PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Oxidization Removal - How much to charge?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Crazy Amos
02-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Year, Make and Model?

Aluminum, Gel Coat, Paint with Clear, etc?

Jobs like this I come to, do a test spot (to see how much time and products it will take), Show the client the finished product of the test spot - then charge appropriately.

Listen to what he says, he has done some great work on gargantuans! He knows what he is talking about.

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Year, Make and Model?

Aluminum, Gel Coat, Paint with Clear, etc?

Jobs like this I come to, do a test spot (to see how much time and products it will take), Show the client the finished product of the test spot - then charge appropriately.

it's a 20 ft stratus gel coat

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Listen to what he says, he has done some great work on gargantuans! He knows what he is talking about.

Yes I have seen his work that is why I'm asking B&B lol

Bates Detailing
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks man :dblthumb2:

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1732/medium/jv1.jpg

This is what most of the boat looked like...

Bates Detailing
02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
it's a 20 ft stratus gel coat

Again man - this is my method of attack : Jobs like this I come to, do a test spot (to see how much time and products it will take), Show the client the finished product of the test spot - then charge appropriately

Most boats that size average 400 to 500 I suppose - but honestly it all depends on how far the boat is from me, the condition of the boat, how much time I plan on spending on the boat, how much cost is involved, etc. Usually it takes one full day for a boat that size with 2 other guys to do a GREAT job - including 3 or 4 stepping by hand the areas that the polisher can't get to, working area by area instead of working side by side - to many variables to suggest a price without actually doing a test spot.

Bates Detailing
02-04-2013, 10:15 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1732/medium/jv1.jpg

This is what most of the boat looked like...

If Im not mistaken, that is cleared correct? Metallic Red with Clear?!?!? Those are a bit easier IMO because you don't have to wash your pads constantly lol.

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I did a test spot and at first it looked good then later it hazed back over..

Bates Detailing
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I did a test spot and at first it looked good then later it hazed back over..

Was there paint transfer to your pad?

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1732/medium/boat_1388.jpg

No paint transfered to my pad

Bates Detailing
02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Looks good - you say it went back to hazy? the entire boat - even after waxing/sealing?

Bamafire
02-04-2013, 10:29 PM
The rails hazed a little but the stern hazed backed, not as bad as the 50-50.

Hoytman
02-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Stratos, Hydro-sport, and Skeeter are notorious (certain years at least, of which I don't have a year for ya) for what you see in those photo's. From what I've heard from local fisherman there were some major issues with gel being thin and manufacturers not standing by their products. I've also heard some of these issues continue today.

I'd be super-duper careful because that clear gel is beyond whisper thin on these makes. Some makes, it gets dry, hazy, and porous...even to the point of pitting...like air bubbles in the gel.

I did a Boston Whaler last year for a guy and he wanted me to do another boat that he'd bought. It was a Hydro-sport, mid 90's. The outside hull looked fine, but when he pulled the cover off he asked me if I could do anything with the upper portion and inside of the boat. To put in mildly it looked like a peeling snake and I declined the job. The clear gel just flaked away. It was gel too, not some clear paint.

A friend of mine owns a Skeeter and the top rails look much like your photo's. I bet those hazed area do not feel smooth like they should...better than a baby's bottom. That's another job I declined and I even showed my buddy what a test spot revealed. Mediocre results at best...that hazed back over shortly after. Some spots in the area of the test seen zero transformation...just haziness. This tells me it's all the way through the clear.

Good clear gel-coat, by todays standards at least, will have great depth of image...it will look very thick in contrast to a thin gel-coat with no issues.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/44177-ranger-bass-boat-minor-scratch-removal.html

Hoytman
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
What about below the rub rails? How does it look below that rub rail? Oddly enough the Hydro-Sport I was asked to do, below the rub rail looked fine. That is, it had plenty of shine, however, it in no way had much depth to it and that's because it too was thin to start with. Once again, and oddly enough, my buddies Skeeter has the same "sanded" look to it above the rub rail. The hull is fine. What's strange, is it has a cover on it all the time and it still looks like it's been bead blasted.

Bamafire
02-05-2013, 01:15 AM
What about below the rub rails? How does it look below that rub rail? Oddly enough the Hydro-Sport I was asked to do, below the rub rail looked fine. That is, it had plenty of shine, however, it in no way had much depth to it and that's because it too was thin to start with. Once again, and oddly enough, my buddies Skeeter has the same "sanded" look to it above the rub rail. The hull is fine. What's strange, is it has a cover on it all the time and it still looks like it's been bead blasted.

Below the rub rail looked great used a AIO came out looking new. the rest of the boat came out great no returning haze just the rails and stern... thanks for the info makes me feel better.