PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't everyone use Opti Coat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bill220
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I've been reading up a bit on Opti Coat and it seems to me that this would be the ideal way to preserve a car's finish on a long term basis. So my question is, why wouldn't everyone apply this to their own vehicle if it works as advertised (and it seems to do just that)?

I'm kicking myself for buying Blacklight and Lava instead of this stuff. The way I see it, I'll need to re-apply the Blacklight and Lava every few months or earlier, which increases the chance that I'll induce marring or swirls. But with Opti Coat, it's one and done.

Are there any downsides to Opti Coat?

Pureshine
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
I use it on my car but not every customer is willing to pay the price for it and your average person has no idea what Opti Coat is.
Todd

TimmyG
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Good question!

I have debated using it on my Vette, but I enjoy trying different high quality paste waxes, sealants, and coatings (non "permanent") too much to apply opti-coat to it.

My camry is opti-coated however and has held up quite well. As far as daily drivers are concerned, every DD should be coated imo!

Andr3wilson
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
If I had OC on my car... It would be turning my back on my wax fridge!

Detail_Dude
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
If I had OC on my car... It would be turning my back on my wax fridge!

Do you seriously keep your waxes refrigerated?

swanicyouth
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
There is a few reasons why I don't:

1. It may not give a carnuba "glow"

2. Sprucing up your paint with a paint cleaner with a glaze or light polish every few months and topping it with a sealant or wax (or both) really adds pop to the finish IMHO. OC looks best day 1. There is no way really to "refresh" it.

3. If you do any "work" (polishing) on the OptiCoat its impossible to know if you've gone through the coating for sure. With traditional products, this is no big deal.

4. While the product does work as advertised, not everyone gets the results as advertised :(. This could be user error, peculiarities to the paint, or an environmental issue not predicted by the manufacturer. For whatever reason, OC seemed to only last me 6 months. Prior to application, I did multiple IPA wipe downs (70% undiluted). I don't know why it didn't last. I do know I topped it with many spray waxes, so in not sure If that may have messed it up.

5. A lot of us like trying new products and aren't looking for the longest lasting product. Looks may play more of a role

**** OC seems to be holding up very well on the wheels of my 2 cars. It's really working well there. I may give it a go again next winter for the paint using only Optimum products to prep.

arack
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
It is still new, so people mistakenly bash the product and think that it does not work.

OptiCoat is awesome. If you like spending too much money for wax, then OptiCoat is not for you.

I learned a long time ago that less is more. If you are constantly waxing your car, you may be wasting time, money, and product.

This is not a popular opinion on this site, but most waxes are the same. Sealants are better, but they do not last as long as OptiCoat.

BrutalNoodle
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
swanicyouth answered the question for me, especially #4.

I actually have a bottle sitting around. My plan is to just coat the wheels and leave it at that.

Andr3wilson
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Do you seriously keep your waxes refrigerated?

Yup! It's in a wine cooler so I control the humidity and temp. Plus I don't want them all lying out in my shop where people can see them...

BobbyG
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Personally, I like to detail, experiment, play with detailing products and tools. If I seal my cars and trucks up with Opti-Coat then by default I can be charged with Product Abuse...and this is an arrestable offense.......in my mind anyway...:laughing:

Seriously though, I will use Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 on my wife's new car this spring.....:props:

Bill220
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
All interesting replies.

I just finished up my car and it looks great but I started thinking that it could stay that way much longer if I'd have used Opti Coat. The paint on my car is really soft and that extra layer of protection would be nice to have.

Maybe after I've exhausted my supply of Blacklight and Lava, I'll give Opti Coat a try.

I'd imagine that one could use something like V7 on top of it after washes, correct?

HellaBroke
02-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes or another I read a lot of people topping oc with is reload.

Lim3
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
OC is amazing but it takes away the fun of using different waxes. Seeing the differences in each one.

pcw25
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I think the product is finicky to use. Other than that, the product's great!

silverfox
02-08-2013, 04:19 PM
I've used both. Trust me Blacklight looks a whole lot better than OC does.

OC is best for those who really aren't into constantly maintaining their cars.

Also most people that use OC still mess around with topping it with this or that which makes no sense whatsoever and is a waste of money and time.

If you really want yo use it just have the mindset that all you do thereafter is wash the car otherwise you are throwing your money away.