PDA

View Full Version : Must leather be absolutely clean before applying conditioner/protector?

Mustapha
02-08-2013, 04:08 AM
I first wiped everything down with a damp terry towel. That removed a lot of dirt. Next, I used Leather Masters Strong Cleaner to go over my leather twice. The white MF applicator was filthy brown/gray after the first swipe. The 2nd applicator turned lighter gray.

I thought it was clean enough so I used a 3rd MF applicator for LM Vital. This pad became light gray as well. Should I proceed to LM Protection Cream (final step) or redo everything again (with stronger OPC) because it seems the leather isn't 100% clean yet?

This for black Mercedes Nappa leather btw.

psnt1ol
02-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Did you agitate the seats with a leather scrub brush? I get better results when I work the product in.

Mustapha
02-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Did you agitate the seats with a leather scrub brush? I get better results when I work the product in.

I did. It really helped get grime out because the seats are perforated.

Pureshine
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I use Sonax leather cleaner/conditioner is seats aren't really dirty. I they are I use Leather Masters products with the 4 inch DA and the scrub brush attachment works great.
Todd

swanicyouth
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
I would do it over again. It may be hard to tell, but are you sure the seat's dye isn't coming off on the applicator? Were these seats really dirty to begin with? I use LM's Soft Cleaner and never get any color on the towel.

I apply the product and work it in well with a horse hair paint brush. Then, I remove it using a towel and a sprayer with distilled water. When I'm done I go over the whole thing with distilled water.

You may want to test a part of the seat that doesn't get dirty like the underneath to make sure your not removing colorant. If course, if your seats are red or blue and your towel is turning grey, your OK.

Andr3wilson
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. My C63 has the same leather.

For this reason, as a cleaner I use Conolly leather cleaner and SV museum elephant fat or leather milk.

Black seats turn grey/white with dirt. For really soft nappa leather you need to use a horse hair interior brush. Tampico brushes are too stuff and you run the risk of marring the leather.

The great aspect of Conolly is that it is made by the people who make these high end leathers. You mix it up with hot water and "wash" the seats. Typically you don't need much agitation, but the horse hair brush helps a lot. This really cleans up well.

Now when applying the creams. I love SV leather milk, works beautifully on nappa leather - you see dry spots disappear in seconds. The Conolly cream works really well too and is very good value.

You may get a few traces of grey matter on the applicator pads, but it's not something to worry about too much, either deep dirt or dye, mostly due tbh. If the seats have returned to their dark black spec all over, they have been cleaned and cared for really well.