PDA

View Full Version : Towel Edges

Pages : [1] 2

WRXINXS
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I noticed that most of the high quality microfiber towels have either "Satin", "Silk", or "Microfiber" edges on them. Will any of these swirl/scratch and is one type recommend over the others?

rmagnus
02-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Most of mine are silk but no they all are fine. I really don't over think this stuff. Keep it simple.

BrutalNoodle
02-11-2013, 11:50 PM
From sheer boredom, I've removed a few edges on some of my towels to see how they would fare.

CG yellow super towel
CG Monster blue
Autoality's purple plush (Korean)
Autoality's ultra soft
MFtech's extra fluffy grey (Korean)

So far they're holding up better than expected (I was expecting lint invasion) after a recent 5th wash. The only one that looks like it might give out soon is MFT grey. The rest look as if they could have been produced without borders, particularly the purple & Monster blue.

I'll be picking up a camera this Sat, and will post a few shots of the ghetto mod towels.

psynx
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9e9ACPPr8]What is Microfiber? - A Guide to Choosing the Perfect Microfiber Towel - Chemical Guys Car Care - YouTube[/video]

WRXINXS
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. What worries me is if all the AG towel edges will pass the CD Test? We have only their word to go on that the edges are actually silk or satin and I read some reviews that other towels that have "silk" or "satin" edges might be some other material and may scratch. I'm not saying I don't trust AG though.

BrutalNoodle
02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
I understand your concern. Heck, if I have a beauty like that (so jealous of your FD), I'd be extra cautious myself. Personally, I'd go edgeless on paint.

Now, I try not to OCD myself to death as it's already bad enough as it is, but I haven't been consistent with the 'cd test'. Once in a while I would randomly select a towel and give it a go, and it would pass with an A. In the back of my mind, however, I'm aware that not every single towel would yield the same result, or the same towel might fail with a big fat F after the next cycle.

Testing every single towel after each wash is doable, but if it gets to that point, I think I have a bigger issue to deal with than scratchy microfibers... LOL

Pureshine
02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I have had towels with edges and have never seen any marring ever after buffing a car. The only thing I suggest with MF towels is you get what you pay for. MF towels is one thing never to go cheap on for polishing towels.
Todd

cleanmycorolla
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What worries me is if all the AG towel edges will pass the CD Test? We have only their word to go on that the edges are actually silk or satin and I read some reviews that other towels that have "silk" or "satin" edges might be some other material and may scratch. I'm not saying I don't trust AG though.

This isn't bashing you, but the "cd test"....IMO the CD test is such a garbage random test that doesn't mean anything. I've scrathed cd's with optical grade microfiber towels, but the same towel didnt scratch my glasses, iphone or ipads or my cars paint....and my toyota paint is soft, you sneeze and it scratches....IMO that test is so silly. IMO if you're scratching paint with a microfiber towel, it's either not quality, you're wiping off wrong, or your towel or paint still has something on it. Just my opinion though, and a rant :/

:dblthumb2:

WRXINXS
02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
I understand your concern. Heck, if I have a beauty like that (so jealous of your FD), I'd be extra cautious myself. Personally, I'd go edgeless on paint.

Now, I try not to OCD myself to death as it's already bad enough as it is, but I haven't been consistent with the 'cd test'. Once in a while I would randomly select a towel and give it a go, and it would pass with an A. In the back of my mind, however, I'm aware that not every single towel would yield the same result, or the same towel might fail with a big fat F after the next cycle.

Testing every single towel after each wash is doable, but if it gets to that point, I think I have a bigger issue to deal with than scratchy microfibers... LOL

LOL! Yeah I might be overthinking it and dont want to get to "that point" either!

I have had towels with edges and have never seen any marring ever after buffing a car. The only thing I suggest with MF towels is you get what you pay for. MF towels is one thing never to go cheap on for polishing towels.
Todd

So true, I'm going to stick with high quality towels for my paint and not worry so much about edges. I usually go with AG / Carpro / Pakshak and these all seem to be great quality!

This isn't bashing you, but the "cd test"....IMO the CD test is such a garbage random test that doesn't mean anything. I've scrathed cd's with optical grade microfiber towels, but the same towel didnt scratch my glasses, iphone or ipads or my cars paint....and my toyota paint is soft, you sneeze and it scratches....IMO that test is so silly. IMO if you're scratching paint with a microfiber towel, it's either not quality, you're wiping off wrong, or your towel or paint still has something on it. Just my opinion though, and a rant :/

:dblthumb2:

I def see what you are saying. I was wondering if the CD test not really not a great test in the back of my mind. And it does seem random to compare a CD surface with car paint with so many types of paint/clear coat. Seems like good quality MF should be just fine.

