PDA

View Full Version : Very light yellow stain on white paint

Crazy Diamond
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
When moving a newly painted 280 Z, someone had taken off their gloves and touched the door, the place where the door was touched left a very light colored stain, it's so light that I can't even snap a photo of it. I'm thinking this was caused from the oils of this persons skin, it has been sanded with 1500 and 2000 grit and the stain still remains, also tried a 3M compound, any ideas what to try next to rid this stain. Thanks to all. Feed back please

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 12:01 PM
When moving a newly painted 280 Z, someone had taken off their gloves and touched the door, the place where the door was touched left a very light colored stain, it's so light that I can't even snap a photo of it. I'm thinking this was caused from the oils of this persons skin, it has been sanded with 1500 and 2000 grit and the stain still remains, also tried a 3M compound, any ideas what to try next to rid this stain. Thanks to all. Feed back please

Wow!

Sanded and the stain remains?

This must be a single stage paint as single stage paints tend to be more porous than clear coats.

This means it's easier for a stain, (offending substance), to penetrate into single stage paint whereas with clear coat paints stains tend to be very topical or "on the surface only".

What year is this Datsun 280Z?

Did you see color/pigment coming off when you worked on it?

:)

Crazy Diamond
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
It a 1982, guy told me the paint is one year old, no color came off when sanding, I think the stain may have been there before the clear was shot on, I can't think of any other reason that it wouldn't sand of buff out.

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
It a 1982, guy told me the paint is one year old, no color came off when sanding, I think the stain may have been there before the clear was shot on, I can't think of any other reason that it wouldn't sand of buff out.

That would be my guess.

The stain was there or appeared "after" the clear was shot.

There was an issue like this a few years ago in a thread I was involved in where a guy that had a custom paint job on a Corvette with a custom hood scoop added to the hood.

All the areas around the edges of the hood scoop where some type of filler/bondo was used turned the paint yellow after the clear was applied.

The only way to fix this is to repaint.

Pureshine
02-11-2013, 02:25 PM
That would be my guess.

The stain was there or appeared "after" the clear was shot.

There was an issue like this a few years ago in a thread I was involved in where a guy that had a custom paint job on a Corvette with a custom hood scoop added to the hood.

All the areas around the edges of the hood scoop where some type of filler/bondo was used turned the paint yellow after the clear was applied.

The only way to fix this is to repaint.

+1 I agree with mike before clear went on.

Crazy Diamond
02-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Thank you mike

ShaunD
02-11-2013, 04:38 PM
To know for sure have the owner contact the painter/body guy to know what brands and types of filler, primer, base and clear was used and one could identify where bleed through could've occurred. Slightly irrelevant but, everyone will be the wiser for the future and possibly how to correct the issues. I would think the wrong primer/sealer was used with the body filler; or something along those lines. But I am not an expert.:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online