PDA

View Full Version : The RUPES LHR21ES Random Orbit Polisher and Polishing System by Mike Phillips

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

TroyScherer
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Rupes > 3401

I've tried both.

Mark,

When you get tired of your Rupes, I'll buy it... :buffing:

Mike Phillips
02-08-2013, 10:05 AM
I knew you would like it! Any word on how well the chemicals work?

Hi Mike,

You were dead on correct. I had actually used it a number of time before we spoke I just could say anything to anyone.

As for the chemicals?

Because my passion is for polishing paint I’m very focused on the performance side of compounds and polishes. Here’s what I wrote in post #7 of this thread...

I've already tested the entire system on my demo panels with Gionata the Business Development Director here at Autogeek. One thing I like about the paint system on my demo panels is they show anything and everything.

If a "system" works... I'll know it really fast.

If a system doesn't work... I'll know it really fast.

So to answer your question about the compounds and polishes... they work great.

Are the polishes DAT or SMAT?

Doesn’t matter, at least it doesn’t mater to me. Neither Marco or Gionata told me and I didn’t ask.

Why?

Because no matter if it’s SMAT or DAT or SMAT/DAT when I use it I’m going to use good technique and I’m going to start like I always do on any car I’ve never worked on before and that’s is I’m going to do a Test Spot.

The results from my test spot will tell me if the products are working or not and if they are then I’ll simply duplicate the process I used for my test spot to the rest of the car. If I don’t like the results from my test spot then I’ll likely do some more testing and troubleshooting till I dial in a system approach that works and then get busy working on the car.

Whether I “know” or don’t know” if the abrasive technology is SMAT or DAT won’t affect what I do with my polisher. The only time “knowing” could be of help is if you plan on only making a few passes with DAT products but why would anyone do this in the first place?

I cannot think for the life of me a time when I only made a few section passes using a DAT product and then stopped buffing. It just doesn’t make sense for someone with experience. Now for someone without experience, they’re going to make mistakes whether they know or don’t know because “we” all make mistakes when we’re first starting out. That’s the benefit to a forum like this; if a newbie makes a mistake or is have trouble getting the results they’re looking for they can start a thread asking for help and our forum members will gladly chime in and help see them through to success.

Make sense?

But yeah I know… everyone wants to know…

What’s in the bottle?

:D

Dang a RR as a test case, nice ride. I need to hook up with you Mike I like the way you roll!

The Rolls-Royce is the result of a referral from my friend and Pro Detailer Pablo Sinistri

Thank you Pablo…

No washer mod ???

No sir.

Rupes, Autogeek and I don’t recommend it. I spoke with both Marco and Gionata about this issue at length and they explained exactly why they designed the tool they way they did and that there is no need to modify the tool.

I trust Marco on this, he is the R&D Manager for Rupes so I think it’s safe to assume he knows his job and his tool design.

Also after talking to both of these gentlemen at length I could tell they really know the mechanics of abrading and polishing paint and invested a lot of time and engineering into the tool design and the very specific pads, compounds and polishes for use with their tool.

I don’t plan on modifying either of the polishers given to me by Marco and Gionata. In fact I treasure them as I consider it an honor to have been given them by these two gentlemen.

What backing plates are available for the Rupes?

Rupes recommends using the correct and matching backing plate engineered to be used with the matching and correct tool.

For the Rupes LHR 15ES you want to use the,

Rupes LHR 15EX 5” Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-15es-backing-plate.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_LHR_15ES_5inch_backing_plate.jpg

For the Rupes LHR 21ES you want to use the,

Rupes LHR 21ES 6” backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-backing-plate.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_LHR_21ES_6_Inch_Backing_Plate.jpg

Awesome write up Mike!!

Kind regards
Paul Dalton
Miracle Detail

Hi Paul and thank you.

Just to note, I apologize for the delay but I just now sent out a signed copy of my first edition how-to book. It’s been crazy busy here at Autogeek for the last month and I’ve never been so far behind in my normal job duties. After I post this I’m going to post a few pictures and then I have to go clean the studio because it’s still a mess from my last detailing bootcamp class and we’re shooting a few new projects next week. But the good news is I’ve signed it and it’s on it’s way.

NIIIIICE machine!
It looks pretty easy to lift, carry and light to work with.
What about the pads, are they different to the LC flat pads?
I would love to try one of those.

So sad that I couldn't try it at the detailing class I attended.

