PDA

View Full Version : How much money do ya have to invest to have everything needed to do an exterior detail?

Pages : [1] 2

LazyGhost
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Ive spent a lot so far and still dont have everything i need yet. Gettin close though! Ive lost count at what ive spent so far. The wife only knows about a 1/3 of it. lol

Sure is a lot more expensive than i originally thought. I started with nothing. Not a bucket, wash mitt or even a nozzle for my water hose.

So come on, be honest, if all your stuff (and i mean everything) disappeared, what would you expect it to cost to buy everything thats needed to do m105/205 detail on a customers "truck" that has never been detailed before, "in one day"? Dont forget the trim!

Crazy Amos
02-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Just to clarify, are you talking presoak to final wipedown or just to correct paint?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

cardaddy
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
One word.....
*PriceLESS*

LazyGhost
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Just to clarify, are you talking presoak to final wipedown or just to correct paint?

The whole nine yards ;-)

07gtcs
02-02-2013, 04:16 PM
To much to count and afraid to add it all up.

jjj
02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I need a drink just thinking about it!

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I don't think of it as an expense. I think of it as an investment to make more money.

dooyaunastan
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I've been curious of this myself and I may as well do a rough tally

3 buckets - $15
3 grit guards - $20-30
wash media - $10
shampoo - $10-20

wheel cleaner - $10
wheel brush - $5
tire brush - $5
tire dressing - $10

glass cleaner - $10
APC - $20
ext. trim dressing - $10-20
int. trim protectant - $10-20
leather cleaner - $10-20
leather conditioner - $10-20

clay/decon media - $10-50
QD/Clay lube - $10-20

buffer - $130-$150
pads - $70-100
compound - $20-30
polish - $20-30
pad cleaner - $10-20
pad brush - $10
brinkmann light (cheap/easy light source) - $25

sealant - $20-40
wax - $20-40

waffle weave MF drying towel - $20
10x 530GSM polish/wax MF towel - $30
~5-10 cheap all purpose MF towel - $10

~$460 - $690 depending on the deals and products you get, and I've no doubt forgotten a thing or two, not to mention went bare minimum on microfiber.

cleanmycorolla
02-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I'll give this a whirl, and this is based off my first 2 purchases for a complete interior and exterior detail on my car. These are the products used on my first ever ful detail of my own car...

Polishes:
WGTSR 3.0 16oz = 29.99
WGFG 3.0 16oz = 29.99
m205 8oz = 7.99

Interior:
DP Interior Cleaner = 14.99
Opti-bond = 8.99

LSP's:
WGDGPS 16oz = 39.99
DP Max Wax 8oz = 29.99(price at the time)

Pads/Polsihser:
6 Pack LC 5 1/2" Flat Pads = 34.99
6 Pack LC CCS 4" Pads = 27.99
Griots Garage 6" RO = 129.99

Everything else:
12 Blue Rolled Edge Microfiber Towels = 20.00(non AG source)
6 Gold Plush Jr's = $24
32 ONR V3 = 15.99
3 Buckets(Lowes) = 5.00
Wheel Brush = 10.00
Megs Endurance Tire Gel = 8.99
Stoners Invisible Glass = 4.99
DP Glass Restorer = 19.99
5" LC Backing Plate = 12.99
3" LC Backing Plate = 12.99
Folex = 8.99

Grand total = 498.84

So maybe that will give you a ball park of the range, I am sure you can go cheaper or more expensive, just depends how you shop!

LazyGhost
02-02-2013, 09:57 PM
I got my first private message since joining this forum! Woohoo! The only problem is i find it a tad bit ridiculous. lol. So ridiculous in fact, that i am going to copy/paste ot below to share with the other readers of this thread. I was just going to ignore the message without replying, but the more i read it the more it aggrevated me. Perhaps i am wrong in interpretation of the message. Perhaps i did give the sender reason to make the assumptions he made when he felt compelled to type it out. If so, i apologize for the miscommunication. However, i feel i did not give the sender any reason to make the assumptions he made, so im posting the message.

