PDA

View Full Version : Question on machine waxing

CAD
02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
I am new to macine waxing/polishing. I am using a PC 7424, XMT Carnuba finishing glaze, and a gray CCS pad. I start out fine with the amount of product and the results. I keep adding product for every time I start a new area. Then it seems when I get to the side panels extra wax starts coming off the pad. I don't get why it seems to happen only on the side panels. But anyway it build up really heavy in areas and doesn't wipe off real good. Does anyone have this issue or know why it happens? And how do I correct it? Thanks in advance.

CM8 6MT
02-05-2013, 08:18 PM
You might not be maintaining enough contact/pressure on the side panels forcing your pad to rotate faster than normal. Your talking about product slinging right?

Crazy Amos
02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
How much are you adding to the pad each time?

a g thang
02-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Add less product a little goes a long way!!!! You wanna get a very thin layer on..
Also pay attention to the pad make sure ur not putting tpuch or to little pressure also try lowering the speed a bit

CAD
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
No the product isn't slinging just leaving a lot of wax in areas. I add a circle bead halfway around the outside of the pad.

spiralout462
02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
In addition to what the others have said, the CCS pads allow product to be "stored" in the pockets to be released when you lighten you pressure........like on vertical panels. Just a guess of course. Most every problem I've ever had with a machine is due to my use of too much product.

CM8 6MT
02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
No the product isn't slinging just leaving a lot of wax in areas. I add a circle bead halfway around the outside of the pad.

Hmm thats odd, I use gray css pads exlusively for wax/sealants. What speed are you applying it at? I recommend speed 3, moving about 2-3 inches a second. You should see a nice bead of wax/sealant laid out.

Crazy Amos
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Are you adding pressure to the pad while applying? When waxing you dont need pressure, only slower arm speed.

CAD
02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Well, I think I will try slowing the speed down and my arm speed too. Plus not so much product. I think also part of it is keeping the contact/pressure on the panel constant. I'll try these suggestions. Thanks alot.

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I actually don't prime my pad when using a machine to wax. I use three dots to begin, and continue using three dots when I need to. You may be adding way more product than necessary.

To check, just take your pad, and push it against a window. Do you see wax residue? If you do, don't re-apply product. In my opinion, most people use way more than necessary.

CM8 6MT
02-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I actually don't prime my pad when using a machine to wax. I use three dots to begin, and continue using three dots when I need to. You may be adding way more product than necessary.

To check, just take your pad, and push it against a window. Do you see wax residue? If you do, don't re-apply product. In my opinion, most people use way more than necessary.

I agree. Pad priming when using an lsp is a waste of product IMO. The reason behind priming a pad when using a compound/polish is for lubrication & also for product efficiency. You want the polish to start working for you as soon as you turn on the machine. When applying lsp, your trying to spread the product out & as thin as possible.

This is true with sealants, you can push down on the pad to expel product that has been absorbed by the CSS pads. Not so much with paste waxes.

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree. Pad priming when using an lsp is a waste of product IMO. The reason behind priming a pad when using a compound/polish is for lubrication & also for product efficiency. You want the polish to start working for you as soon as you turn on the machine. When applying lsp, your trying to spread the product out & as thin as possible.

This is true with sealants, you can push down on the pad to expel product that has been absorbed by the CSS pads. Not so much with paste waxes.

yeah, that's true. But then again I don't use a machine for my paste waxes. When the ones I have are so easy to use, I don't mind applying by hand :)

cardaddy
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Ooops, I'm a little late to this party but thought I'd ask what may have been overlooked. To the OP, are you cleaning the pad along the way? I mean if you are adding wax with every panel, sounds like the pad is getting over saturated. A good brush or spur to clean then stuff it in your handy dandy terry-COTTON towel will do miracles. :)