PDA

View Full Version : Superomniphobic Coating???

Pages : [1] 2

NotVeryCreative
02-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Superomniphobic Material Vigorously Repels All Fluids | Wired Design | Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/design/2013/02/superomniphobicexpialidocious/)

Any chance we might ever see something like this on a car?

HellDemon
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Not anytime soon; if it's truly super hydrophobic it has a contact angle of 150+; gtechniq exo, which is the most hydrophobic coating we have, I think is something like 110 degrees? So it'll take some time.
Also Neverwet also demonstrated something similar; well not just similar, it was also a super hydrophobic coating back in august 2011, but still nothing since then... I'd imagine the manufacturing process or even making it consumer friendly is extremely difficult :/

FUNX650
02-02-2013, 09:43 PM
@OP: If you want to see some previous "superomniphobic-comments":

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59527-superomniphobic-could-future-coatings.html

:)

Bob

NotVeryCreative
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
@OP: If you want to see some previous "superomniphobic-comments":

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59527-superomniphobic-could-future-coatings.html

Bob

Whoops, probably should've done a search on that first. Thanks!

FUNX650
02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Whoops, probably should've done a search on that first. Thanks!
No big whoop...
Who'd a thought that this particular subject matter would have already been broached?

Bob

SON1C
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
i have waxes that can do that easily, you can't test it on that tiny little piece of material
test it on a hood, and it'll sheet just like any high quality wax , coating etc

FUNX650
02-02-2013, 10:59 PM
i have waxes that can do that easily, you can't test it on that tiny little piece of material
test it on a hood, and it'll sheet just like any high quality wax , coating etc
Now...(take a deep breath)...And:
Without mentioning: "Anything-DoDo"...

Please (if you don't mind)...
Name some of those waxes you have, that: by following your testing parameters...
Will cause them to sheet like any high-quality wax, coating, etc..

Thanks.

Bob

BTW:
I thought all of your waxes were high-quality. :confused:

g26er
02-02-2013, 11:43 PM

AutowerxDetailing
02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
gtechniq exo, which is the most hydrophobic coating we have, I think is something like 110 degrees?

I believe C.Quartz, Opti-Coat, EXO, & 22ple all have a similar 100-110 degree water contact angle rating.

FUNX650
02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
I believe C.Quartz, Opti-Coat, EXO, & 22ple all have a similar 100-110 degree water contact angle rating.

Curious as to your opinion of the following:

What is the time-frame, for these particular Coatings, before this: Non-Wetting contact angle deteriorates...
and begins to 'lean towards' becoming: Wetting/Totally-Wetted contact angles?

Also:

Would these different/varying: contact angles...
ever be applicable to other LSP's, such as waxes/sealants?
If so: When?

Thanks.

Bob

ihaveacamaro
02-03-2013, 12:50 AM
doesn't look like we'll be seeing these for any foreseeable future to cars at least, as the guy who developed it, said that they are very susceptible to mechanical damage. Our cars are always hit by bugs, rocks, and all sorts of debris that would damage the coating. Not to mention that is a visible fabric like coating, not clear like something like Opticoat.

A very cool link OP!

PiPUK
02-03-2013, 07:10 AM
There is practically no chance this will be seen on after market automotive products any time soon. This topic or something close seems to come up routinely on detailing forums and is realistically a bit like reading an article about a new rocket propulsion technology and then debating how it will revolutionise indie car racing.

More generally this is an area where some suppliers massively oversell themselves. As others have pointed out, most 'super' products we have do not provide contact angles anywhere near the point which justifies classification of superhydrophobic. Alas, there are numerous products which persist in claiming it.

It is actually very straight forward to make superhydrophobic coatings - I have the ingredients to do it sitting in my lab - but application to the big outdoor world is another matter entirely. As noted by ihaveacamaro, mechanical durability is very tough to achieve. Often, if you can actually achieve it, you will have needed to go through numerous highly arduous steps which are a possibility in the lab but absolutely not for a single man with little chemical knowledge who simply wishes to protect his car.

SON1C
02-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Please (if you don't mind)...
Name some of those waxes you have, that: by following your testing parameters...
Will cause them to sheet like any high-quality wax, coating, etc..

Thanks.

Bob

BTW:
I thought all of your waxes were high-quality. :confused:

well first off, I'm not a dodo fanatic, I just stock a lot of their waxes, because their fun, quality, and provide a good finish
second I can't comment on all of my waxes as I haven't had the time to use all of them
furthermore any quality wax sheets well, but I'm not the guy to talk to as I have no interest in all of the coatings that get so much hype now a days, and yes I've put my money where my mouth is, and I have 5 coatings to try, the only one that interests me is a wheel coating personally -> granted some use the paint coatings on wheels as well

SON1C
02-03-2013, 09:15 AM
doesn't look like we'll be seeing these for any foreseeable future to cars at least, as the guy who developed it, said that they are very susceptible to mechanical damage. Our cars are always hit by bugs, rocks, and all sorts of debris that would damage the coating. Not to mention that is a visible fabric like coating, not clear like something like Opticoat.

A very cool link OP!

There is practically no chance this will be seen on after market automotive products any time soon. This topic or something close seems to come up routinely on detailing forums and is realistically a bit like reading an article about a new rocket propulsion technology and then debating how it will revolutionise indie car racing.

More generally this is an area where some suppliers massively oversell themselves. As others have pointed out, most 'super' products we have do not provide contact angles anywhere near the point which justifies classification of superhydrophobic. Alas, there are numerous products which persist in claiming it.

It is actually very straight forward to make superhydrophobic coatings - I have the ingredients to do it sitting in my lab - but application to the big outdoor world is another matter entirely. As noted by ihaveacamaro, mechanical durability is very tough to achieve. Often, if you can actually achieve it, you will have needed to go through numerous highly arduous steps which are a possibility in the lab but absolutely not for a single man with little chemical knowledge who simply wishes to protect his car.

agree!

FUNX650
02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
well first off, I'm not a dodo fanatic, I just stock a lot of their waxes

OK...Thanks SON1C...

I can clearly see the difference now. LOL

{J/K}

:bolt:

Bob