PDA

View Full Version : The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

WRAPT C5Z06
02-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Mark: If I were in your shoes I'd re-contact Francesco and cite this thread with a link to it and let him know that you shared this thinking it would be okay but now you would like to verify it. Let him know no harm was intended.

This is one of those situations where it's hard to put the Genie back into the bottle because so many people have already read your post. I appreciate your offer and idea but again, if it were me I would simply re-contact Francesco and check with him.

Here's a recommendation for everyone reading this thread; anytime you contact a representative from a company and ask for information, if your intent is to share the information publicly then be upfront at the very beginning and let them know this.

:)
Will do, thanks! :)

axel06
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
mike plz show the swirls and then make um go away...

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
mike plz show the swirls and then make um go away...

Swirls with polishers are coming up... but first is how to remove orange peel using the Rupes Orbital Air Sander. I have this car coming up for an advanced class where everyone that attends will get to do the final sand and buff.

This is the first cut and now it goes back into the paint booth for more clear...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1737/How_To_Remove_Orange_Peel_008.jpg

There's a time for everything...

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Wetsanding Project at Autogeek (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/60401-1970-oldsmobile-cutlass-wetsanding-project-autogeek.html)

fenderpicks
02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Hey Mike what kind of compressor are u running with the Rupes ?

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM

I'll ask Paul as I'm not sure. I know he does have numerous air compressors throughout this shop and I always had a constant flow of air pressure.

fenderpicks
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh i see.... Im debating on if i should get the LHR75, im unsure if my compressor could handle it, just thought i'd ask hahah

FUNX650
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM

I'll ask Paul as I'm not sure. I know he does have numerous air compressors throughout this shop and I always had a constant flow of air pressure.

Oh i see.... Im debating on if i should get the LHR75, im unsure if my compressor could handle it, just thought i'd ask hahah

Subscribed...
(Just to find out another/another's: "Compressor point of view")

:D

Bob

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM

You definitely want full PSIG with the Rupes LHR75 3 Inch Pneumatic Random Orbital Polisher for maximum efficiency with the tool.

the below is taken from my article on dampsanding...

Air Pressure or PSI
Before using an air powered DA Sander check to see what the tool manufacture recommends for Maximum PSI or PSIG.

PSI = Pounds per square inch
PSIG - Pounds per square inch at the gauge

I think the main difference between PSI and PSIG is that PSI is not specific to the point of connection for the tool and could mean compressed air pressure at the tank and not the actual gauge and thus the air line feeding your tool. That means there can be differences in PSI by the time it gets to your tool depending upon the shop you work in and how many lines are being fed by the air tank/compressor. The important point is to make sure you don't starve your air tool for compressed air and you don't over feed the tool with too much air pressure.

The air regulator for use in our shop is usually set to around 110 PSI so when I want to use the air compressor I have to decrease the pressure coming out of the line by adjusting the regulator down to 90 PSI

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/834/DampSanding35.jpg

The LHR75 states right on it not to exceed 90 PSIG and requires 320 CFM to operate.

In other words, you want a pretty good size air compressor to run this tool efficiently without robbing it of air or running your air compressor full-on all the time.

Keep in mind, this tool was originally designed for and marketed towards body shops and body shops as a normal setup have large air compressors and reservoir tanks as they use a lot of air tool.

FUNX650
02-11-2013, 01:40 PM
The LHR75 states right on it not to exceed 90 PSIG and requires 320 CFM to operate.

Sorry to bother you Mike...But:

I thought the lhr75's CFM was 320 l/min.

Bob

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry to bother you Mike...But:

I thought the lhr75's CFM was 320 l/min.

Bob

Sorry boss, my mistake, so use to typing and thinking in cubic feet per minute, not liters per minute.

Thanks for staying on top of the details...

:xyxthumbs:

KneeDragr
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Wow, so you dont have to push down until the rotation slows huh? Thats going to be a lot easier on my wrists.

KneeDragr
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
How to decide between the 15 and 21?

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Wow, so you dont have to push down until the rotation slows huh? Thats going to be a lot easier on my wrists.

That is the key difference when using the Rupes system as designed by Rupes. I want to point out that the Rupes blue foam cutting pad is very aggressive looking and feeling with a very large cell opening. (I have pictures somewhere)

Marco told me they invested a lot of time and research into matching the correct compound, to foam formula to the orbit stroke of the tool to get effective correction ability, that is the ability to abrade or remove particles of paint off the surface, (if you want to break it down), without firm downward pressure or in the case of other tools, without 15 to 20 pounds or even greater downward pressure.

I know it's only natural for everyone to want to try all the various pads and products with this tool so I'm just stating what the manufacture states in my position on this forum as a representative of the manufacturer.

Mike Phillips
02-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I did a conversion of liters per minute to cubic feet per minute and this equals approximately 11 cubic feet per minute.

I'll let Bob chime in with more details on what this all means from a practical point of view...

FUNX650
02-11-2013, 02:58 PM
I did a conversion of liters per minute to cubic feet per minute and this equals approximately 11 cubic feet per minute.

I'll let Bob chime in with more details on what this all means from a practical point of view...

Thanks Mike...

As to CFM's:
I'll just add it's a good rule of thumb to "size" a compressor for
1.5X the CFM's of the air-tool that has the largest demand.

For only the lhr75 usage...~ 15-17 CFM's.

Bob