Drew

BrutalNoodle
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I usually go with AG / Carpro / Pakshak and these all seem to be great quality!

You have some quality towels, there. :props:

May I also suggest Autofiber Zero Edge? By no exaggeration, it's a close rival to the orange BOA in terms of softness and the way it glides over the finish. Quite a performer for the money.

Jrocket
02-12-2013, 12:56 PM
You have some quality towels, there. :props:

May I also suggest Autofiber Zero Edge? By no exaggeration, it's a close rival to the orange BOA in terms of softness and the way it glides over the finish. Quite a performer for the money.

I have to agree! these are some of my favorite towels!!!

and a great price!! :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
What worries me is if all the AG towel edges will pass the CD Test?

I've heard some folks say:
'I don't buy MF towels to use on CD's, so why test them on a CD. Why not test them on
the vehicle surface that you're actually going to be using them on'?

I say:
Probably the truest test if a MF towel will scratch, is to try it on an inconspicuous area
of vehicles' surfaces (including the paint), and look for marring/scratches/swirls/etc...under several types of light.

But then again...
-If MF towels don't scratch during: "The CD-Test"...
a vehicle stands a better chance of not having blemishes inflicted to them.

-Even if MF towels do scratch during: "The CD Test"...doesn't always mean they'll scratch vehicles' surfaces...
(Especially since CC-paint is usually harder than a CD.)
Caution is warranted, though...IMHO.

-I go one step farther whenever I do a CD test. I apply some polish or wax to a CD;
let it dry; then buff it off using the same pressure and technique I would use on the car.

Now...
You may have noticed that I did not make a seperate issue between MF towels and MF towel borders.

Accordingly...
CD test or not...Any "fabric", including Microfiber can scratch vehicle surface areas...including 'paint'.

We have only their word to go on that the edges are actually silk or satin and I read some reviews that other towels that have "silk" or "satin" edges might be some other material and may scratch. I'm not saying I don't trust AG though.
One way to test to see if MF towel borders are not silk/satin:

Pick a MF towel from a recent order...Put a match to a section of the border..
If the border: 'pulls away from you', blackens-up into hard little globules...
they're probably made from some sort of 'plastic'...

-But, then again, so are MF towels that are made from polyesters/polyamides.

After the: "Burn Test"...
Do as BrutalNoodle instructs below:

...I've removed a few edges on some of my towels to see how they would fare.

One more thing...
Excessive downward-force, measured in PSI, while using any MF towel, 'borders' notwithstanding...
Is also another factor to consider, in trying to avoid inducing unwanted blemishes.

:)

Bob

CM8 6MT
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I've heard some folks say:
'I don't buy MF towels to use on CD's, so why test them on a CD. Why not test them on
the vehicle surface that you're actually going to be using them on'?

I say:
Probably the truest test if a MF towel will scratch, is to try it on an inconspicuous area
of vehicles' surfaces (including the paint), and look for marring/scratches/swirls/etc...under several types of light.

But then again...
-If MF towels don't scratch during: "The CD-Test"...
a vehicle stands a better chance of not having blemishes inflicted to them.

-Even if MF towels do scratch during: "The CD Test"...doesn't always mean they'll scratch vehicles' surfaces...
(Especially since CC-paint is usually harder than a CD.)
Caution is warranted, though...IMHO.

-I go one step farther whenever I do a CD test. I apply some polish or wax to a CD;
let it dry; then buff it off using the same pressure and technique I would use on the car.

Now...
You may have noticed that I did not make a seperate issue between MF towels and MF towel borders.

Accordingly...
CD test or not...Any "fabric", including Microfiber can scratch vehicle surface areas...including 'paint'.

One way to test to see if MF towel borders are not silk/satin:

Pick a MF towel from a recent order...Put a match to a section of the border..
If the border: 'pulls away from you', blackens-up into hard little globules...
they're probably made from some sort of 'plastic'...

-But, then again, so are MF towels that are made from polyesters/polyamides.

After the: "Burn Test"...
Do as BrutalNoodle instructs below:

One more thing...
Excessive downward-force, measured in PSI, while using any MF towel, 'borders' notwithstanding...
Is also another factor to consider, in trying to avoid inducing unwanted blemishes.

+10 Very well said Bob!!

spiralout462
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
If I find a nice towel scratching I believe it is probably from particles on the paint not the towel itself.

WRXINXS
02-12-2013, 05:38 PM
+10 Very well said Bob!!

Agreed!:xyxthumbs: