PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Glaze and What to Top It With?

Pages : [1] 2 3

BTLew81
02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
I know many of us/you don't like glazes much. However, I do think they have their place.

The car I am using it on is solid white. Would like to top with a durable product. Have 845 on hand and would like to use that if possible. Some options I have thought of...

-PB white diamond
-Amigo
-Glossworkz
-Sonus swirl buster

Any others I missed? Given those options, what is your preference?

Thanks.

AutowerxDetailing
02-05-2013, 12:22 AM
I don't use glazes much...

I have done some long term testing with this though: XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-carnauba-finishing.html)

My friend has an old Subaru wagon that has been severely neglected. He let me do a half and half on the hood. I tested out the xmt fine swirl remover and the finishing glaze. It's been about six months. He says the side with the glaze is still beading compared to the other side. No topper. Just the glaze.

Only other glaze I have used is Megs #7. I've never really noticed a difference in gloss when using a glaze compared to not.

Sorry, no pics. I can see if he can snap one next time it rains...

HellDemon
02-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Hmm well one thing that I was sorely disappointed with upon my own misconceptions was the fact that glazes could hide deep swirls. Glossworkz glaze, which is supposedly one of the heaviest filling glazes, only made it partially less noticable, but they were definitely still there.
Keep in mind I have a solid non-metallic white car as well.

However it is absolutely amazing at completely filling in light swirls, like what is generally seen on well maintained cars.
My car had a little scrape by some @$$ in a parking lot who just drove away after hitting it, so I painted over that area and wetsanded it. But things came up and I didn't have time to continuously wetsand afterwards with less aggressive sandpaper, so it just stayed like that (used 1500 grit). I did however, use some glaze, worked it in hard by hand and holy crap the sand marks were gone; literally like I just polished the paint. This stuff is crazy, as long as you know its limitations.

Personally I love glazes because my car is a DD; I can't constantly be polishing the thing, especially since honda tafetta white is their thinnest single stage paint... Really urks me that I fell in love with detailing AFTER I bought the car Haha!

But do keep in mind, glazes don't last very long; you're probably looking at around 3-4 weeks with glossworkz. I haven't tried any others but I have no need to since this works well. And if glossworkz is already considered one of the best fillers, then unfortunately nothing can meet my need of filling in deep swirls without polishing.

BTLew81
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Keep the help coming! Great stuff. Keep in mind I will be topping this to "seal" in the glaze.

rmagnus
02-05-2013, 12:35 AM
BL & V07

I prefer to polish M205 and wax Col845 is hard to beat. Need to break out the Fuzion and see the hype for myself. IMO nothing beats polishing for shine. Wax for protecting that shine.

Andr3wilson
02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
I have recently had great success with Menz Finishing Glaze. Accidentally bought a gallon of it, but its a "hidden gem".

For a topper, oddly Menz PL has given great results too!

FUNX650
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze...Followed by applying something like either:
3M Show Car Wax, Meg's #26, S100 Carnuba, or Collinite #845/#915.

Of course...
Over the years I've used other waxes/hybrid waxes...
Too many to mention.

And then there is the: Meg's #7/Meg's #26 combo...
Another favorite of mine, being brought to you, to also consider.

:)

Bob

Meticulous-Detail
02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I love Wet Glaze 2.0, use it under my sealant and wax and then on top. Car looks ridiculous.

Qusai
02-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze...Followed by applying something like either:
3M Show Car Wax, Meg's #26, S100 Carnuba, or Collinite #845/#915.

Of course...
Over the years I've used other waxes/hybrid waxes...
Too many to mention.

And then there is the: Meg's #7/Meg's #26 combo...
Another favorite of mine, being brought to you, to also consider.

:)

Bob

BOB, I have to ask you about the #7. Would it be worth having this in my arsenal if i already have a glaze like backlight? Im considering

lokerola
02-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I like Poorboy's black hole glaze on my 2011 Dodge Charger. It's a daily driver and it's very hard to keep minor swirls from popping up.

During the summer I'll often wash and top with Poorboy's glaze by hand and follow up with a quick spray of XMT360 or Pinnacle spray wax.

Johny B
02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
I have tried several glazes and the best one I found is Wet Glaze 2.0 topped with Collinite 845 for the winter. During summer I top it with Fuzion.

wanabe detailer
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I use PB white diamond on my 2012 ram. Hides well, top with 845

jjj
02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
I have used XMt glaze with carnauba, PB black hole and white. Xmt is watery but does a good job easy to work in. For the money think pb is better. Topped it with coly 845 winter, s100, souveran, or nb in warmer months.

Qusai
02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
So a glaze hinders durability of an lsp somewhat but is well worth the look correct? And would it be right or ok to sandwich a glaze? Like after a wash that has an lsp on my paint already, would it be cool to glaze again, then apply lsp again?

Bert31
02-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I love Wet Glaze 2.0, use it under my sealant and wax and then on top. Car looks ridiculous.

Who sells Wet Glaze now?