PDA

View Full Version : Lost my interest in washing n waxing n detailing.

Pages : [1] 2

Bernard
02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
It just stopped raining. I stand in front of my car thinking to myself should I wash n wax it? I end up going in n typing this thread. I lost my interest in detailing my car. I have been taking my car to the car wash for 5 mths now. I used to wash it every week myself n waxing it. But now it seems like a drag to do so.
I used to love waxing my car n love the slickness n water beading. But now I couldn't care less of it. What's happening to me. I have been detailing my cars for a long time. Since my 1st car a Mini Clubman. Looking back its been 20 years n now I just lost my interest in detailing my car...? What to do? Any Car Detailing Shrink in the house?

RedXray
02-03-2013, 03:36 AM
What have you replaced with the time you used to spend detailing your car? Eating a bag of chips watching dancing with the stars? Everyone gets a little burned out now and then. You'll be back to detailing because you love it and because your good at it Bernard

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqLuNSPRTQ]drive your car into the lake - YouTube[/video]

Crazy Amos
02-03-2013, 03:46 AM
When was the last time you completely detailed it?

HellaBroke
02-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Foam canon time if you don't have one. Or trade your car in for a camaro u will feel morally obligated to wash wax and drive the piss out of it

dc52nv
02-03-2013, 03:59 AM
I sometimes lose interest myself. My cure for my insanity is trying new products. I started out with Megs and used it for many years. I came to the same conclusion as you mentioned and was just bored with it. I then started using different brand products like PB, BF, Optimum, Ultima and so on. I love the different outcome each product provides.

Bernard
02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Yup I guess changing to a new car does the trick. But with the current market situation. Its a to make a decision like that. I have bought many detailing products, most of them I only used it a few times only. And just sit in the cabinet for a year or two. :-(
I used to find detailing fun but "sigh" really have to find the mojo once again.

BobbyG
02-03-2013, 09:29 AM
As we get older the excitement in life changes. I remember when I bought a new car, or a new tool, or gun.... I couldn't wait to get out there and use / play with it. While enjoy something new the euphoria normally associated with things has long since vanished...

Burnout

Sometimes we just need a break. Online forums can be exiting but they can also become all consuming and occasionally we become frustrated because every spare moment is sitting in front of the computer on the same forum talking about the same things over and over and over....no challenge...

As intelligent humans we need challenges and variety. While I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, I believe complacency and boredom result in the degradation of braincells because they're no longer needed to perform the current level of tasks. The brain needs stimulation and activity, similar to the body needing exercise otherwise couch potato syndrome sets in.

Depression

Classic signs of this illness are lost interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure. You said you've been doing this for over 20 years and now all of a sudden this activity/joy is gone....

Bernard
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm been toying with another idea to stimulate my interest back. Since it's a difficult decision to change to a new car in this economy. Well maybe I could respray my car to another color and maybe install a new rims too. I'm thinking of maybe metallic dark grey or metallic dark green or blue? :-) My current car is silver.

cardaddy
02-03-2013, 01:39 PM
It just stopped raining. I stand in front of my car thinking to myself should I wash n wax it? I end up going in n typing this thread. I lost my interest in detailing my car. I have been taking my car to the car wash for 5 mths now. I used to wash it every week myself n waxing it. But now it seems like a drag to do so.
I used to love waxing my car n love the slickness n water beading. But now I couldn't care less of it. What's happening to me. I have been detailing my cars for a long time. Since my 1st car a Mini Clubman. Looking back its been 20 years n now I just lost my interest in detailing my car...? What to do? Any Car Detailing Shrink in the house?

I'm confused... the Clubman didn't come out till 2007 in the UK, 2008 here. :dunno: Is like 1 human year 4 car detailing years? ;)

WRAPT C5Z06
02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
As we get older the excitement in life changes. I remember when I bought a new car, or a new tool, or gun.... I couldn't wait to get out there and use / play with it. While enjoy something new the euphoria normally associated with things has long since vanished...

Burnout

Sometimes we just need a break. Online forums can be exiting but they can also become all consuming and occasionally we become frustrated because every spare moment is sitting in front of the computer on the same forum talking about the same things over and over and over....no challenge...

As intelligent humans we need challenges and variety. While I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV, I believe complacency and boredom result in the degradation of braincells because they're no longer needed to perform the current level of tasks. The brain needs stimulation and activity, similar to the body needing exercise otherwise couch potato syndrome sets in.

Depression

Classic signs of this illness are lost interest in former hobbies, pastimes, social activities. You’ve lost your ability to feel joy and pleasure. You said you've been doing this for over 20 years and now all of a sudden this activity/joy is gone....

:iagree:

I've been through this stage before. I lost ALL passion for detailing. I came very close to selling everything! It's a phase some of us go through. I'm sure glad I got back into the swing of things. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Crazy Amos
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
:iagree:

I've been through this stage before. I lost ALL passion for detailing. I came very close to selling everything! It's a phase some of us go through. I'm sure glad I got back into the swing of things. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Same here to the T. Im starting to come out if the slump myself. Glad to be back amongst the community!

WRAPT C5Z06
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Same here to the T. Im starting to come out if the slump myself. Glad to be back amongst the community!
:props:

For me, I became frustrated because I was not getting the results that I wanted(polishing). I tend to compare myself to the very skilled professionals, but I realized my skill set is not there YET! As Jim Valvano once said, "don't give up, don't ever give up" !!!!

Pureshine
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
I under stand 100% I love detailing everyone else's cars but mine now. I don't get any joy out of it. I think the biggest reason for me is I'm not getting paid. So when I have to do mine feels to much like work lol.

g26er
02-03-2013, 04:53 PM
I under stand 100% I love detailing everyone else's cars but mine now. I don't get any joy out of it. I think the biggest reason for me is I'm not getting paid. So when I have to do mine feels to much like work lol.

^This

I don't think it's too much about "not getting paid" for me though. More like, I feel that on my car I gotta go big or go home every time. It's hard for me just to "clean" my car... it's like a full detail every time. I can't help it :(

Crazy Diamond
02-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Bobby's right, sometimes we just need to walk away from something's when the begin to feel like a drag. After some time goes by you may find yourself wanting to detail that car again.