Hi Pablo,

If I could have I would have shown you mind and let you use it but at that time everything was under lock down. Sometime in the future I would like to attend your class in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I’ll make it a working vacation and bring Stacy with me.

Do they come in 220-240volts? If the do, that would be great news for me.

I think they do but at this time Autogeek does not carry that version.

Mike, I hope you enjoy my recommendation on that Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead, my customer is very excited that you are working and using the latest products on his car. :props:

Thank you again so much for trusting me and referring me to one of your customers. I’m often asked for recommendations for detailers and I make it a practice to always recommend professional detailers I know and respect. So I appreciate the same from my peers.

Neg:
Limited power and backing pads
Proprietary pads, polishes

Hi Ralph,

I actually don’t see any negatives with this machine and system at all. In fact, I’ve very impressed with not only the tool but the really well thought-out system.

The fact that they color matched the products to the pads and that the system, that is the too/products/pads works very well, even a person BRAND NEW to machine paint polishing can’t help but to be successful their very first time.

Pos:
Big throw
Strongest pure DA available

Definitly cutting edge technology… pushing the car detailing world forward into the future instead of lagging along or behind…

IMO it seems to be a quality polisher. Being pretty new there are going to be believers and non believers.

In the right hands all of the better known polishers will do what they need too.

Well said and I couldn’t agree more…

Great questions and comments everyone...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Mark,

When you get tired of your Rupes, I'll buy it... :buffing:

Now that's funny...

:laughing:

Pinpoint_Precision
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I've already tested the entire system on my demo panels with Gionata the Business Development Director here at Autogeek. One thing I like about the paint system on my demo panels is they show anything and everything. If a "system" works... I'll know it really fast. If a system doesn't work... I'll know it really fast.

I'm happy to say the system works so well I trust in the above Rolls-Royce

Have to go, it's 5:00pm Thursday and I have cars in the AG Garage to go play with...

:)

Great combo! Can't wait to see the results!

WRAPT C5Z06
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
No sir.

Rupes, Autogeek and I don’t recommend it. I spoke with both Marco and Gionata about this issue at length and they explained exactly why they designed the tool they way they did and that there is no need to modify the tool.
Again, there may be no NEED, but there's nothing negative about it, and it does help! I trust KB.

Rupes recommends using the correct and matching backing plate engineered to be used with the matching and correct tool.

For the Rupes LHR 15ES you want to use the,

Rupes LHR 15EX 5” Backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-15es-backing-plate.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_LHR_15ES_5inch_backing_plate.jpg

For the Rupes LHR 21ES you want to use the,

Rupes LHR 21ES 6” backing Plate (http://www.autogeek.net/rupes-lhr-21es-backing-plate.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1739/Rupes_LHR_21ES_6_Inch_Backing_Plate.jpg

RUPES has clearly stated that using the 5" backing plate with the 21mm will not void the warranty. That's a pretty telling statement if you ask me. Sure, it makes sense for them not to recommend it, but it will work just fine. Again, I trust KB.

g26er
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Rupes > 3401

I've tried both.

I have the same *opinion*. In fact I no longer have my 3401. The LHR15 is such a pleasure to use and I don't feel worn out after polishing out a car.

Regarding the washer mod. I find the washer mod most beneficial when using MF pads, but when using the RUPES pads I don't find a noticeable difference. With that said, I just leave the washer there. :)

I use the RUPES white, yellow and green pads and if I need more I'll use MF pads. I don't use the blue RUPES pad 'cause if you seen and/or felt one. It's like a bug scrubber and the pores are HUGE. I feel like all the polish goes into the pores and is not efficiently making use of the polish.

I'll use Diamond and Keramik on the white and yellow pads interchangeably. Zephyr and Quarz on the Green. If I have to go to MF pads I'll use 105 or Opt Compound II. Looking forward to try 101 and the Sonax polishes soon.

I'd like to know others thoughts on the blue pad?

Edit: just to add... the only thing I'd change about the RUPES is to make the trigger variable instead of on/off.

RaskyR1
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Neg:
Limited power and backing pads
Proprietary pads, polishes

Pos:
Big throw
Strongest pure DA available

IMO it seems to be a quality polisher. Being pretty new there are going to be believers and non believers. In the right hands all of the better known polishers will do what they need too.

^^^this is funny!

Mike Phillips
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Here's one of the cars that will be at my next class and everyone attending the class will get to use the Rupes polishers on it to de-swirl it and create a true show car finish.

