PDA

View Full Version : gg6 shutting off

Pages : [1] 2

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
So my gg6 2nd generation is shutting off automatically sometimes, is it a warning feature or preventative thing?

BobbyG
02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Nearly all electric motors have something called a "motor protector" to well, protect it from heat and thermal overload. It's possible that this could be the cause working correctly and something's wrong or the device itself is defective....or another defect is present causing the issue...

They have a lifetime guarantee so send it back for a replacement...

habeba86
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
It shouldnt ever shut off by its self. How does it start working again?

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-03-2013, 04:49 PM
It shouldnt ever shut off by its self. How does it start working again?

I just turn it back on.

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Nearly all electric motors have something called a "motor protector" to well, protect it from heat and thermal overload. It's possible that this could be the cause working correctly and something's wrong or the device itself is defective....or another defect is present causing the issue...

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to do. I have a brand new spare now so guess its time to break it out!

Crazy Diamond
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Bad brushes maybe

Johny B
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM

:iagree:best thing to do.

BobbyG
02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Bad brushes maybe

Great thought!! :dblthumb2:

How old is the polisher or better yet, how much time do you have on it?

Dougw4355
02-03-2013, 06:45 PM
My Griots 6" which is just 2 months old,,suddenly shut off during a detail last week. I let it cool down, tried again, changed outlets ect Never came back on again. I just sent it back to griots. If it fails within 30 days AG will take it back but mine was over that period. I actually got an english speaking very friendly person at griots who was more than helpful in the return process..

SANTA3013
02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Mine did that right out of the box. Sent it back on their dime and they sent me another one. Easy.

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Great thought!! :dblthumb2:

How old is the polisher or better yet, how much time do you have on it?

Its about a year old, but does have plenty of use almost daily.

NIS240SHU
02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
If the extension cord you're using is too long you'll have too much voltage drop across the wire. When dealing with motors, as voltage drops, current rises, which can overheat the motor.

Could that be a cause? Maybe you recently started using a different cord?

- Helder

PERFECTIONPLUS
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
If the extension cord you're using is too long you'll have too much voltage drop across the wire. When dealing with motors, as voltage drops, current rises, which can overheat the motor.

Could that be a cause? Maybe you recently started using a different cord?

- Helder

No, been using the same cords for about a year now , no problems till just recently

jrs1418
02-04-2013, 03:05 AM
Im on my 2nd GG6, 1st one shut off a few times, then never came back on. They replaced it and paid shipping all directions. #2 has started doing it as well, getting aggrivated!

MarkD51
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
As others have mentioned, you're covered by a lifetime warrantee.

But not sure now what Griots Garage does, since their newest Gen. 3 machine is now on the shelves? Do they simply give you a Gen 3, even though the machine that failed under warrantee is an older model? Just curious about this one?

Some good reasons have been given as to why such is happening.
Another thought, is the machine now running hotter than it was before, that it is going into a thermal shutdown? Any possibility of the machine being loaded with dusts-debris from pads, or such?