PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washers

Pages : [1] 2

CAD
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a pressure washer. I can get one on sale at home depot for $170. It's some "power stroke" brand I've never heard of with 2200 psi. Is that enough pressure? Does anyone have input. Would I need more than that to wash customers cars. Seems like it would be fine but I've never had one. Thanks

MikeN
02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Check out the green works 1700psi at lowes. A few people suggested it to me and that is the one I am leaning toward

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

KenR
02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Bought the Karcher Series X 2000psi electric last month from Pressure Washers Direct. Wanted something better than the standard home depot fare but didn't want a gas powered model. Plan to use it for the usual projects (house, brick patio and driveway). Also bought a foam cannon to use with the Karcher. Now all I need is nice weather to work with it. My advice is read some reviews before you get the HD model. And the Karcher isn't that much more expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

The Moose
02-10-2013, 07:56 PM
I had the Green 1700 from Lowes for a little while. I was disappointed with it and returned it after about a week.

I then moved to the Cleanforce 1800 and its okay, but also not enough. It has more GPM and PSI than the Green, but still pretty weak.

I now (maybe 6 months after buying the green) use a 2700 psi 2.7gpm honda powered unit that has been in my parents garage for a few years and it is GREAT. Maybe on the verge of a little too strong, but if you're careful it's great. Also works awesome with my MTM foam cannon (far better than the cleanforce and green did)

Id say 2200-2500 psi, 2.3-2.7gpm is ideal for washing cars.

is this it?
PowerStroke (http://www.powerstroketools.com/product_pressure_washer_PS80516A_2200_PSI_gas_pres sure_washer.php)

The GPM is a little lower than I'd consider ideal, but it should serve your needs as far as cleaning power.

To put it all into perspective. With the Cleanforce 1800 PSI, I can put my hand about 5-6 inches from the tip with the "general" tip, and it doesn't hurt, or leave a lasting mark. I have accidentally hit my foot with the 2700 before from about the same distance (in highschool washing a deck bare foot) and it left a pretty nice cut.

Think of these tools as "lifetime" tools and get something you can "grow into". Don't limit yourself by going small, it will only cost you more money when you're not satisfied.

jwellsii
02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Think of these tools as "lifetime" tools and get something you can "grow into". Don't limit yourself by going small, it will only cost you more money when you're not satisfied.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: 100%

Johny B
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
You will find interesting informations here Quick Find (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/quick_search.php)

CAD
02-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Okay, thanks. I will do some more research and hopefully feel good about a specific model.

HellaBroke
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
gas with high gpm for the win! love my honda 3000psi 2.7gpm! good for everything! car house etc! best investment/toy so far!
(careful with high psi..)

Big Boi
02-11-2013, 02:25 AM
Bought an Excell XC2800 2800 PSI of CL for $200. Previous owner used it once. Still looks brand new!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/BigHen36/20130205_201235_zpsc3598320.jpg

Stock Photo:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BvlRT1CcL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

rlloyd
02-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Nice find. Mine just died I may have to check in to that one.

cardaddy
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Think of these tools as "lifetime" tools and get something you can "grow into". Don't limit yourself by going small, it will only cost you more money when you're not satisfied.

:whs: :dblthumb2:

I don't even remember what I paid for my 13hp Honda 4.5gpm/3600psi but it was on sale, and it was worth every penny! It's more than you need for a regular car @BigBoi.... AWESOME find brother! :props:

Big Boi
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
:whs: :dblthumb2:

I don't even remember what I paid for my 13hp Honda 4.5gpm/3600psi but it was on sale, and it was worth every penny! It's more than you need for a regular car @BigBoi.... AWESOME find brother! :props:

Thx man!

I wished I could've snagged that Dewalt pw I had my eye on, but this one will do. My friend has the same 13hp Honda with a CAT pump.... 4000psi!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

cardaddy
02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Thx man!

I wished I could've snagged that Dewalt pw I had my eye on, but this one will do. My friend has the same 13hp Honda with a CAT pump.... 4000psi!

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Tell ya' what, you shoulda' seen the monster a friend of mine used to have. (He had a commercial pressure washing business.) That puppy would shoot 210° water, at 5gpm over 4500psi downstream, with a high pressure soap dispenser! It'd peel the chrome off a trailer hitch! (or was that his ex wi......... ) ROTFL

BobbyG
02-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Pressure washers are a great tool to have and do a fabulous job at cleaning and removing dirt and grime. There are a lot of pressure washers available today in a wide variety of makes, models, PSI, and horsepower. How much does one really need is somewhat subjective. For general automotive detailing I suspect a washer in the 1700 to 2200 PSI range is adequate...

Fluid pressure is not like horsepower. We can have 800hp under the hood but if we're careful how hard we step on the gas peddle it's relatively easy to control...

PSI on a pressure washer is controlled by the tip or nozzles orifice. Damaging or completely ruining something with a pressure washer is easy to do if you're not careful. While I'm not sure exactly certain how much pressure it takes, people have lost fingers and other body parts due to accidents using these washers...

Pressure washers are an example or more may not be better so be careful...

jwellsii
02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
on bigger units you can adjust the pressure at the unloader. I can adjust mine from 50 to 4000 psi.