PDA

View Full Version : A good degreaser?

FMINUS
05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Is simple green a good choice? if so which one?
I am looking to use this for the engine bay, undercarriage and lower bumpers/sides.

THANKS!

D
05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/5829-teach-me-about-degreasers-please.html

orngez
05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
you can dilute sg for those purposes but it is really not recommended as it is a little harsh and does not rinse clean...leaves a white residue...and can spot on aluminum...i recommend megs body solvent or if you can afford it p21s total auto wash is the way to go...also for the bumper and sides just use a bug and tar remover in a higher concentration....many people (myself included) have plenty of success with simple green...just wanted to let you know there are better, but more expensive, options....it works...just not the best and leaves a lot of residue that will consume your time getting it off

BILL
05-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I am looking to use this for the engine bay, undercarriage and lower bumpers/sides.

THANKS!

Use Autoglym Engine Cleaner EXCELLENT:righton:

FMINUS
05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
I was looking at this, DP Engine Degreaser with Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-engine-degreaser.html)
But I dont want to rinse out my engine bay, is there a spray and wipe application? Or can I do that with this?

supercharged
05-07-2007, 12:03 AM

THANKS!
I personally like Zep Citrus Degreaser. It about $9 for a gallon at Home Depot, I cut it with water 1:1, for engine - works excellent. I use the same strengh on wheel wells. For lower half of car I cut it 4:1.
One the other hand you could give DP a try (I used it and really liked it), especially on a car like your M3. Be sure to cover altenator, and all belts before starting.

Good luck.

FMINUS
05-07-2007, 01:53 AM
I personally like Zep Citrus Degreaser. It about $9 for a gallon at Home Depot, I cut it with water 1:1, for engine - works excellent. I use the same strengh on wheel wells. For lower half of car I cut it 4:1.
One the other hand you could give DP a try (I used it and really liked it), especially on a car like your M3. Be sure to cover altenator, and all belts before starting.

Good luck.

I ended up going with Megs super degrease, $15 for one gallon. I will probably also pick up the citrus one just for kicks!

supercharged
05-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I ended up going with Megs super degrease, $15 for one gallon. I will probably also pick up the citrus one just for kicks!
ZEP CD is an outstanding product!