PDA

View Full Version : ONR Wash at 15 degrees

don03109
02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Wanted to do a ONR today using the 2 bucket method but with a Home Depot grout sponge. Worked pretty good, no scratches or swirls introduced that I could see. The only problem was that before I could dry a panel off the water would freeze on the panel. No problem, I did half panels instead. I used plenty of MFs as they would freeze and have iced ONR crystals forming on them. The waffle weave MF I had hoped to use for the entire car was soon frozen stiff like plywood. The side of the car facing the sun didn't freeze up so fast. The weather slowed me down some; but, I did manage to get the Prius and the Honda CRV finished as the temps climbed to the dizzying heights of 22*

I think that the sponge method and hot water froze to the panels faster then when using colder water. Guess I'll have to work faster.

What's the secret to doing this in below freezing temperatures?

TroyScherer
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Being indoors.....

Baconz2012
02-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Being indoors.....

Haha! Sadly he's right. Nice and straight foward

Munich77
02-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Being indoors.....

Yep - I am spoiled I have a garage with a water facet on an interior wall. To ONR my wife's car today, I pulled out the car, used the hose to rinse of the dirt, foamed up the car, did the wheels, rinsed off the car and ONR'ed in the garage.

don03109
02-02-2013, 05:37 PM
ROFL, that will go over big with the wife, honey I'm buying a garage from Autogeek!!!!
Come on spring time.

TroyScherer
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Sorry if I was a little straight forward.

If you don't have shelter, I would really suggest just letting it go till it warms up. Luckly I have garage as well and a heater I could turn on if it get below zero.

swanicyouth
02-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Letting the car idle (already warm) with the heat and defrost on full blast while your doing it helps, that and using very hot water and gloves. This will heat up the metal panels and can make all the difference. On plastics panels and bumpers it doesn't help - that's how I know it works.

don03109
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Sorry if I was a little straight forward.

Not a problem, no apology necessary as I didn't take it that way.