PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this maybe a dumb question but...

runrun411
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
If it's polish that makes the shine and wax protects the shine, what's all the hype about how waxes making the shine so deep, so much depth, so shiny as if to say the wax makes all the shine. Other than carnuba what other chemicals is supposed to make the car "Shine"?

PiPUK
02-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Oh watch out for those worms....

You will get many responses and unfortunately many of them will be information which has been provided by manufacturers and sellers who really don't understand.

First up, realise that 'polish' is a generic term and can mean anything from a cleanser that contains no abrasives and no protectants right the way through to heavy oil based formulations with multiple abrasives and fillers, waxes, silicones, polymers (etc.). Never trust a polish to be one thing in particular, often you can get the facts from the description but often you actually need to use the product (or read reviews) to ascertain exactly what it is. In the context of this topic, I am presuming you mean a 'polish' to be a water/oil or oil/water emulsion containing an abrasive but little else.

That in mind, your polish is going to remove all surface contamination that remains as well as abrasively remove oxidised or otherwise damaged paint. As a result, the paint is left looking 'shiney' because it is smooth and you have minimal defects which alter the reflection of light thus degrading the appearance. You should also note that this is frequently assisted by 'fillers' which do just that, fill small imperfections so that they are not visible. In practice it is extremely hard to produce a product which does zero filling.

Now the wax. Yes indeed, it will protect. However, it can also do things to the appearance. Optics relies on refractive indexes which basically define how fast light travels in any given material. Realise this is a bit of a simplification but waxes and the other ingredients have a different index to the clearcoat and of course to the air. At each of the interfaces (wax/air, wax/clearcoat, etc) there are reflections and the different refractive index changes how light is reflected. As you will appreciate, 'shine' is closely related. So yes, wax will protect but it can also alter the appearance. In addition, most waxes will now contain silicone oils and polymers and these will make an even more pronounced effect.

Last little note is that traditional sealants work rather similarly to wax - the high tech/nano ones really do not. Again to an approximation, they actually become part of the surface and rarely are thick enough to product a notable effect (think about it, light has a wavelength of several hundred nanometers whilst the coatings are often only a few nanometers thick). So with these products, you are absolutely bang on, the polish or more accurately the entire preparation process are what gives the shine whilst the top product genuinely seals that shine in place but does negligible little to alter it.

All the best

HellaBroke
02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Great write up!

SON1C
02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Lol what he said ^
Waxes do increase looks and can alter looks, so yes they kick ass, but seldom worth over $70 imo

swanicyouth
02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Or, like anything else, the value is determined by what the market is willing to pay for it. Some products I'd be willing to pay more for, some were a waste.

SON1C
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
^ yeah that to
As long as its worth it to you, all that really matters, like jewelry for women I suppose

PiPUK
02-01-2013, 07:02 PM
like jewelry for women I suppose

Though with jewellery you generally get more gold or a bigger stone if you spend more... not honestly sure what 'more' you get with a $1000 wax instead of a $50!

mcmac
02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Good info... I guess my take away is to stay on top of your cars finish to keep it "shining" as long as possible. Upkeep is the word!

runrun411
02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
A car that shines like a diamond is a dude's (and sometimes a gal's) best friend.

Vegas Transplant
02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Other than carnuba what other chemicals is supposed to make the car "Shine"?

Beeswax
Montan wax
Banana oil
Citrus oil
Petroleum distillates
And the list goes on.

Johny B
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Or, like anything else, the value is determined by what the market is willing to pay for it. Some products I'd be willing to pay more for, some were a waste.

:iagree: