine
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Did you try wet sanding it first before you took the card to it?

Fishincricket
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Sounds/looks like you sorted it out properly, eh? Plastic razor blades instead, next time?

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Did you try wet sanding it first before you took the card to it?

No, I figured that a plastic card was less aggressive than sanding. So I did that first and it worked.

Sounds/looks like you sorted it out properly, eh? Plastic razor blades instead, next time?

I guess, but I have this horrible feeling about what I did to that paint to get it to there. Is there some chemical that can take off paint transfer but not the original paint?

I doubt it because mechanical abrasion (machine compounding) didn't do the trick. Still, any tips to avoid using a plastic card/razor would be very helpful :)

cgreen1120
02-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Goof Off works great for this.

camaro2ssblack
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I have heard of using lacquer thinner (not paint thinner) but cant speak from experience.

Wheelzntoys
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
I've used plastic razor blades and/or panel wipe.

Once...ummm...gasoline (highly not recommended).

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
I've used plastic razor blades and/or panel wipe.

Once...ummm...gasoline (highly not recommended).

so you think plastic razors are ok to use in this instance? I think that and a plastic card would be about the same aggressiveness.

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Goof Off works great for this.

I've used goof off before and it's great. I'm just not sure it would remove something machine polishing was unable to remove. What are your thoughts?

I have heard of using lacquer thinner (not paint thinner) but cant speak from experience.

Thanks Chase, I'll look into it!

BobbyG
02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Since most paint transfer is superficial, I've found that heating with an ordinary hair dryer then carefully scraping with a plastic razor blade really works well. Next, I like a wool pad on my rotary because again, heat helps.

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Since most paint transfer is superficial, I've found that heating with an ordinary hair dryer then carefully scraping with a plastic razor blade really works well. Next, I like a wool pad on my rotary because again, heat helps.

Ok, I'm starting to feel better knowing how many people have suggested using a plastic razor, which has got to be as aggressive if not more than a plastic card. It seems my intuition wasn't too far off the mark.

Thank you all :props:

Bert31
02-13-2013, 07:46 PM

Never thought of using heat to get paint transfer off, thanks!

cgreen1120
02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I've used goof off before and it's great. I'm just not sure it would remove something machine polishing was unable to remove. What are your thoughts?

I have used it in the past for this very same reason. You must be sure to wash the paint well with warm soapy water very soon after because it will soften clear coat if left on to long. Be sure not to rub hard just let it do it's job and by all means, DO A TEST SPOT. If you read the label it will tell you this is one of it's many uses.

Craig

Evan.J
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Nice turn around!

ihaveacamaro
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
I have used it in the past for this very same reason. You must be sure to wash the paint well with warm soapy water very soon after because it will soften clear coat if left on to long. Be sure not to rub hard just let it do it's job and by all means, DO A TEST SPOT. If you read the label it will tell you this is one of it's many uses.

Craig

Thanks, you've convinced me, I'm getting some!