PDA

View Full Version : How do the pros manage the clay process?

Pages : [1] 2

Nimble
05-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm wondering how you guys manage your spending on clay? It seems every car I do will need about a whole bar or so. Doesn't that get expensive? Do you guys tear a 100 gram size bar in half and try to only use that on one car? I've detailed 2 cars recently that were bad and used at least one full 100 gram bar on each.

I'm just trying to keep my costs down and clay is downright ridiculously priced.

CalgaryDetail
05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
a whole bar? thats alot of clay for even a really bad car. I normaly cut a bar into 3 or 4 peices and use one at a time, When its done (be it 1 car or more) i throw it away.

You will know when it is done.

Whitethunder46
05-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I use cheaper clay with extra lube. My lube is either ONR or DP 4n1 mixed to the clay lube ratio, therefore, I have plenty of lube.

Nimble
05-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I've done a few black cars recently though and when the clay gets even slighty dirty, it mars the crap outta the finish. I've used all types of things to minimize that, more clay lube, lighter pressure, even using expensive quik shine which helped a bit. I just don't see how some of you don't mar the finish even *slightly with clay. The type of marring I'm speaking of is like very light scuffs, ones that polish out really easily, but still are annoying.

Sevenrd
05-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I use half a bar per car. I usually get 3 - 4 complete cars out of each half of my Sonus green. I use bug and tar remover where needed before claying. That way I get the really nasty stuff off beforehand so it doesn't shorten the life of the clay.

Regarding the scuffing, I've experienced that with stronger clays (Sonus gray). The fine grades shouldn't scuff unless used improperly.

Nimble
05-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I use cheaper clay with extra lube. My lube is either ONR or DP 4n1 mixed to the clay lube ratio, therefore, I have plenty of lube.

What "cheaper clay?" All clay I've seen is really expensive.

CalgaryDetail
05-04-2007, 10:45 PM
I've done a few black cars recently though and when the clay gets even slighty dirty, it mars the crap outta the finish. I've used all types of things to minimize that, more clay lube, lighter pressure, even using expensive quik shine which helped a bit. I just don't see how some of you don't mar the finish even *slightly with clay. The type of marring I'm speaking of is like very light scuffs, ones that polish out really easily, but still are annoying.

this may sound stupid... but do you kneed the clay. I ask becasue tou say that when it gets slighlty dirty... so when its dirty do you kneed the clay?

Kelso
05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
i try not to clay without polishing honestly... because i almost always get marring

Nimble
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
this may sound stupid... but do you kneed the clay. I ask becasue tou say that when it gets slighlty dirty... so when its dirty do you kneed the clay?

Fair question, but yeah I do. I just started my own pro business, so w/o sounding like an azz, I have a pretty good idea on most everything in the detailing arena. :) I was just curious what you guys did for clay, maybe I could get away with using less? we'll see. I'll try that.

HAN
05-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Nimble, what kind of clay are you currently using? Also, I use plain water as my clay lube and that also helps cut costs (not having to pay for a clay lube/quick detailer).

Pete

CalgaryDetail
05-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Fair question, but yeah I do. I just started my own pro business, so w/o sounding like an azz, I have a pretty good idea on most everything in the detailing arena. :) I was just curious what you guys did for clay, maybe I could get away with using less? we'll see. I'll try that.

fair enough, i dindt mean it to be condesending or to be a jerk. I know people who ihave clayed and not kneeded the clay.

its kinda like one of those the computer wont work... is it pluged in?

you would be supprised how often it needs to be pluged in

orngez
05-05-2007, 01:15 AM
if you clay is getting contaminated that quick...i would increase the concentration of the soap (the wash n gloss is perfect for this :) )you are using or adding a little APC to your wash...contaminants in the paint even on a bad car should not use up an entire clay bar...i think you are leaving to much superficial contamination behind and that is why you are clogging up your clay bar so quickly...maybe you are being very thorough in your washing but this is what i usually find as the culprit to low clay life...remember it is okay to be a LITTLE rougher on paint that you are going to polish anyway...not a biggie if you marr it up a little during the wash because you are being a little agressive...just dont get to the point of scratching the paint and you will be fine...

Nimble
05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
fair enough, i dindt mean it to be condesending or to be a jerk. I know people who ihave clayed and not kneeded the clay.

its kinda like one of those the computer wont work... is it pluged in?

you would be supprised how often it needs to be pluged in

Haha, no hard feelings. :p Had to plug my computer in this morning. :D

Nimble
05-05-2007, 09:35 AM
if you clay is getting contaminated that quick...i would increase the concentration of the soap (the wash n gloss is perfect for this :) )you are using or adding a little APC to your wash...contaminants in the paint even on a bad car should not use up an entire clay bar...i think you are leaving to much superficial contamination behind and that is why you are clogging up your clay bar so quickly...maybe you are being very thorough in your washing but this is what i usually find as the culprit to low clay life...remember it is okay to be a LITTLE rougher on paint that you are going to polish anyway...not a biggie if you marr it up a little during the wash because you are being a little agressive...just dont get to the point of scratching the paint and you will be fine...

Thanks, that makes sense. I *feel* like I'm getting the cars realy clean, but I'll try adding a higher concentration of wash n gloss and maybe some amazing roll off 1:1 pre spray as well.

I know a lot of you do the "baggie test," but honestly, any cars I've done seem (to me) to need an entire car claying, so I've been claying the whole thing, and it's baby smooth afterwards. Maybe I really only *need* to do the bad areas? I'm kind of OCD and doubt I'd even be able to do that, hehe.

CalgaryDetail
05-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Haha, no hard feelings. :p Had to plug my computer in this morning. :D

i laughed so hard when i read this. I shot hot coffee out my nose.. ouch