PDA

View Full Version : M105/M205 Pad Selection

Elliott.lwy
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Which pad could obtain the best result from m105 and m205 combo?

I know yellow pad gives the most agressive cutting with m105 on DA, would the gap be too big if I finish off with m205 on gray pad, or MF finishing pad?

rmagnus
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Do a test spot first to be sure. There's no concrete solution. Generally M105 yellow cutting pad followed by M205 on a white polishing pad. Wax/Sealant grey or red pad.

Your grey pad with M205 may not be all that effective but try it. I've found polishing pads work better with M205. Now you could start with M105 on a white polishing pad to be more conservative but I still think you'll need a polishing pad with the M205.

Your paint hardness, color and condition will beed to be taken into consideration, hence the test spot.

CM8 6MT
02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Which pad could obtain the best result from m105 and m205 combo?

I know yellow pad gives the most agressive cutting with m105 on DA, would the gap be too big if I finish off with m205 on gray pad, or MF finishing pad?

Depends on your paint. You might be able to pull it off on butter soft paint. I wouldn't recommend it. Start off with an orange pad, and finish down with a white pad. If you had very light defects, then yeah you can correct with M205 & a gray pad alone. For moderate deffects, not so much.

spiralout462
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I just did my wifes Camry with 205 and a white pad only. 105 is pretty aggressive, I have used it with an orange pad for spot correction. Test spots are the only way to know what you're paint system needs.

Elliott.lwy
02-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Would m205 with white pad remove swirls and light scratches? Or is there any product you guys would recommend? Thanks for input btw.

CM8 6MT
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Would m205 with white pad remove swirls and light scratches? Or is there any product you guys would recommend? Thanks for input btw.

It can, but like Rmagnus stated you wont know unless you do a Test Spot. A test spot will tell you right away what works & what doesnt work given any paint system.

Below is a thread I wrote about working with M205. I corrected very soft clear with just M205 & a Gray pad.

www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html

Elliott.lwy
02-08-2013, 10:25 PM
It can, but like Rmagnus stated you wont know unless you do a Test Spot. A test spot will tell you right away what works & what doesnt work given any paint system.

Below is a thread I wrote about working with M205. I corrected very soft clear with just M205 & a Gray pad.

www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59393-maximize-your-product-s-full-potential.html

Great! Thanks. I see you were using m21 after correction. Would you put glaze first or sealant first? I have been browsing around and cannot find an answer to it. Some people say putting sealant on top of glaze would diminish the durability of sealant.

spiralout462
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
No need for a glaze if you polish. You will have a smooth defect free finish, ready for sealant or wax.

Just my two cents.

CM8 6MT
02-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Great! Thanks. I see you were using m21 after correction. Would you put glaze first or sealant first? I have been browsing around and cannot find an answer to it. Some people say putting sealant on top of glaze would diminish the durability of sealant.

Thats about as debatable as layering, but in short if you wanted to use a glaze, I would put down the glaze first & then top off with a sealant OR better yet a carnuba based wax. Just be aware that the glaze will only last 2-3 days at most (depending on brand).

Im not a big fan of using glazes, you can get the same high gloss finish with a deffect swirl free paint. A glaze will give you that extra pop, but like I stated earlier it will be short lived.