PDA

View Full Version : If You Drop Your Microfiber Towel...

Marc08EX
02-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Do you toss it to your lower class towel category (for jambs/engine/interior/wheels) or do you still keep it with your towels for paint?

I've read before that dirt/debris might get trap in the nap of the MF so you should toss this to the lower class towel category when it happens. I've been doing this. However, I dropped 3 almost new mf towels. I just hate to toss it to my lower class towels just because I dropped it.

I'm the type of guy who only uses my MF towels for drying the car, and removing product. My MF towels for paint never see dirt. I've always done traditional washes. About 6 months ago, I started doing waterless/rinseless. You know how the towels get soiled very quickly but they wash away when you laundry the towels.

So I realized, if I dropped a towel, it's almost the same as picking up the dirt/grime when I do waterless/rinseless washing!! So I should be ok in keeping it in the higher class towels for paint right? So long as I laundry it of course.

THANKS

SON1C
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Just wash my man

CM8 6MT
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Just wash my man

Yep. I inspect mine thoroughly for any grit or fibers that are still left after washing before I put them in storage.

Marc08EX
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah. I took the 3 towels back from my lower class towel category and I'll just wash them again. I don't see any dirt/grit but you'll never know because it might be microscopic.

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but I just want to hear what others are doing. I swear way back when that it was the proper thing to do. Now that I'm doing waterless/rinseless, it just seems illogical.

Chris's FX4
02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Honestly, it depends on where I drop mine at. If its on a floor in the house, then I really don't worry too much. It's when I drop them on the driveway or the garage floor that I start to worry a little. Either way I just wash them and look them over real good for any huge chunks of stuff and then go from there.

I agree with your logic about the waterless/rinseless washes though. I understand the towels can pick up dirt to an extent but if I drop one and simply pick it straight up, rather than dragging it across the floor, then how much "damaging" dirt could it have really picked up?

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
02-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Yep. I inspect mine thoroughly for any grit or fibers that are still left after washing before I put them in storage.

What he said haha.

Pureshine
02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
What he said haha.
+2 don't through money if you don't have to.

Marc08EX
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses, Son1c, Aaron, Chris, Caleb and Pureshine! Makes total sense.

I'll be more diligent in checking the towels after they come out of the dryer. Sometimes I get lazy and just fold them up LOL!

Honestly, it depends on where I drop mine at. If its on a floor in the house, then I really don't worry too much. It's when I drop them on the driveway or the garage floor that I start to worry a little. Either way I just wash them and look them over real good for any huge chunks of stuff and then go from there.

I agree with your logic about the waterless/rinseless washes though. I understand the towels can pick up dirt to an extent but if I drop one and simply pick it straight up, rather than dragging it across the floor, then how much "damaging" dirt could it have really picked up?

Funny you mention that Chris. I dropped 2 in the garage floor and 1 in the cement side walk outside my residence. I was pissed!!! I felt really bad because they were good towels that have only been used once maybe? Why would i put them in the lower class towel category especially because those were expensive towels.

Yesterday, I was QD'ing my car. My towel was turning black especially on the lower panels of the car. That's dirt that was picked up from the highway and kicked back up to stick to the lower parts of your paint. If that's ok then why is the garage floor or walkway in front of your house not ok? I'm sure they're equally dirty or the highway is worse...

When i say I read something way back when, it was a time where waterless/rinseless didn't exist yet...

cardaddy
02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Just wash my man

:iagree: with :whs: x2

Within reason, it's easy to figure out, upon close inspection, how to grade them once they come out of the dryer.
I keep a magic marker handy and put a little mark in the corner.

No mark = paint,
1 = interior, glass,
2 = jambs, (clean) wheels,
3 = rocker panels, engine bay,
4 = inside wheels, dirty wheels, exhaust, etc. AKA Rag Pile
Honestly, most don't make it till 4 marks. I end up using the 3's then throwing them in the rag pile after that.

Chris's FX4
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Funny you mention that Chris. I dropped 2 in the garage floor and 1 in the cement side walk outside my residence. I was pissed!!! I felt really bad because they were good towels that have only been used once maybe? Why would i put them in the lower class towel category especially because those were expensive towels.

Yesterday, I was QD'ing my car. My towel was turning black especially on the lower panels of the car. That's dirt that was picked up from the highway and kicked back up to stick to the lower parts of your paint. If that's ok then why is the garage floor or walkway in front of your house not ok? I'm sure they're equally dirty or the highway is worse...

When i say I read something way back when, it was a time where waterless/rinseless didn't exist yet...
Exactly. Like I said before, its not like you are dragging the towel across the floor if you drop it. You're dragging it across all that dirt on your paint, given there is a lubricant, but all that dirt still goes into the towel.

Marc08EX
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
:iagree: with :whs: x2

Within reason, it's easy to figure out, upon close inspection, how to grade them once they come out of the dryer.
I keep a magic marker handy and put a little mark in the corner.

No mark = paint,
1 = interior, glass,
2 = jambs, (clean) wheels,
3 = rocker panels, engine bay,
4 = inside wheels, dirty wheels, exhaust, etc. AKA Rag Pile

Honestly, most don't make it till 4 marks. I end up using the 3's then throwing them in
the rag pile after that.

Having that much categories will drive me insane!!! hahaha! I just have paint towels and non-paint towels. But thanks! The magic market doesn't wash away?

Exactly. Like I said before, its not like you are dragging the towel across the floor if you drop it. You're dragging it across all that dirt on your paint, given there is a lubricant, but all that dirt still goes into the towel.

Yup. All the dirt and grime your car's picking up on the highway is ending up in your towel. Like I said, I think that's worse than what your towel picks up in your garage/walkway.