PDA

View Full Version : My first correction!

TinkWMobile
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I have been detailing my cars for a long time, but never had the confidence to do the paint abrasion step, until I read Mike's book I received for Christmas.
First the car background. I purchased a Black 2008 Miata from the dealer in 2009. When I first looked at the car I saw that the paint needed some work (from sitting on the lot). The price was way too good to pass up.
I worked on the paint for a while, finally realizing I needed to do more. What I had done had improved the paint surface, but swirls and what I now know as Type II waterspots remained.
Couple of weeks ago I got some MeGuiars 205 and 105 plus several cutting pads to add to my aresenal. Never had any cutting pads, I did not really know how they worked previously.
I spent several days doing just the flat surfaces (hood and top of fenders and trunk and top of fenders).
The outcome is great. Prior to the work swirl marks were fairly visible and water spots were easily seen.

After the work, swirl marks are gone! Waterspots are still visible, but much more difficult to see. Have to be less than 3 feet with just the right angle.
I am very happy with the results.

Unfortunately I did not try to get before and after pics.

Big Thanks to Mike and the contributors on this forum to helping me increase my confidence and knowledge.

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 02:00 PM
awesome glad it worked out!

It seems that you aren't being overly anal about wanting perfection, so I think a glaze is exactly the right product for you. It will make those waterspots even harder to see! Apply before your LSP (last step product).