1959 Impala

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1743/1959_Impala_001.jpg

And yes... I have the sun shots showing the swirls...

feslope
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Are the polishes DAT or SMAT?I'm curious about this myself. I asked this question of the RUPES reps at MobilTech. They said that their abrassives technology is proprietary technology. I got the impression they really did not know or understand the question. Anyone here know if they are smat or dat?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm curious about this myself. I asked this question of the RUPES reps at MobilTech. They said that their abrassives technology is proprietary technology. I got the impression they really did not know or understand the question. Anyone here know if they are smat or dat?
Their tech department informed me they're a combination of SMAT and DAT(each polish).

WRAPT C5Z06
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
This is an email I got from Francesco(marketing for Rupes) that contacted their tech department....

"All our compound are made with a mix of different abrasive: the mix of zephir contains more diminishing than the other but, of course, we cant reveal the percentage because this is part of our industrial process"

Mike Phillips
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
This is an email I got from Francesco(marketing for Rupes) that contacted their tech department....

Thanks for inquiring Mark and thanks for sharing. You did let them know as a professional courtesy that you were going to share the information they give you on a public forum?

Just a professional courtesy when doing any type of research like this and then abiding by their wishes and a practice I always use. What I will do is ask up front if the information I'm asking for is approved for the public. If they say "no" they still might share information with you if they trust you will abide by their wishes. If you go against their wishes and they find out you'll likely never get the same treatment from them in the future.

Just some food for thought...

Manufacturers in this industry don't as a normal course of business share all their technology. Any little bit they do share is just a bonus.

"All our compound are made with a mix of different abrasive: the mix of zephir contains more diminishing than the other but, of course, we cant reveal the percentage because this is part of our industrial process"

Sounds good. Now that issue is settled.

:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for inquiring Mark and thanks for sharing. You did let them know as a professional courtesy that you were going to share the information they give you on a public forum?

Just a professional courtesy when doing any type of research like this and then abiding by their wishes and a practice I always use. What I will do is ask up front if the information I'm asking for is approved for the public. If they say "no" they still might share information with you if they trust you will abide by their wishes. If you go against their wishes and they find out you'll likely never get the same treatment from them in the future.

Just some food for thought...

Manufacturers in this industry don't as a normal course of business share all their technology. Any little bit they do share is just a bonus.

Sounds good. Now that issue is settled.

:xyxthumbs:
This is a good point, Mike. I figured since he didn't tell me how much of each abrasive is in each polish, it couldn't be that top secret to share. However, maybe this should be removed until I ask him of it's ok to go public? What do you think, Mike?

BrutalNoodle
02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Limited power is not a negative. The 21E stroke is almost 3 times of a normal DA, including the Flex at 8mm. This results in the pad cutting so much with each orbit that it doesn't require that heavy pressure like a PCXP or need to be force driven like a rotary/Flex. Keep in mind having such a large surface coverage, doesn't always make it ideal for panels with big dips or bulges. I'll still pull out my GG6 to get in those areas. Hear it from one of the best in the industry, Kevin Brown, just Google "Rupes LHR 21ES Random Orbital Polisher - Features & Benefits."

The machine works great with other pads like Megs MF. You don't have to use only Rupes pads to get the best results. I also use my 21E with the 15E 5" backing plate. I have not used the Rupes polishes yet. Haven't really needed to try them out yet when I'm getting 1 step corrections done with Megs MF Finishing + M205 or bumping it up to M100/M105 for more cut.

Thank you very much for a very informative post. This answered many of the questions I have regarding the machine. If there's one concern it's longevity/reliability (common problems), but I guess that comes with time.

Mike Phillips
02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
This is a good point, Mike. I figured since he didn't tell me how much of each abrasive is in each polish, it couldn't be that top secret to share.

However, maybe this should be removed until I ask him of it's ok to go public?

What do you think, Mike?

Mark: If I were in your shoes I'd re-contact Francesco and cite this thread with a link to it and let him know that you shared this thinking it would be okay but now you would like to verify it. Let him know no harm was intended.

This is one of those situations where it's hard to put the Genie back into the bottle because so many people have already read your post. I appreciate your offer and idea but again, if it were me I would simply re-contact Francesco and check with him.

Here's a recommendation for everyone reading this thread; anytime you contact a representative from a company and ask for information, if your intent is to share the information publicly then be upfront at the very beginning and let them know this.