PDA

View Full Version : I suck at washing

Pages : [1] 2

LazyGhost
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
And i mean i really suck. Takes me forever and then it looks like i just wiped the dirt around and i have water spots everywhere. Think ive come up with a solution i aim to try. Gonna have to add more "shade" and a "presoak".

Ive got acres and acres of land. Just no blame shade thats usefull. Gotta Swing by Lowes and put one of them canopees on my card while the wife aint looking. I own a $300+ pressure washer i picked up from HD 8 years or so ago. I aint seen it in at least five. Fatherinlaw borrowed it. Time for me to repossess it and see ifin i can come up with a foam attatchment. I think i remember it coming with one but im sure that piece is long gone.

Anyways, shade and presoak. Thats my newest strategy.:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
You don't suck at washing, trust me!!

Never wash the car in direct sun unless you live in New England and it's mid October.
Mix your washing solution in a clean 5 gallon pail and according to the wash soap instructions...usually 2 ounces to 4 gallons of water.
Wash from the top down
Wash the roof then rinse
Wash the glass then rinse
Wash the nose then rinse
Finish the rest of the car using the same method..

Foam Gun and attach it to your garden hose

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/FoamGun.jpg

For your pressure washer - Home Depot

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/FoamBlaster04_.jpg

dad07
02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
And with Bobby's sound advice I have nothing to add.

wanabe detailer
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I am not salty as the rest of these guys, like Bobby, but for what it is worth I will say this. I am new at this, but I have found ONRWW to be extremely easy and the results are excellent. I live in So. Cal. and we have hard water and lots of sun= major water spots. With ONRWW there is no issues with spotting. I use two bucket system.

swanicyouth
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I think the easiest way to get the best results is to wash the wheels conventionally and do the rest of the car rinseless. That way you work on one panel at a time. Also, you can do a rinseless on a garage.

I hear you if you live somewhere hot & sunny with no shade. I used to get water spots too pretty bad. I take a long time and try and be super careful, and its really hard to keep the whole car wet.

Setec Astronomy
02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I think the easiest way to get the best results is to wash the wheels conventionally and do the rest of the car rinseless. That way you work on one panel at a time. Also, you can do a rinseless in a garage.

That's what I've been doing more and more of.

cgreen1120
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
I know it goes against most thought process but if you have a garage that would be your best bet. Most if not all have a grade that falls straight out the door. I have a 2 car garage that stays completely empty of unnecessary clutter and ready for the next detail. I do however need to put 2 short lines of cat litter at the corners next to the door to insure the water gets funneled out the door properly. Most would think this would create quit the mess but I rarely get the floor wet more than 24 inches beyond the perimeter of the car. One advantage to the wet floor is that I can move around the car with the blow dryer and towels without creating dust. During the cold winter months here in Virginia I simple fire up the space heater and work very comfortable as long as I like. During the summer it does get a little warm but like you, I do not have enough shade to do any work outside. My hope is that you do have a garage and if so give it a try. :buffing:

Craig

jsgntulok
02-06-2013, 10:17 PM
"I do however need to put 2 short lines of cat litter at the corners next to the door to insure the water gets funneled out the door properly. "

I always wash my car in the garage. I put down a bead of clear silicone caulk as needed to channel the water out the door. This usually last one year before I have to redo the caulk line.

cgreen1120
02-07-2013, 06:19 AM
I always wash my car in the garage. I put down a bead of clear silicone caulk as needed to channel the water out the door. This usually last one year before I have to redo the caulk line.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea. I'll try it when the floor warms up a bit.

Craig

cgreen1120
02-07-2013, 06:21 AM
[/QUOTE]I always wash my car in the garage. I put down a bead of clear silicone caulk as needed to channel the water out the door. This usually last one year before I have to redo the caulk line.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea. I'll try it when the floor warms up a bit.

Craig

Vegas Transplant
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
And i mean i really suck. Takes me forever and then it looks like i just wiped the dirt around and i have water spots everywhere. Think ive come up with a solution i aim to try. Gonna have to add more "shade" and a "presoak".

Which vehicles are you washing? SUV, minivan, full sized p/u, SmartCar?

Ive got acres and acres of land. Just no blame shade thats usefull. Gotta Swing by Lowes and put one of them canopees on my card while the wife aint looking. I own a $300+ pressure washer i picked up from HD 8 years or so ago. I aint seen it in at least five. Fatherinlaw borrowed it. Time for me to repossess it and see ifin i can come up with a foam attatchment. I think i remember it coming with one but im sure that piece is long gone.

Anyways, shade and presoak. Thats my newest strategy.:xyxthumbs:

Not anymore you don't :laughing:

Wheelzntoys
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Add some ONR to your soap wash bucket and use a drying aid like Speed Shine or Aquawax.

Bunky
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Add some ONR to your soap wash bucket and use a drying aid like Speed Shine or Aquawax.

I would second that and consider a water softener if you water is very hard. I wash in early mornings or late evenings.

BrutalNoodle
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
That's what I've been doing more and more of.

90% of my washing has been this method for the past 2 yrs. With all these excellent RL/WL products, I seldom do a tradition wash anymore. It's for the best really; convenience, plus I'm beginning to hate coin-op. It's like going to the movies - lots of annoying/selfish people.

LazyGhost
02-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Im washing a full sized truck with crew cab and a regular sized car

Ill order some ONR and try it. My truck is just so big. My new plan is to get some good shade, rinse-wash-rinse wheels, rinse truck, soak (dont know what product), rinse, then ONR the sucker using the methods yall've shared. Aint had my truck all that long and it has water spots embedded thats been there since i got it. Not too bad i reckon. Im hoping that when i try my hand at polishing in a few weeks ill be able to take care of that.

Still learning. Ill look up the gary dean method and do something similar to that. Right now im all over the place and need to be practicing a consistent proven technique like yall are.

Thanks for the help