PDA

View Full Version : need help on heavy oxidized 1995 javelin

worm
02-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I recently purchased a PC 7424xp to help restore a 1995 javelin FS. The Javelin has what I would call a heavy oxidized gel coat with a few scratches in need of some TLC. I am new to boat detailing and need some help with what products, pads, and steps to use to restore the gel coat and keep it protected, for I live in southern Indiana where the sun and humidity can be harsh in the summer time. I keep the boat cover on during down times to keep as much sun off as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance!

Detail-Impressions
02-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Rotary buffer with wool pad Compound Megs 105, polish 205, Collinite 845 wax

Crazy Amos
02-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Rotary buffer with wool pad Compound Megs 105, polish 205, Collinite 845 wax

if you dont have a rotary, arent comfortable with it or dont want to buy one then a wool pad on your PC is an absolute must. Dont waste your time with foam if its heavily oxidated.

I use the LC Purple Foam Wool pad, its wonderful.

If you can pull it inside a garage to avoid the heat amd wind, you will be saving yourself some heartache.

You could go the 1-2-3 approach and comound-polish-wax or just go with an AIO.

Generally you want to stick with dedicated boat/rv specific products. Gel coat is much different than paint and the abrasives and all around chemical mixtures are different. Such as the boat/rv abrasives are harder since they will need to cut the gel coat.

If you decide to go the AIO route, I recommend Meguiar's Boat/RV Cleaner Wax. Use this with an Foam Wool pad, then follow up with a orange or white pad.

Hope this helps.

Hoytman
02-10-2013, 02:54 AM
I respectfully disagree about using a wool pad on a dual action polisher, and with using foam on heavily oxidized gel-coat.

I personally think the wool on a Dual action polisher is a waste of time, and would certainly make an already under powered DA, even less powerful.

While we all know that a rotary and wool is the best tools to use on gel-coat. What we don't know is if he has a rotary, or wants to purchase one. Until more information is learned from him/her we must try and read into the situation and make suggestions accordingly.

For the record, myself, as well as B&B Tennessee have been quite successful using foam with a rotary on gel-coat with stunning results.

I happen to believe that it's possible with a DA, albeit it takes longer. Not everyone who visits this forum wants to be a detailer, therefore we have to be open to alternative suggestions...even if more time is involved in the detailing process, or even in the explanation of what can and cannot be done.

I'm not going to make a big long post here because even before posting in this thread I have already sent this person a hopefully helpful, and very lengthy pm full of suggestions.

However, for those reading in the future on this thread, it is quite possible to achieve the desired results with a dual action polisher, just expect it to take a tad more time.

These pads Meguiars Burgundy Soft Buff 4 Inch Foam Cutting Pads, compounding pads, buffer pads (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-soft-buff-cutting-pads.html) couple with Meguiars M67 One Step Marine Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-one-step-marine-compound.html) can make quick work of some pretty bad oxidation on speed 6 with a PC72424xp. That product coupled with the smaller pad can make a pcxp quite a useful tool. Those pads also fit the lines of this boat pretty well.

I don't disagree that wool on a rotary is the best choice. However, we don't even know if he has one let alone having experience with it.

Also, from the information that I've seen posted here and elsewhere, Meguiar's Flagship Cleaner Wax is a tad bit more aggressive than their M50 Boat/RV Cleaner Wax. However, both are good quality one-steps for maintenance if a one-step is desirable. I do think that Collinite 920 would be a better one-step choice, as is Duragloss 501...for maintenance once the compounding/polishing is completed.

In short, there will be responses all over the map with regard to responses and suggestions. Most will work fine and are simply alternatives.

One things is certain, M67 works fabulously in one easy step with one foam or wool pad combination...and Collinite wax 885,476,845 are bullet proof...just like DG105. Like the energizer bunny they last, and last...and last.