PDA

View Full Version : Dilutuion % of IPA

poko
02-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi, I am planning to use IPA to wipe off the paint clean after polishing (with Meg 205) and before paste wax. I got a 70% IPA bottle, does anyone know what dilution percentage is best for this purpose?
Thanks

1953hogan
02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

poko
02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

The link gives me great info. Thanks!:)

ShaunD
02-12-2013, 12:41 AM
While it could only help the wax bond better to the paint, it's not that critical will waxes to strip the paint. If you are wanting to check your polishing work to make sure defects were corrected and no marring was left behind then that's understandable. I opt for using a waterless wash or QD with a plush MF to ensure you don't induce any toweling marks. This is all highly recommended if you have soot paint as it is. Either way, as you go forward with your final wipedown before waxing, male sure you test the ipa mix on a small section to make sure it doesn't have any adverse effects on your paint. Best of detailing to you.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

poko
02-13-2013, 12:09 AM
While it could only help the wax bond better to the paint, it's not that critical will waxes to strip the paint. If you are wanting to check your polishing work to make sure defects were corrected and no marring was left behind then that's understandable. I opt for using a waterless wash or QD with a plush MF to ensure you don't induce any toweling marks. This is all highly recommended if you have soot paint as it is. Either way, as you go forward with your final wipedown before waxing, male sure you test the ipa mix on a small section to make sure it doesn't have any adverse effects on your paint. Best of detailing to you.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

If it could help the wax better bond to the paint, I prefer it. Quite often the residue of SwirlX and M205 is not easily wiped off with dry MF, so I used QD for removing any visible residue. But now I think IPA will not leave anything behind than QD might do, while cleans the paint as QD does. I tried about 10% IPA with Griot's Uber-Soft Cloth. This worked excellent.

PiPUK
02-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Just a little note for those interested - wax does not really bond, it just sort of sits there. Cleanliness remains important to ensure there are no surfactant type residues which may degrade lifetime.

runrun411
02-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Griot's has a product called paint prep. It's supposed to be pretty good at removing polish residue before waxing.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Griot's has a product called paint prep. It's supposed to be pretty good at removing polish residue before waxing.
It's excellent!

Mike Phillips
02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Just a little note for those interested - wax does not really bond, it just sort of sits there. Cleanliness remains important to ensure there are no surfactant type residues which may degrade lifetime.

It's mechanical bond, kind of like if you drew line on car paint using a crayon?

That's why sometimes when I type about this aspect I'll say something like,

bond/stick/adhere/ or whatever magic the protection ingredients use to stay on the paint

:D

PiPUK
02-13-2013, 10:50 AM
It's mechanical bond, kind of like if you drew line on car paint using a crayon?

That's why sometimes when I type about this aspect I'll say something like,

bond/stick/adhere/ or whatever magic the protection ingredients use to stay on the paint

:D

Bingo! It is pedantic, I know, but we do have products which form very defined chemical bonds so it is important to realise the difference (well, for a pro it is). Something like wax has much less necessity for cleanliness than, for instance, an opticoat type product because the wax will more or less coat anything that is there whilst the opticoat will simply refuse to bond to anything other than the paint (such as the contaminants).

Just wait until we get genuine super hydrophobic coatings... detailers will be getting clean rooms and be needing large scale UV ovens to get the job done!