PDA

View Full Version : GM's Tunnel of Love

BobbyG
02-06-2013, 02:14 PM
This is a great little video of GM's effort to showcase many of the cars, trucks, specialty cars, experimental cars and the like....

Don't worry, it's safe....

GM HERITAGE CENTER: CARS - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?feature=endscreen&=R=1&v=RvVmDsWnMOk)

Ryry11
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
I was there a couple years back, it's
Pretty cool if you're a gm fan!

Fishincricket
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Wow the Astro car, can anyone say "speed racer"?

BillE
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
GREAT FIND Bobby!

Did I miss the original Firebird (the one with the gas turbine)?

Seeing that '409' really takes me back.

Thank you...

Bill

BobbyG
02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
GREAT FIND Bobby!

Did I miss the original Firebird (the one with the gas turbine)?

Seeing that '409' really takes me back.

Thank you...

Bill

There are so many cars that I've never heard of in that collection and the gas turbine Firebird is one of them...

Yea, the 62 with the 409 in it is quite a classic. I remember the first time I saw both the 348 and the 409 I thought; man, those are weird looking heads!! :laughing:

BillE
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
There are so many cars that I've never heard of in that collection and the gas turbine Firebird is one of them...

Yea, the 62 with the 409 in it is quite a classic. I remember the first time I saw both the 348 and the 409 I thought; man, those are weird looking heads!! :laughing:

I think the turbine Firebird was 'shown' in the mid 50's. I remember seeing it at a GM Autorama in Los Angeles. Just imagine one of those 'belly tank' lake racers (open wheels etc.) and instead of a Flathead 8, a gas turbine. Geeze, I coulda googled this to give a better example.

I hear ya about the 348/409 head design. Talk about a 'trade mark' feature. I may be wrong (like I've never been wrong before), but I believe that the '409' was the beginning of the factory experimental class of Detroit drag strip monsters.

Bill