My assumption;
The sender assumes from reading my op post that i am declaring myself to be a detailer.

Please reread my op post, and then read the message ive copy/pasted below.

I would think if you have expeirience detailing with 105/205 you would know the costs somewhat or you probably would not be a real detailer anyways..Anybody can say they are a car detailer,,and just splash on some armor all and wipe the tires..
Are you just all the sudden saying your a detailer? I would think you should gain some exp first and play it safe,,hope that helps a little

Im really a nice guy with thick skin and dont mean to be a snot by making a stink about this clear misunderstanding. I am just "in a mood" tonight. And cant help myself. lol

cardaddy
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Then what about;

Pad Washer $135.00
Snappy Clean $ 15.00
Hose $ 50.00
Hose sprayer $ 12.00
Hose Reel $ 50.00 ~ $225.00 Lets say $100.00

Gas Powered Pressure Washer
Honda Powered
4gpm 4000psi $1000.00
Non-Marking
50' Hose $ 70.00
Hose Reel $ 70.00
Foam Cannon $ 120.00
Blackfire soap $ 50.00

So Far . . . . . . . . . . $1622.00

Assorted wheel, detailing, interior, exterior, tire brushes

$ 200.00
Master Blaster $ 320.00

Tornador $120.00

12 Gal Shop Vac $100.00

2-stage air compressor
(for Tornador) $1200.00
Lines, fittings, hoses, etc. $ 500.00

Mytee Lite II $ 700.00
CG Extractor Cleaner solution$ 25.00

This is another $3165.00
Plus sub total $1622.00

Equipment TOTAL_-_-_-_$ 4787.00

Plus detailing supplies $613.00 (avg)

GRAND TOTAL *_*_*_ $5400.00

And that my friends, is perhaps just to do it at home. If you're in a shop you'll want a $2200.00 Mytee, along with an additional $2000.00~$3000.00 to spend on a heated pressure washer. Add some signage, forms, cards, etc. $3000.00, and perhaps a single employee $500.00+ weekly, several thousand microfibers (thanks to Alibaba) $6000.00, business insurance, clothing, phones, even MORE shop lights, better shop for that Flex (or 2), another GG, a bumblebee, shop supplies, drop cords, stools, carts, utilities......

...and next thing you know this is ANOTHER $20,000.00

So, twenty FIVE grand later it's possible to open a small, really small detailing business.
Darn this is getting expensive, remind me to stay at home. :laughing:

Crazy Amos
02-02-2013, 11:06 PM
I got my first private message since joining this forum! Woohoo! The only problem is i find it a tad bit ridiculous. lol. So ridiculous in fact, that i am going to copy/paste ot below to share with the other readers of this thread. I was just going to ignore the message without replying, but the more i read it the more it aggrevated me. Perhaps i am wrong in interpretation of the message. Perhaps i did give the sender reason to make the assumptions he made when he felt compelled to type it out. If so, i apologize for the miscommunication. However, i feel i did not give the sender any reason to make the assumptions he made, so im posting the message.

My assumption;
The sender assumes from reading my op post that i am declaring myself to be a detailer.

Please reread my op post, and then read the message ive copy/pasted below.

Im really a nice guy with thick skin and dont mean to be a snot by making a stink about this clear misunderstanding. I am just "in a mood" tonight. And cant help myself. lol

Yeah not sure what that is all about.

I wouldnt let it ruin your night.....especially since it was a PM. Guess he didnt want to rock the boat by posting it in the thread?

Anyway, cardaddy has it down pretty good. Just pick some of his listed stuff and add it up to get a good idea. You dont have to buy new either...

