PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning & Protecting Cloth Seats

WRXINXS
02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Hello Autogeek,

I have a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX that is in very good shape with about 55,000 miles. I detail the interior often and do not allow food or drink in the car. There are no stains on the seats or carpet and the interior get vaccumed every month or so. Here are some pics of my interior:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2-5-13_Interior_2_700.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2-5-13_Interior_1_700.JPG

But, the seats/carpet have never actually been wet cleaned or UV protected. I do not have any extractors/shampoo machines so I would like to do this by hand (The cloth is pretty clean as it is so hopefully doing it by hand should be enough) but don't really know where to start. There seem to be so many products.

Some of the cleaning products I saw were:

Wolfgang Carpet and Upholstery Restorer
303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner
DP Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel
SONAX Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner
303 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner and Spot Remover
Folex?

For Protection:

303 High Tech Fabric Guard
Chemical Guys Fabric Guard Protectant
Stoner Fabric & Carpet Protector

So which products do I need and how should I apply them? My gut tells me to go with "303 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner and Spot Remover" and "303 High Tech Fabric Guard". Hopefully these products (Especially the Fabric Guard) will not stiffen up the cloth or do anything like that.

Also, its hard to tell whether I need the 303 Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or the 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner.

I guess I should apply the cleaner with a damp microfiber and vaccum both before and afterwards then spray on the protectant? Also, I can use the cleaner/protectant that I choose on both the seats and carpet correct?

Thanks,
Drew

Pureshine
02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I have been using Folex for over 20 years stuff works great and 303 fabric guard is a great product to. Yes you can use both products on both areas. Folex just spray on stain let sit for a couple minutes and use a micro fiber towel scrub and let dry then use 303.
Todd

WRXINXS
02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I have been using Folex for over 20 years stuff works great and 303 fabric guard is a great product to. Yes you can use both products on both areas. Folex just spray on stain let sit for a couple minutes and use a micro fiber towel scrub and let dry then use 303.
Todd

Todd,

I dont have any stains though just thought I needed to give ALL the fabric/carpet a cleaning. Is Folex just for isolated stains though?

Drew

Pureshine
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Todd,

I dont have any stains though just thought I needed to give ALL the fabric/carpet a cleaning. Is Folex just for isolated stains though?

Drew
Folex can be used for big stains to. I if you have no stains just put the protectant on the seats then.

Speed-Dude
02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Go to your walmart, go close to the auto care section and look for their shop vacs. I was able to get a small, but very powerful, 1.5 gallon wet/dry vacuum for only 20 bucks. They have a bigger 5 gallon one for 40 bucks go see! It could be handy for vacuuming and you can maybe lightly wet the seats to extract them in a way.

fenderpicks
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
IMO, if it was my car, i will use a dedicated interior cleaner, since u said it isnt that dirty and it doesnt have any stains.

Give it a good clean/rub, let it air dry, and use some CQ leather/fabric coat.
And give that a good even coat and let it dry, and you will be set for life

WRAPT C5Z06
02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
My gut tells me to go with "303 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner and Spot Remover" and "303 High Tech Fabric Guard".

This combo should work great, especially because your interior is not soiled.

cleanmycorolla
02-05-2013, 01:56 PM
CarPro has a coating for seats....anyone try that?