PDA

View Full Version : Clay baring black cars

Pages : [1] 2

Pureshine
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
I was just wondering how many people won't clay a black car unless your polishing the car? I ask cause saw on someones website they won't clay a black car unless they are polishing. I have done it for years with out any problem.
Thanks
Todd

AutowerxDetailing
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I recently changed my packages to only include claying if I am polishing or at least laying down an AIO.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

CM8 6MT
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
I was just wondering how many people won't clay a black car unless your polishing the car? I ask cause saw on someones website they won't clay a black car unless they are polishing. I have done it for years with out any problem.
Thanks
Todd

Maybe not with an aggresive grade clay bar. Something mild shouldnt be a problem, if micro marring is their reason for concern.

camaro2ssblack
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Would depend on the level of contamination. The first time I clayed my black car I got some marring. Since it has been maintained, claying is harmless.

dad07
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Claying black paint without a polishing step is just crazy(In my mind)

I will not clay black paint or Dark paint without some kinda of polishing step.(period)

AutowerxDetailing
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM

I will not clay black paint or Dark paint without some kinda of polishing step.(period)

I agree. With the exception of swirled up DD paint. Most people don't even see the horrible condition their paint is in. If they have no interest in correction and their car is already a cobweb farm I wouldn't have a problem claying a dark car without polishing. Any marring from the clay would just blend right in at that point anyway. At least it would feel smooth! Lol.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

Pureshine
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM

Ya but not everyone is willing to pay for paint correction. If you educate your customers it should never be a problem. I have never had a customer complain ever and if a customers wants a sealant or wax done your not going to clay the car?
Todd

CM8 6MT
01-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Ya but not everyone is willing to pay for paint correction. If you educate your customers it should never be a problem. I have never had a customer complain ever and if a customers wants a sealant or wax done your not going to clay the car?
Todd

100% Agree

Andr3wilson
01-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Really the answer is a blend of answers on here.

Three factors limit what you can do: Clay, Contaminants, Lube.

Out of the multitudes of clays out there, you really should pick the least aggressive one and go with that. Like one of the CG clay's.

If the car is regularly clayed, go right ahead. If it hasn't been in a while, chances are you will have swirls and scratches in it, so is it bad to clay? Really your call. Also the paint colour factors in there too. A metallic hides more than a solid paint. Comes down to the customers choice and yours.

I use ONR as a lube now, but I mix it 2/3 once to 1 Litre of water in a spray bottle. Now this is much higher then what is recommended, but the added lube gives you a great barrier between the clay and the paint. I clay my cars wet, so the higher concentration makes up for the dilution of the water on the paint.

Cosmin
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM
i learn my lesson on the hard way , i claybar a new black s5 and lucky the car was schedule for 1 step polish , but i did see how was left after claybar.
since than no more claybar only for black cars, is even wash and wax or 1 step polish.

i do explain the clients who insist for it and if they say i do it.
it all depends what`s your standard, most black cars will marr/haze and if they have soft paint or are brand new will show worse than when you start with it.

claybar= wetsand in X000 grit .... like any detailer here , what comes after wetsand?....POLISH my friend. period!

Pureshine
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
i learn my lesson on the hard way , i claybar a new black s5 and lucky the car was schedule for 1 step polish , but i did see how was left after claybar.
since than no more claybar only for black cars, is even wash and wax or 1 step polish.

i do explain the clients who insist for it and if they say i do it.
it all depends what`s your standard, most black cars will marr/haze and if they have soft paint or are brand new will show worse than when you start with it.

claybar= wetsand in X000 grit .... like any detailer here , what comes after wetsand?....POLISH my friend. period!
Where you using an aggressive clay? Cause I did a new blue S5 and had no problems at all.

Cosmin
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Where you using an aggressive clay? Cause I did a new blue S5 and had no problems at all.

do a non metalic black new audi, porsche , bmw , bentey ( all this car paint are softer), or most new non metalic black cars.

i use fine clay , is been a while since i did that car. if works for you great!
but on anything dark color i don`t sell that service. keeps me away from any headache.

Pureshine
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
do a non metalic black new audi, porsche , bmw , bentey ( all this car paint are softer), or most new non metalic black cars.

i use fine clay , is been a while since i did that car. if works for you great!
but on anything dark color i don`t sell that service. keeps me away from any headache.
I under stand where your coming from for sure. I might have to rethink this.
Thanks
Todd

CM8 6MT
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
I under stand where your coming from for sure. I might have to rethink this.
Thanks
Todd

Meg's consumer line clay bar (white) is one of the mildest & yet effective that I use for soft black paint.

07gtcs
01-30-2013, 03:27 PM
If you don't clay, how do you decontaminate? If you don't decontaminate aren't you worried you'll scratch or swirl the hell out of it by going over the spots of contamination?