PDA

View Full Version : How would you polish this fender?

Bill220
01-29-2013, 07:25 PM
The fenders on my car have lots of edges and uneven surfaces. How would you go about polishing it? I hesitate to use the DA for fear of burning off some edges. Do you think I can do a good enough job by hand or should I risk the DA? I'll be using Ultimate Compound then M205. I already did the flat part on top by hand and it turned out ok.

Feed back please

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g358/bill2202/IMG_0509_zps173c379c.jpg

rider9195
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Your problem will be keeping the pad turning with all those edges and curves. If you're that worried about it, just don't hang around in the same spot and start with M205 first.

dad07
01-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Bill Don't be to worried about using your da......in the areas in question drop down to a smaller pad and as Ryan said don't spend a lot of time in one place.

If you are close to my area I would glady give you some 1on 1 and guide you through.

Even if your not shout out to the forum there are plenty of great folks here that would gladly help you.

Vegas Transplant
01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree with rider and dad07, but 1/8" painters tape will suffice to ease your mind if you're so inclined.

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/Tape_off_Rain_Rail.001.jpg

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/Tape_off_Rain_Rail.002.jpg

http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/Tape_off_Rain_Rail.003.jpg

I don't worry too much about raised body lines and edges on new cars when only using a PC style DA Polisher, just don't stand on them...

If the car is older and you bought it used and thus don't know the detailing history you might want to be more careful.

:)

spiralout462
01-29-2013, 07:51 PM
A 4" LC pad and the PCxp would work great there in my opinion. Sometimes I feel more comfortable using a DA than my hand. My hand does not have a free floating spindle assembly as a safety measure.

Vegas Transplant
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
If you are close to my area I would glady give you some 1on 1 and guide you through.

Where's the sign up list for your next class??? I need to clear my schedule!

Happy detailing Tim...:autowash:

dad07
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Where's the sign up list for your next class??? I need to clear my schedule!

Happy detailing Tim...:autowash:

Hey Buddy! how ya been.....your welcome at the shop ANY time.......my schedule is the one that needs clearing LOL!

Vegas Transplant
01-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Been good Tim, great to see ya still holding down the Queen City.
I just about died laughing when I read the post about Lacey, the med school stripper.

rmagnus
01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
The fenders on my car have lots of edges and uneven surfaces. How would you go about polishing it? I hesitate to use the DA for fear of burning off some edges. Do you think I can do a good enough job by hand or should I risk the DA? I'll be using Ultimate Compound then M205. I already did the flat part on top by hand and it turned out ok.

Feed back please

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g358/bill2202/IMG_0509_zps173c379c.jpg

Simple a DA will be fine. Switch to a 4" pad keep the polisher moving and go with the curve of the panel. DAs don't burn paint easily. Just use good technique keep the pad moving. Smaller pads fit better and help all DAs with keeping the pad rotating.

You can always touch up tight areas by hand.

Bill220
01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Your problem will be keeping the pad turning with all those edges and curves. If you're that worried about it, just don't hang around in the same spot and start with M205 first.

I tried M205 by hand last night and it didn't go so well. I'm going to try Ultimate Compound (used it on hood, roof, trunk already) and not press down too hard.

Bill Don't be to worried about using your da......in the areas in question drop down to a smaller pad and as Ryan said don't spend a lot of time in one place.

Even if your not shout out to the forum there are plenty of great folks here that would gladly help you.

I'm in PA but I appreciate the offer! I don't have any 4" pads or smaller backing plate so I'm going to attempt it with the 5.5" pad.

I agree with rider and dad07, but 1/8" painters tape will suffice to ease your mind if you're so inclined.

I like this idea. I'm going to head up to Lowes and see if they have it.

A 4" LC pad and the PCxp would work great there in my opinion. Sometimes I feel more comfortable using a DA than my hand. My hand does not have a free floating spindle assembly as a safety measure.

I thought about this, too. I can ill afford to damage the finish and have to get it repaired.

Simple a DA will be fine. Switch to a 4" pad keep the polisher moving and go with the curve of the panel. DAs don't burn paint easily. Just use good technique keep the pad moving. Smaller pads fit better and help all DAs with keeping the pad rotating.

You can always touch up tight areas by hand.

The really tight spots I will do by hand with a red wax applicator. I have MF applicators too but haven't tried those with polish. Would they work, too?

I want to get smaller pads and backing plate but over the past two months I've purchased so much detailing stuff that if I buy any more, my wife will have a fit. I promised her that I after I ordered 30 MF towels on Sunday that I would lay off for a while.