PDA

View Full Version : Canadian start up ...... HELP!!!!!!!

detz86
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Looking to start detailing on a more full time basis as opposed to just mine and and the parents . Looking for insurance needed to work out of someone else's home, should I incorporate or llc ? Regulations regarding chemicals in residential areas and all that.... I don't want to go pay for legal council just yet but know I will once I go inc or llc .... Also permits and licenses needed .... So many questions I know but I just need help

Pj C. senior detailer at Subaru of Moncton.

rustytruck
02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Order Renny Doyle's book before you waste any more time or money.

Andr3wilson
02-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I am in Edmonton and I run mine out of my house.

As far as a company registration go for Incorporation. LLC is a US business structure that does not exist in Canada.

In Canada you have three setups to go for with your company:
1. Sole Proprietorship
2. Partnership
3. Corporation

Incorporations are the most commonly chosen because they are the same as a LLC; being that liability falls on company assets not person assets.

Registering a corporation is quite easy. It will most likely be done at your local registry and cost about $600.

As insurance, it is best to shop around for a good price. Typically you do not need a huge expensive policy if you are doing it in your house, considering you will be smaller volume. You won't get sued for making a CC too thin or making it worse. You will be sued if a wheel wasn't torqued correctly and falls of while the customer is driving.

Now for you residential area, it is hard to say. Look at the land zoning for traffic volumes and what not. For chemicals and stuff, there is usually no limits because detailing cars really does not involve high VOC or dangerous chemicals. Again look at the zoning for what can and cannot be poured down the drain to be safe.

As far as permits and licences you have to do some research for what is required for your township. AB has all sorts of rules for licences and what not, they are very easy to get though.

If you have experience professionally detailing, you will know what works for you and what doesn't.

If I were you, I would get some local business counselling to answer your questions.