PDA

View Full Version : upholstery protectant?

Pages : [1] 2

jjj
02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Anyone use a upholstery protectant? If so what brand and how often? I havent been made a believer yet. All info appreciated

Mazda.Mark
02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
303 or ScotchGuard?

I also have Mazda carpets which are a notorious pain. Thnak goodness the new car is leather seats.

Fishincricket
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Can 303 protectant be used on cloth or leather? Or is there another 303 product for this?

Mazda.Mark
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Can 303 protectant be used on cloth or leather? Or is there another 303 product for this?

Read this from 303 website:

Automotive Leather (http://303products.com/index.php/product-uses/automotive-leather)

jjj
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
which to use on carpets and cloth seats? will the 303 line work well for this or is there a better cloth protectant out there.

Setec Astronomy
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
303 High Tech Fabric Guard 32oz (http://www.autogeek.net/32ozsize.html)

Optimum keeps threatening to come out with an interior product, at one time it was supposed to be pro-only, don't know about now or if it will ever arrive.

BrutalNoodle
02-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Anyone use a upholstery protectant? If so what brand and how often? I havent been made a believer yet. All info appreciated

At the moment I'm using Carpro's Cquartz Fabric & Leather Sealant on my vehicle (leather) and my mother's Outback (fabric). IMO, it is the best protectant I've tried to date. Expensive, but the way it repels/suspends liquid is simply amazing. As for longevity, I can't say for certain since it's been less than 2 weeks since application.

swanicyouth
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
303 Protectant can be used on coated leather just fine. In fact, its known as a good UV inhibitor in general, so it may not be a bad choice. After the hours I've spent in front of the computer reading about this I've come up with:

1. Almost all cars today that have leather use a leather that has been coated with some type of polyurethane coating. This is like a plastic clear coat for leather. You are actually treating / protecting that coating, not the actual leather itself.

2. Dirt (sweat, body oils, etc...), mechanical abrasion (the act of sitting on the seat), and UV (especially in convertibles) are the worse enemies to leather.

3. Keeping the leather clean (frequent cleanings with mild neutral pH cleaner) and protecting it (barrier protectant with UV inhibitors) are the best thing you can do for your leather. "Conditioning" has little if any value - and, may actually attract more dust and dirt.

4. The 2 products I know of that are readily available at AG that provide a mechanical barrier from abrasion, a barrier from dirt/sweat/body oils etc.., are UV protectants, and act as a long lasting (months) coating/barrier for leather are: CarPro's Fabric and Leather Protectant and G Techniq's L1.

I use 303 Fabric Guard on my fabric convertible top and carpet. While I love the CarPro product, the 303 fabric product is cheap, lasts a long time, and beads water extremely well.

And, depending on what bottle you get, it may have a GM or Ford on the bottle:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/05/ubusutyj.jpg

You can use the 303 fabric protector pretty heavy, I have noticed no adverse results. I think this is the most versatile out there for the price. In covering fabric, I could see using almost the whole bottle of the CarPro stuff up on maybe 2 SUVs. Since the 303 works so well, I can't justify the price of the CarPro stuff for fabric.

psynx
02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I use 303 and cg upholstery repellent. Its a life saver on my convertible top

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Crazy Diamond
02-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I also use 303

Speed-Dude
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I use Wolfgang CTS and it's awesome. Makes the leather seats feel unbelievably smooth and it noticeably beads water like paint. There are some ideas that CTS might be similar to ETS (cockpit trim sealant vs exterior trim sealant) so it has that flexibility of being used outside too. I used it on my wiper coil with great results.

I'd be curious as to how 303 fairs against CTS or UIG+.

wanabe detailer
02-04-2013, 05:41 PM
303 for me

FishyX
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Been really happy with the duability of 303 on my cloth seats. Almost a year and it still beads water perfectly. I thought it would wear off pretty quick on the seating surface but I was dead wrong. Not sure how it's holding up on the carpet cuz I have Husky Liners. Can't believe I used Scotchguard all those years!!!!

jjj
02-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the information!!! I have to say I am about to order some 303. Sounds like it will be something good to add to my arsonal.

WRXINXS
02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Do you have to clean your seats before using the 303 fabric guard? I vaccum them all the time and they have no stains or anything like that but I have never actually shampooed them because I don't allow food/drink in the car.