PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-Dip on my paint... ?

Pages : [1] 2

ComradeGrumbles
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Hello again everyone!

Not sure if this is the right section of the forums, but I consider this to be a detailing topic to an extent. =D

I've been hearing a lot of rave reviews about Plasti-dip and it's ability to customize paint on vehicles, and be totally reversible. I know it's pretty much a sin to spray paint my car's paint, but I think there's some hope in this one. Take a look...

I've had this idea of blacking out certain parts of my MX-5 to bring on a meaner look than it currently has. I photoshopped my best approximation of what it may look like. Sorry ahead of time for my poor photoshop skills. For starts, the plasti-dip would not be glossy, at least not as much as it would appear in photoshop. But it at least gives an idea...

Sorry about the size of the photos... you should just be able to click them to enlarge.

Before:

After

Note: I may end up skipping the wheels and leaving them as is due to the complexity of that portion. I have painted wheels before with success, but the results weren't perfect due to the difficult shapes and contours of wheels.

My main question is, has anyone ever used this stuff before? Also, is it really safe? My goal is to achieve a cool look, but yet still be able to reverse it if I wanted to in a year or two.

Comments?

DRT BRD
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Hello again everyone!

Not sure if this is the right section of the forums, but I consider this to be a detailing topic to an extent. =D

I've been hearing a lot of rave reviews about Plasti-dip and it's ability to customize paint on vehicles, and be totally reversible. I know it's pretty much a sin to spray paint my car's paint, but I think there's some hope in this one. Take a look...

I've had this idea of blacking out certain parts of my MX-5 to bring on a meaner look than it currently has. I photoshopped my best approximation of what it may look like. Sorry ahead of time for my poor photoshop skills. For starts, the plasti-dip would not be glossy, at least not as much as it would appear in photoshop. But it at least gives an idea...

Sorry about the size of the photos... you should just be able to click them to enlarge.

Before:

After

Note: I may end up skipping the wheels and leaving them as is due to the complexity of that portion. I have painted wheels before with success, but the results weren't perfect due to the difficult shapes and contours of wheels.

My main question is, has anyone ever used this stuff before? Also, is it really safe? My goal is to achieve a cool look, but yet still be able to reverse it if I wanted to in a year or two.

Comments?

Welcome!

Yes plastidip is perfectly safe for your paint. I've sprayed my entire car (beater) since it was in a fender bender and had different colored panels. I didn't want to spend too much nd researched this a ton and took the plunge. I've had mine since early October and its been holding up great. They do make. Clear for it that will add some gloss if you would like. But overall the stuff is amazing and prep is easy. Just make sure the surface is clean and dry! The key to it is spraying light coats soothe coating self levels. Let me get my pics and post them up shortly.

BrutalNoodle
02-11-2013, 11:27 PM
I like the stock finishing over the black-out look, but a quick search and:

CLICK (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52710-clean-wheels-short-term-plastidip.html)

ihaveacamaro
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Yes, and I wouldn't recommend. There will be hundreds of people who will recommend it however.

I used to be one of those people.

The thing is, it totally depends on what you're going to do. Overspray can be difficult to remove. For example my wheels used to be plastidipped white, but when I took it off it was a b!tch to remove! The overspray was in the barrels and it took me thirty minutes a wheel to get it clean.

Furthermore, if you live in a hot area, plastidip almost melts onto your paint. It becomes much more difficult to remove.

On paint, it looks great, when done correctly. If you live in a sunny area, and you leave it on for a year or two, be prepared for a hard time though.

I'm not an expert with plastidip, but I have done about 5 sets of wheels, and fifteen body parts/panels, so I do know what I'm doing and this comes from experience. :)

I think the ideal thing for plastidip is to see if you like the look for a few days or weeks, and then peel it off and get it painted.

I will say that it works on a budget though!

BradsDetailing
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Used it on my front grill trim and rear trim above the license plate to also get a more manly meaner look out of it. Put it on sometime during early fall and still looks great. Reluctantly took it through some automatic car washes and still looks perfect.

ComradeGrumbles
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Thank everyone for all the feedback.

As of now, I plan on doing a test spot on some factory-painted splash guards that I am not particularly attached to. We'll see how safe it is on the paint when I pull it off in a month or so.

As of now, my main concern is for the safety of the paint when I do inevitably pull this off. I can't imagine I would have it on for more than a year at most, this is more of a phase for me.

I live in PA, so it can get hot, but not REALLY hot. So hopefully I won't have melting issues. =D

Big Boi
02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
DipYourCar.com is 10 minutes from me. I've seen dotted cars and they look great

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

1oldsalt
02-12-2013, 05:14 AM
Wrap it.

swanicyouth
02-12-2013, 08:31 AM
I've done it trim - don't do it. It was a waste of time & money. First off, the look is not that great. It looks like, well, Plasti Dip. Second, the durability is poor.

DRT BRD
02-12-2013, 09:18 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/3698_10200658627047180_1753392565_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/285721_10200658629607244_2086706580_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/281558_10200658625087131_549331443_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/297263_10200658636327412_1326249114_n.jpg

Mine came out really really well and I haven't experienced anything like the above have mentioned. I also live in Texas and the durability has been everything plus more that I expected. Prep is essential like anything else.

Roshan - did you not think to cover the barrels? I wouldn't think you would spray paint the wheels with out covering the rubber so why not the barrels too? Just wondering.

This was all out of the rattle can plastidip with a sprayer attachment to engage the trigger easier and much smoother. Light coats were the key and around 5 was the sweet spot I found.

'03 Ram 5.9
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
+1 on recommending. i've had it on my rims for about 8 months. i;'ve taken it off and put fresh coats on and the removal is easy with no harm to the clear coated rims

ihaveacamaro
02-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey Brian,

I actually did not cover my barrels because the overspray makes the wheels look more uniform. Being silver and having a white face would have just looked bad.

camaro2ssblack
02-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I think its great for things like emblems, grills, and even wheels. I p'dipped the cheap fake chrome tail light bezels on my Camaro and love the look. I would stay away from putting it on a painted panel for any prolonged amount of time unless its your beater DD.

SYMAWD
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I love plasti-dip. Never had an issue using it.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/SYMAWD/IMAG0508.jpg

BudsJLM
02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Contacted the manufature about a year and a half ago,

Thier response was that it is safe from somthing like -30f to 300f and is clear coat safe for up to a year