PDA

View Full Version : Curiousity regarding Counterweight

psnt1ol
01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
I was cleaning out the garage to prep for the new year and I found the original counterweight that came with the PC. I swapped it for a lighter one from day one with the intention of using a 5" backing plate exclusively. It was long ago and now I can't seemed to recall the reason except that it seemed to be the right thing to do.

I imagine that it's not good to have a counterweight that is too light for the size of the plate (rotational mass). What ill effects would it have to have a heavier weight????

BillE
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
There is/was no need to change out the counter-weight (when using a PC as a buffer).

WHEN you use the PC as a sander (which is what its' life began as), then it is necessary to swap the weights for the various sizes of sanding plates.

Make sense?

Bill

psnt1ol
01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
There is/was no need to change out the counter-weight (when using a PC as a buffer).

WHEN you use the PC as a sander (which is what its' life began as), then it is necessary to swap the weights for the various sizes of sanding plates.

Make sense?

Bill

Thanks.... I suspect it as much. I couldn't think of a reason either and this was the source of my curiosity. I guessed I did it out of habit from an orbital sander.