PDA

View Full Version : Scratch removal and waxing 1 year old 60 HP John Deere Tractor

silvermesa
01-31-2013, 05:55 PM
A friend of mine wants his one year old John Deere tractor detailed come spring. This tractor is a appx. 60 Hp tractor with cab and is used to bale hay. This tractor probably has plastic painted fenders and painted fiberglass or metal hood.

Questions:
1) Is John Deere Paint single stage or does it have dual stage clear coat?
2) What products have you used to remove scratches in paint, plus what wax or sealant for protection?

rmagnus
01-31-2013, 08:56 PM
SS is very different than CC. My guess is it's CC. What tools are you planning on using? Most likely a DA? My favorites are M105/205 then a wax or sealant of your choice.

silvermesa
02-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes, I was planning on using a d/a polisher.

Was just not sure if a "new" John Deere has single stage paint?

A bit of trivia on older equipment:

My friend is a farmer and has International tractors that vary between 20-40 years old. These tractors are kept inside when not in use, and their single stage paint is well maintained. Some of the hoods on these tractors are made of fiberglass. Today, he was detailing one,and is using M205 for scratch and oxidation removal and Meguiars M26 wax. I sent him a couple of threads where folks were recommending Meguiars M7 Glaze followeing up with Meguiars M26 wax for single stage paint.

Aaryn NZ
02-01-2013, 02:14 AM
G'day. I do a few John Deere tractors on a regular basis. Down here in lil ol NZ the hoods have all been single stage. The paint is real soft & super workable. M105/205 has resulted in some fantastic finishes. The roof & guards are also single stage but require a bit more work. Our sun is supposedly a bit harsher down here & some roofs & guards have been very oxidized & a few have not been fixable through polishing. Shouldn't be much trouble keeping a good finish great though. As for your wax/sealant, personal preference on your part i'd say. Enjoy it mate, great paint in my experience. :dblthumb2: :buffing:

Aaryn NZ
02-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Sorry - hoods have all been steel, roof & guards fiberglass. :xyxthumbs:

Chase.Barnett
02-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Yes, I was planning on using a d/a polisher.

Was just not sure if a "new" John Deere has single stage paint?

A bit of trivia on older equipment:

My friend is a farmer and has International tractors that vary between 20-40 years old. These tractors are kept inside when not in use, and their single stage paint is well maintained. Some of the hoods on these tractors are made of fiberglass. Today, he was detailing one,and is using M205 for scratch and oxidation removal and Meguiars M26 wax. I sent him a couple of threads where folks were recommending Meguiars M7 Glaze followeing up with Meguiars M26 wax for single stage paint.

Wheels are ss for sure. I have a 5 series sitting outside of my bedroom window right now I'll inspect tomorrow. I've actually never paid attention to it. Everything painted is mostly non metal though, I believe it's cc on the cab.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

silvermesa
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
G'day. I do a few John Deere tractors on a regular basis. Down here in lil ol NZ the hoods have all been single stage. The paint is real soft & super workable. M105/205 has resulted in some fantastic finishes. The roof & guards are also single stage but require a bit more work. Our sun is supposedly a bit harsher down here & some roofs & guards have been very oxidized & a few have not been fixable through polishing. Shouldn't be much trouble keeping a good finish great though. As for your wax/sealant, personal preference on your part i'd say. Enjoy it mate, great paint in my experience. :dblthumb2: :buffing:

Thank You for your reply!

What age of John Deere tractors are you working on with single stage paint? Do new John Deere Tractors have the same paint?

Aaryn NZ
02-02-2013, 03:53 AM
You're welcome. The last two I have done have been mid 2010 models but haven't done any that have been earlier than 2005. Can't remember the models exactly but some have been 6230s & 5720s. Definately single stage with pads going green though. :props: