PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Questions

BTLew81
02-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Looking ahead to spring, my plan is to finally coat my VW. Now, it seems like the clear is relatively hard. I would really like to go with OPT polishes to make prep easier. My question is this...on VW paint, with OP/hyper polish even really touch anything, or should I just go to hyper compound?
Any real reason to use their finish polish on a white car, or no?
Lastly, if I go with hyper compound, is it worth it to get their MF cutting pads, or can I use the meg's mf cutting pads I already have?
Thanks.

mwoolfso
02-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I am unsure how well Optimum's compounds and polishes work with ceramiclear paints. I also do not recall this conversation every occurring in the past 18 mos. I have been a member in this forum.

From what I know about their polishes/compounds are a mixture of diminishing and non-diminishing abrasives. My gut says you have a shot with Optimum; certainly worth a phone call to them for a direct answer. Maybe you can get a sample or two out of them. ;-)

I would be extremely careful with a combination of compound and MF pads on ceramiclear. If that combo does provide correction abilities you run the risk of removing too much clearcoat in short order. If you have not read this article yet, you should read it and you will understand.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

Regards and best of luck.

Vegas Transplant
02-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Not anymore. Check the date of the post by hovering/clicking on the red and white square in the quote.

Great threadstarter Bill :props:

New versions are SMAT technology and are completely new formulations...the old work well, but are obsolete compared to the new.

Use the right product for the issue at hand: Test Spot first.

I've never used Meg's MF pads.

If you can't get the results you want with OHP and MF, there is alway the option of using OCII.

And as mwoolfso stated, give 'em a call...Dr.G. may just answer the phone.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
You can use either MF pad. Start with the least aggressive and move to more aggressive if need be. I wouldn't bother with a finishing polish on a white car if you can't see any marring.

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Anyone who see my posts in anything polish or compound related knows that I LOVE optimum hyper compound and spray... but unfortunately, even on Optimum's MF pad, it does nothing on my hard clear.

To get anything resembling correction on my hard clear, I have to be using M105 and MF pad or more aggressive.

I wish Optimum would come out with a balls to the walls diamonds in a bottle spray compound that has similar cut to M101. I would buy that stuff in an instant.

Vegas Transplant
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I can dig it Ro.
But you can add a few drops of OCII to a OHC primed OMF pad for more cut.

I may be wrong, but initially OHC was formulated to be used with the rotary utilizing wool or foam. MF pads came out a few years later.

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
I can dig it Ro.
But you can add a few drops of OCII to a OHC primed OMF pad for more cut.

I may be wrong, but initially OHC was formulated to be used with the rotary utilizing wool or foam. MF pads came out a few years later.

cool, never knew that!

I know that often people decide to mix up polishes (d300 and m105), but it would be nice if there was something that the manufacturer made to be like that from the factory :xyxthumbs:

If OHC was made a while ago, who knows, maybe Optimum will surprise us with a new awesome compound/polish!

Socalautodetail
02-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I recently worked on a 2012 Audi rs4 with ceramiclear. I tried everything under the sun using my flex 3401. I can tell you that ohc didn't make a dent at all even with a purple wool foamed pad. I was able to get some correction using 105 but still was way too much work. I'm going to try manzerna next.

As for a microfiber pad if you have megs pads they are fine to use with ohc. Also used ohc today on a soft Lexus is 250 and it was the easiest compound I've used to date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
...maybe Optimum will surprise us with a new awesome compound/polish!

I'm gonna stick with the Doc's products for now and play around with the DG line.

Between foam, wool, and MF - OPT gets it done.

dad07
02-05-2013, 11:20 PM
with ceramiclear.......look to Menz.

I'm gonna stick with the Doc's products for now and play around with the DG line.

Between foam, wool, and MF - OPT gets it done.

:iagree: Opt. can get it done.

Looking at DG? What ya looking to try? I'll send ya some to play with Buddy!

Vegas Transplant
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
:dblthumb2: Thanks Tim, will send PM this wknd.
Need your advice on products/defects, tips and tricks.

I recently worked on a 2012 Audi rs4 with ceramiclear. I tried everything under the sun using my flex 3401. I can tell you that ohc didn't make a dent at all even with a purple wool foamed pad. I was able to get some correction using 105 but still was way too much work. I'm going to try manzerna next.

As for a microfiber pad if you have megs pads they are fine to use with ohc. Also used ohc today on a soft Lexus is 250 and it was the easiest compound I've used to date.

Looking forward to your results.

camaro2ssblack
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Anyone who see my posts in anything polish or compound related knows that I LOVE optimum hyper compound and spray... but unfortunately, even on Optimum's MF pad, it does nothing on my hard clear.

To get anything resembling correction on my hard clear, I have to be using M105 and MF pad or more aggressive.

I wish Optimum would come out with a balls to the walls diamonds in a bottle spray compound that has similar cut to M101. I would buy that stuff in an instant.

Are you saying you cant get correction on your Camaro with OHC? That would surprise me as I have not found the clear to be that hard. The OHC on the MF pad was more than enough cut for me using the PC on speed 4.5