PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to completely strip your paint prior to LSP application?

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Griot's just released a "new and improved" version of their Paint Prep. It worked GREAT!!

Qusai
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Damn!!! Lol remember that thread you made i believe it was you talking about the paint prep. That's why i bought it in the first place! What's different about this one

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Damn!!! Lol remember that thread you made i believe it was you talking about the paint prep. That's why i bought it in the first place! What's different about this one
They claim it's stronger/more effective, but this prior version worked great, too! :dblthumb2:

dpk20x
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Mark I actually tried out a bottle of the old formula after reading a thread where you spoke highly of it.

Stuff does a great job of stripping all previously applied LSP.

The only thing I didn't like was I used almost the entire bottle on a mid sized SUV. Does this sound about right or was I using too much product?

Detail_Dude
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
I use CG Citrus Wash and Clear.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Mark I actually tried out a bottle of the old formula after reading a thread where you spoke highly of it.

Stuff does a great job of stripping all previously applied LSP.

The only thing I didn't like was I used almost the entire bottle on a mid sized SUV. Does this sound about right or was I using too much product?
:dblthumb2:

Did you use Griot's Finest Sprayer?

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Mark, do you prefer using a stripping shampoo or an actual product designed for the sole purpose like Griot's or I think it's called Eraser?

I use Chem Guys Citrus Wash N Gloss at a high dilution (1 oz to 1 gallon). To me, it is very cheap and effective. At the same time, dawn would work too, but I guess I would rather use a car shampoo than a hand soap if I can avoid it.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Mark, do you prefer using a stripping shampoo or an actual product designed for the sole purpose like Griot's or I think it's called Eraser?

I use Chem Guys Citrus Wash N Gloss at a high dilution (1 oz to 1 gallon). To me, it is very cheap and effective. At the same time, dawn would work too, but I guess I would rather use a car shampoo than a hand soap if I can avoid it.
I prefer to use a product that's specifically made to strip. Lots of people will use APC's and other stuff that's more cost effective. I've used CG citrus wash red to strip, but I think it's way overrated. It's great to tackle dirty cars, but not for striping, IMO. I use eraser mainly for inspecting, but not for stripping. Paint prep is perfect because you spray it on, agitate, and rinse!

ihaveacamaro
02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
I prefer to use a product that's specifically made to strip. Lots of people will use APC's and other stuff that's more cost effective. I've used CG citrus wash red to strip, but I think it's way overrated. It's great to tackle dirty cars, but not for striping, IMO. I use eraser mainly for inspecting, but not for stripping. Paint prep is perfect because you spray it on, agitate, and rinse!

Thanks for the info :) :props:

BobbyG
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey Mark,

Because of your post, I bought the original version of Griot's Paint Prep on BOGO. I think it does a dandy job at removing everything and I have plenty left. :props:

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Hey Mark,

Because of your post, I bought the original version of Griot's Paint Prep on BOGO. I think it does a dandy job at removing everything and I have plenty left. :props:
Awesome, Bobby. There's other products(APC's) that can do the job, but I like how paint prep is specifically designed for stripping and it works!

cleanmycorolla
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I wonder whats the best way to incorporate Griots Paint Prep if you could only do rinseless washes......perhaps put some in the bucket with ONR maybe, I've done that with some APC's. Maybe it would work the same.....either way love Griots Paint Prep

snowking724
02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
I wonder whats the best way to incorporate Griots Paint Prep if you could only do rinseless washes......perhaps put some in the bucket with ONR maybe, I've done that with some APC's. Maybe it would work the same.....either way love Griots Paint Prep

For me I wouldn't. Did mixing the APC with ONR affect it's lubricity(?) or how easily it dries at all?

cleanmycorolla
02-05-2013, 04:06 PM
For me I wouldn't. Did mixing the APC with ONR affect it's lubricity(?) or how easily it dries at all?

It's wasn't much APC, and I did presoak with ONR as well. I didnt notice any loss in lubricity compared to times i've done it without APC in it. It was no different than other ONR session I've done just with APC added sometimes to strip a section or at least degrade the previous lsp some!

:xyxthumbs:

Speed-Dude
02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
How much of the Paint Prep are you guys using for say a mid-sized sedan?