PDA

View Full Version : Glaze Review: PB's Black Hole vrs BF Gloss Enhancing Polish

swanicyouth
02-06-2013, 01:06 AM
So, I was waiting for some stuff to dry in the dryer and started looking at the side of my toolbox. It has swirls and marring like an unpolished daily driver would have. It also happens to be painted Craftsman's finest single stage tool box black.

So, I was wondering how some glazes would do. I decided to put down a tape line and compare Poor Boy's Black Hole Glaze and Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish. Everyone probably knows the PB's product is a glaze. However PB's also says it "cleans" dirt out of swirls.

BF GEP may not seem similar at first, but it also "cleans paint" and acts as a glaze. Per product description:

"BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a non-abrasive polish, and glaze combination."

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/y6anuga6.jpg

First paint was cleaned with a MF towel using Sonus All In 1 APC. this products strips any polymers or waxes that may be on a surface:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/yteby5e8.jpg

Then the area was wiped down with 70% IPA. Both products were applied by hand using different ends of a folded MF towel. Both products were left to dry to a haze, per both directions. Then I removed them with opposite ends of another towel. Both products were then re-applied - a "second coat / layer".

I peeled back the tape and this is what I found:

BF left ... tape line middle.... PB's right

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/guqepysa.jpg

While neither product removed the swirls/scratches/defects 100%, both did a pretty good job hiding them. I took the previous picture with a 1,000 lumen light about a foot away from the surface to try and notice any difference. That's pretty bright - and pretty close. What I noticed is that defects are still somewhat visible close up, but from about 3-4 feet away in normal light they look pretty good (both) and any defect is very hard to notice (both). Each product added a lot of gloss and "shine" to the dull looking paint. Pretty much a tie there. Either of these products would substantially improve the finish of most daily drivers and add lot of gloss/shine.

Here is a pic with just the garage lighting, which is also fairly bright ( 8 x 6500k T12 fluorescents in a 1 car garage):

(BF left * PB right)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/u6enybe6.jpg

Well its hard to pick a clear winner, but I do think the BF GEP looked a hair better and hid the defects a tiny bit better as well, but its very close.

Here is a pic with only the flash:

(BF left * PB right)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/06/emezeva5.jpg

One other thing I can add is about application. While they both were very easy to apply, the PB BH was a bit easier. It's a little thicker and hazes faster. It also has a slight edge on removal, as removing it is literally effortless. BH also smells awesome, like grape. GEP has a faint chemical like smell. PB BH also left a slicker feeling to the surface. Also, if I recall correctly, the PB's product is just a few dollars less. However, the BF product does have the advantage of being a dedicated paint cleaner (removes old LSPs and a glaze). While PBs claims BH "cleans dirt out of swirls" I don't believe its recommended as a dedicated "pre-wax" cleaner (as in to remove your old LSP and leave a glaze in one step).

Well thanks for looking. Maybe I'll try some LSPs over them. Feed back welcome.

vegas911gts
02-06-2013, 05:54 AM
How about adding black light as a 3rd competitor?

BobbyG
02-06-2013, 07:11 AM
A good comparison. I'm not at all surprised that both products perform in a similar fashion especially reading the labels and their design intent. Many times the results are so close it becomes the responsibility of the user to determine which he prefers...:props:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Nice write up :props:

swanicyouth
02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
How about adding black light as a 3rd competitor?

I don't have any... But I do have Wet Glaze 2.0

Nice write up :props:

Thanks. Always have some PB in my arsenal. I love B & B and Trim Restorer.

Bunky
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
While PBs claims BH "cleans dirt out of swirls" I don't believe its recommended as a dedicated "pre-wax" cleaner (as in to remove your old LSP and leave a glaze in one step).

I interpret that it is paint cleaner to some degree. Maybe Pockets could clarify this. I have used it assuming it was.

Johny B
02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Nice review.

Flatlander
02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the write-up! I love the BF GEP!

swanicyouth
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
I interpret that it is paint cleaner to some degree. Maybe Pockets could clarify this. I have used it assuming it was.

I would like to know as well. In order to classify it as a pre wax cleaner, to me, it should remove the old non-coating LSP, remove some "dirt" from the paint, and leave the surface wax ready. BH is a great product and leaves a really slick surface that is glossy. It hazes almost instantly, allowing you to work fast.

I plan on doing another test on a larger panel comparing BF GEP and Wolfgang PPE. Im curious just how similar these are, and if one leaves a nicer surface. I don't recall PPE being said to have a "glaze" in it, but I may be wrong. NaviWax is said to hide defects, so I think I'll compare that as well.

The toolbox works well for testing because its black, has flat panels, and has defects. I'm also thinking about picking up a black trunk from the junkyard to compare some more products. I'll see what I can find on Friday.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

The cleaning abilities of Black Hole to remove LSP are limited at best. It will however do some slight cleaning with just the solvents used in the product for manufacturing. It is by no means a pre wax cleaner and that's why we don't advertise that as the use :xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
The cleaning abilities of Black Hole to remove LSP are limited at best. It will however do some slight cleaning with just the solvents used in the product for manufacturing. It is by no means a pre wax cleaner and that's why we don't advertise that as the use :xyxthumbs:

Thanks. This clears it up. I guess Pure Polish (I think its called that) is your PWC?

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks. This clears it up. I guess Pure Polish (I think its called that) is your PWC?

The Professional Polish is an excellent pre wax cleaner as well as many other things it is non abrasive (great for chrome, plating's, final polish) it is also pad dependent and will remove just about anything you throw at it with the right pad.

PWC would be our Polish w/ Carnauba and that is a cleaner wax on steroids as it will do minor correction. Also more of a pleasure to work with than your typical "cleaner wax"

-Chris

swanicyouth
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
The Professional Polish is an excellent pre wax cleaner as well as many other things it is non abrasive (great for chrome, plating's, final polish) it is also pad dependent and will remove just about anything you throw at it with the right pad.

PWC would be our Polish w/ Carnauba and that is a cleaner wax on steroids as it will do minor correction. Also more of a pleasure to work with than your typical "cleaner wax"

-Chris

Thanks, I'm going to try to get ahold of a trunk from the junkyard tomorrow to do some testing / comparison. Thanks to winning your raffle at Detail Fest last year, I have a lot of PB products to test.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/08/dezu5uda.jpg