PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sponge dead?

Pages : [1] 2

nubaseal
02-05-2013, 10:05 AM
All of us know our mitts and MF Towels and we use them for traditional shampoo as well as Rinseless washes. Does this mean that the sponge is dead?
I saw one recently and having never used one, was tempted to try it with ONR. Is that a bad idea?

swanicyouth
02-05-2013, 10:28 AM
All of us know our mitts and MF Towels and we use them for traditional shampoo as well as Rinseless washes. Does this mean that the sponge is dead?
I saw one recently and having never used one, was tempted to try it with ONR. Is that a bad idea?

I think it is. I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that sponges would just drag dirt across the the paint. A while ago I used to use the Lake Country big blue sponge. I really liked it, its scored all over, so it has "fingers" cut into it. I used it for 2 BM washes.

.... Until.. I threw it in the washing machine and I exploded into 6 billion blue pieces of foam. But if your interested in a sponge, that's a nice one.

Again, as with a lot of detailing stuff, you'll get a lot of "he says / she says".- but not a lot of facts to back it up. I'm guessing technique would matter more than sponge / wool / microfiber.

chris.ganucheau
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I still use the natural sea sponge sold here. I would recommend it over any microfiber mitt. It is amazingly soft an holds more soap than my mitts ever did. Now I do still have two super plush wash mitts but I bought them on bogo. Can't ever have enough wash mitts or sponges.

jhodges
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM

Saw this thread a little while ago.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59587-sponge.html

I've seen these sponges.

I'm sure you know, if you're using a real sponge; it's already dead. :xyxthumbs:

Pureshine
02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
No! I know lots of top detailers who will always use a sponge. I use both everyday and will never stop using them. I do use the
meguiars wash mitt its a great product and you can't beat the price.

RZJZA80
02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I see no reason to use a sponge and I haven't used one it at least 4 - 5 years

Pureshine
02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
I see no reason to use a sponge and I haven't used one it at least 4 - 5 years

All this comes down to is preference really. What ever you like to use both are safe to use. I have use both on 300k cars and no problems.

dcjredline
02-05-2013, 12:04 PM
I too use the blue sponge talked about here, I think it scrubs better than a wash mit does. Without scratching that is. Never tried a real sponge though and am very interested in one.

Klasse Act
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I've been using the Aqua sponge for about a year now with the rinseless wash with flawless results, check Amazon.com for the best prices on them too.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Y2KSVT
02-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I used the LC blue sponge for a while and thought it worked well. I've since went an even cheaper route with grout sponges from Lowes. No marring or scratching.

Mustapha
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm the opposite. Sponges were popular back in the 90s, and by the early 00s I thought they were dead. However, around 2009 with the rise of ONR and the rediscovery of sponges, I don't think they're dead.

Right now I prefer to use the Lowe's Proline Tile & Grout Sponge. It rinses dirt faster and better than any MF or sheepskin wash mitt. With a high pressure blast from my hose, it becomes very clean. That never happens with my MF/SK wash mitts. It's also very soft (however, not all grout sponges are. I sampled 10 different brands before settling on the Lowes). Best of all, they are very cheap <$3.

Pats300zx
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm the opposite. Sponges were popular back in the 90s, and by the early 00s I thought they were dead. However, around 2009 with the rise of ONR and the rediscovery of sponges, I don't think they're dead.

Right now I prefer to use the Lowe's Proline Tile & Grout Sponge. It rinses dirt faster and better than any MF or sheepskin wash mitt. With a high pressure blast from my hose, it becomes very clean. That never happens with my MF/SK wash mitts. It's also very soft (however, not all grout sponges are. I sampled 10 different brands before settling on the Lowes). Best of all, they are very cheap <$3.

I love my Lowes grout sponge. I use them all the time. I keep flopping back and forth between my GS and MF mitts. The GS rinses so clean and are so soft. For the money you really can't beat them.

nubaseal
02-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Let me ask a different question about the humble sponge. Since ONR doesn't have any suds, is it safe to use a sponge with ONR? I still feel it is after to wash with a microfiber when it ones to ONR.

BillyJack
02-09-2013, 02:03 PM
When I bought my first jug of ONR a few years ago, I went out and bought a dedicated grout sponge. Soon after, I read an lengthy post from Dr. G detailing the advantages of a microfiber towel over a sponge. He also mentioned he was working on a sponge designed specifically for use with ONR, which later came to market. From that day forward, I've done hundreds of rinseless washes using 2 MF towels. The first one is folded in quarters and used dripping wet, one face at a time. The second one is wrung out near dry and used for a final wipe before drying. Using this process, I find no dirt on my drying towels, which is my benchmark for a good wash media.

I still use my grout sponge, but its only purpose nowadays is to use up the remaining ONR for wheels and tires.

Bill

Bunky
02-10-2013, 07:04 AM
I still use my grout sponge, but its only purpose nowadays is to use up the remaining ONR for wheels and tires.

Bill

I often use a sponge on the lower rockers and bottom rear quarter panels. The sponge definitely rinses cleanly during a rinseless.