PDA

View Full Version : Should I use two coats of Opticoat 2.0, and how will Meg #7 work after that?

ElWichaco
02-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Just like the title say it. Should I use two coats of Opticoat 2.0, and how will Meg #7 behave after that? Will adding two coats of Opticoat make the product last longer? Be much stronger? Will any waxes enhance the shine. Will Megs #7 show the shines anymore?

FUNX650
02-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Just like the title say it. Should I use two coats of Opticoat 2.0, and how will Meg #7 behave after that? Will adding two coats of Opticoat make the product last longer? Be much stronger? Will any waxes enhance the shine. Will Megs #7 show the shines anymore?

Sounds like you're planning to apply your two coats of OC 2.0 atop a film-layer of Meg's #7...
one of the "oil-iest" products on the market...Is this true?

If so...and FWIW:
It's been said that the paint is supposed to be free from "oils", and such, prior to any OC-Coating.

If the plan is to apply #7 atop the OC 2.0...
It may just help the shine...But it won't be lasting very long.

:)

Bob

BobbyG
02-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Optimum Opti-Coat is a great but the key to it's success is a carefully polished finish and a finish void of oils, waxes, sealant's, silicone etc...

Take a look at Todd Helem's video for applying Optimum Opti-Coat...

Opti-Coat 2.0 Application - YouTube

07gtcs
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
#7 is a PIA....don't bother

RZJZA80
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I didn't know OC can be layered, I always thought it couldn't.

ElWichaco
02-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the response guys. I never ment to apply opti coat on top of the #7. Not that dumb lol. No but all jokes aside. I was wondering if opti coat can be applied in layers. Meaning Coated once or twice. I understand I have to make the paint as close to perfect. Infact, every here and there when I go to the gas station people ask me what kind of wax I use. Lol If they only knew how much work it takes to maintain paint. Wooooooo!!! Any whooooo...... I know I only have so much clearcoat left. I need to make it last a year or two more. Than hopefully I can repaint the car. I got a connection...(My buddy has his own shop), he lets me fool around at the booth. In fact thats where I learned to polish paint.

So lets say I have a perfect finish. I coated with opticoat. Can I apply #7 on top? Will any waxes help with shine? I think Gary Dean said waxes wont stick to the paint anymore. Im cluesless. Anyone that has it, how do you like opti coat?

El Wichaco

ElWichaco
02-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Oooh and thank you for the Video Bobby.

y8s
02-07-2013, 08:37 AM
If I understand correctly, the point of #7 is to replenish the weather-worn, dried out single stage paint by soaking in after sitting for a while.

Opti-Coat will absolutely prevent anything from getting to your paint short of modestly aggressive mechanical devices.

If you want to top the OC with something shiny, I'd go with the easy stuff like optimum's own spray wax.

Meticulous-Detail
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Top with Wet Glaze 2.0.

mackey
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
OC2.0 is layerable so have at it

Blk5.0
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Does it add more protection if you layer OC???

Lim3
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I've wondered the same.
I mean OC is a clear coat ? Well what if I want to protect that from getting an swirls or scratches.