HellaBroke
02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Oh goo... I'm probably $1500-2000 in and I just do this for fun... Still missing large items extractor tornador compressor steamer... Elbow greese makes up "somewhat" for larger items extractor and steamer are prioritized next so there is another $2k... :|

LazyGhost
02-02-2013, 11:41 PM

I wouldnt let it ruin your night.....especially since it was a PM. Guess he didnt want to rock the boat by posting it in the thread?

Anyway, cardaddy has it down pretty good. Just pick some of his listed stuff and add it up to get a good idea. You dont have to buy new either...

Yea, just a misunderstanding. Its likely I misinterpreted on my end as well.

Cardaddys got it figured out for sure! I dont see myself ever getting that much stuff. Haha. Im not trying to go in business though. Im not opposed to making a nickel on the side at some point. My dream is to do a few of my familys vehicles and get my feet wet, then get an odd job here and there to make enough money to pay for any future supplies and equipment i would want/need.

Thatll likely just stay a dream though. My summertime chores keep all of my free time tied up. Ive got around 7 acres of grass to keep cut with a riding mower. My land is extremely hilly with 40+ trees to ride around. Then theres the weedeating all of the trees along with a 3 acre pond in the front yard. And then theres the two gardens my ole lady thinks we have to plant every year. Thats a huge job. Keeping them suckers watered is also very time consuming. One of the gardens is 200 yards from the house. And then ive got the 250 acres behind my place leased for hunting. At some poiny ive got to find the time to keep it up.

Yea, when im not working, im working. Donno why my name is Lazy?

cardaddy
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM

My assumption;
The sender assumes from reading my op post that i am declaring myself to be a detailer......

:iagree: With y'all, just let it go. The misunderstanding seems to be on the other end there. From reading the forum, there are a LOT of guys that 'wanna' be a detailer, and might even pickup a few bucks here and there, but THAT does not a detailer make. Perhaps Doug felt like a 'real' detailer would know all the in's and outs, who knows...... although it REALLY doesn't matter.

Yea, just a misunderstanding. Its likely I misinterpreted on my end as well.

Cardaddys got it figured out for sure! I dont see myself ever getting that much stuff. Haha. Im not trying to go in business though. Im not opposed to making a nickel on the side at some point. My dream is to do a few of my familys vehicles and get my feet wet, then get an odd job here and there to make enough money to pay for any future supplies and equipment i would want/need.

Thatll likely just stay a dream though. My summertime chores keep all of my free time tied up. Ive got around 7 acres of grass to keep cut with a riding mower. My land is extremely hilly with 40+ trees to ride around. Then theres the weedeating all of the trees along with a 3 acre pond in the front yard. And then theres the two gardens my ole lady thinks we have to plant every year. Thats a huge job. Keeping them suckers watered is also very time consuming. One of the gardens is 200 yards from the house. And then ive got the 250 acres behind my place leased for hunting. At some poiny ive got to find the time to keep it up.

Yea, when im not working, im working. Donno why my name is Lazy?

As for me, I'm retired (well disabled, and have been for 10 years) and while I don't have some of the stuff on that list, I *DO* have more than most. I'd like an extractor, but when in the world would I ever use the darned thing! :dunno: Do I know more about detailing than anyone in my family, you BETCHA. More than all the neighbors on my street, YUP, pretty much. Could I make money at it...? Probably! More importantly DO I WANT TOO.... (with summer coming up and it's 95° in the shade) HE!! NO. :laughing:

What I spend is for ME, period. My wife keeps saying "you don't need that" and I keep reminding her that I only pull a couple hundred bucks a month out for ME, and if I want to spend it on gas, or HER I will. If I want to spend it on the HOUSE I will, and if I want to spend ME (at AG, or say for guns which means I save for a few months) then it's my freaking 'mad money' and I'll spend it all if I want.

I mean, I still need pads (my wife would beg to differ) and have over 80! (How may weekend warriors do that crazy stuff?) :rolleyes: And next week, AG will indeed be filling another order so I can play around next weekend. :D