PDA

View Full Version : Removing painted pinstripe (new vehicle)

Marc Hufnagel
02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Was looking at a new truck today and every one of them had a dealer-applied painted pinstripe. Two lines actually. I personally hated it; can these be removed without any evidence or is that just the way it is (on for good) ?

Pureshine
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Is it paint or vinyl? If its vinyl you can just take it off with a heat gun.

rmagnus
02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
The easy way; since it's new tell em you'll take one WITHOUT the pinstripes. Might as well tell them on the new truck not to prep it that way you can detail it correctly.

Since the title says PAINTED stripes it may just be an enamel which is easier to remove than a catalyzed paint. Is it cleared over as well? Whats is the base color? Solid is preferred vs a flake and white might be the best.

The hard way; since it should be relatively fresh paint break out the sand paper and get to it by hand. Yes you are going to take off some of the surrounding clear coat but take your time it can be done. You can parallel mask the stripe for the begining of the sanding procedure providing maximum CCC protection.

I say take the easy way!

Marc Hufnagel
02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
The easy way; since it's new tell em you'll take one WITHOUT the pinstripes. Might as well tell them on the new truck not to prep it that way you can detail it correctly.

Since the title says PAINTED stripes it may just be an enamel which is easier to remove than a catalyzed paint. Is it cleared over as well? Whats is the base color? Solid is preferred vs a flake and white might be the best.

The hard way; since it should be relatively fresh paint break out the sand paper and get to it by hand. Yes you are going to take off some of the surrounding clear coat but take your time it can be done. You can parallel mask the stripe for the begining of the sanding procedure providing maximum CCC protection.

I say take the easy way!

It's painted and not cleared, it's oxford white and black stripe. Not sure about what kind of paint.

They have no others unfortunately.

BillyJack
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I've removed quite a few. Wipe it down with a soft rag and some lacquer thinner.

Bill

Jaretr1
02-05-2013, 06:58 PM
That reminds me back a while ago when I worked at a Chevy dealer, they had a guy who basically had carte blanche to apply vinyl pinstripes to any of their new or used vehicle inventory. They trusted his taste and judgement, liked his work, and what he billed them they agreed to. So he would litterally come and check cars that had just arrived and stripe em up. He did a pretty good job.

BYERS DETAIL SHOP
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
+1 lacquer thinner

Marc Hufnagel
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Lacquer thinner won't damage the clearcoat?

Pureshine
02-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Lacquer thinner won't damage the clearcoat?
You can mix water with it to thin it down so its not as strong.