PDA

View Full Version : Wheel protection

Triple Shine
02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey all....I've got a '10 Denali with the factory chrome wheels. Up here in Canada with the harsh salt and crap they put down on the roads I'm worried about my wheels. What product should I coat them with to guard them? Gm replaced one set already....at a cost of $4,000. They suggested wheel wax telling me they won't replace them a second time.

Any recommendations?

Pureshine
02-11-2013, 11:30 AM
You can use Wolf's Rim Shield works amazing I had it on my rims for 6 months still working good.

Qusai
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Damn^^ I hope the 476c I applied lasts that long on the wheelies

Meticulous-Detail
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I use 476s on wheels too works well.

'03 Ram 5.9
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
if you really want them fully protected look into plasti-dip. look it up on youtube. i have it on my truck.

BobbyG
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
There a number of alternatives but depending on your ultimate goal will dictate your coating....

Sealants & Waxes

Waxes and sealants will certainly protect and keep the chrome looking great but in that environment they won't last long I'm afraid.

Paste Wax

You could apply a thicker paste wax like Collinite 476 and leave it for winter then clean the wheel in the spring...But this wouldn't look very nice in the meantime.

Spray Coatings

Boeshield T-9 (http://boeshield.com/boeshield-t9-technical-data/)is a waxy coating that forms a thick barrier sealing what ever it's applied to. I use it to protect anything I want to keep from rusting.

Audios S6
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Opti-coat 2.0 and you should be good for several years.

I think what you'll find with the chrome and sand combo is that you will get some pitting from them being sandblasted regardless of what wax you put on. At least with opti-coat you have a true sacrificial barrier to protect them, although it will wear away eventually with abrasion.

If you really love the OEM wheels I'd suggest looking into getting a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires, maybe you could find a set of beat up OEMs from someone, get the same look all year long and not worry about trashing your brand new set.

Vive_le_sport
02-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I would say Gtechniq C5 ,extremely durable and very easy to clean,suitable for matte,chrome,painted and alu surfaces.

Triple Shine
02-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks all for the reply's!

I definitely will use one of these to protect them. Warranty runs out in Oct! A set of OEM beaters is in the cards for next fall.

Johny B
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Opti-coat 2.0 and you should be good for several years.

I think what you'll find with the chrome and sand combo is that you will get some pitting from them being sandblasted regardless of what wax you put on. At least with opti-coat you have a true sacrificial barrier to protect them, although it will wear away eventually with abrasion.

If you really love the OEM wheels I'd suggest looking into getting a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires, maybe you could find a set of beat up OEMs from someone, get the same look all year long and not worry about trashing your brand new set.

:iagree: