PDA

View Full Version : Grey or blue pad with finishing polish?

Radarryan
01-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Should I use a grey or blue LC CCS pad with the Optimum Finish Polish? I was leaning toward grey as a finishing pad, but the blue is touted as a finessing pad. Wanted to get the forum's advice. I plan on using Optimum Polish II with a white pad first in the most problematic areas.

Also, what do the pros use in "hand only" places? Do you fold a 5.5" pad or take a small applicator pad with no cut and just rely on the polish to do the work?

Thanks and Happy Detailing!

steamshooter
01-29-2013, 05:34 AM
I've used the grey pad for applying sealant. It's certainly soft enough. I've got a blue pad coming (a few hours away according to UPS tracker :xyxthumbs:) and I am planning on it to be my sealant/wax applicator and the grey will be used for a finishing polish. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about what pad for what job.

I'm no pro by any means. I will use the pad off the PC to apply by hand whatever it has on it at the time. I don't wad up a 5.5 inch pad too much though, I'm afraid of damaging it. If it won't fit where it needs to go, then I go to a foam or microfiber hand pad.

As my Lake Country pads wear out they will be cut up to use in those tight spaces.

KenR
01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
I've used the LC 5.5" grey flat pads with good success when applying sealant. I also like the idea of using old cut up pads for hard to get at places. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AG Online

spiralout462
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
The gray pad is firmer. This will allow you to apply more pressure, which is sometimes necessary when working a finishing polish. If I were you I would try both, and even white. Every paint system is different.

Radarryan
01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
The gray pad is firmer. This will allow you to apply more pressure, which is sometimes necessary when working a finishing polish. If I were you I would try both, and even white. Every paint system is different.

It is going to be used on Porsche flat black paint if that makes any difference. I don't know if the clear is considered hard or soft. Maybe someone with German paints/Porsche experience can chime in. It's a 2013 model, also.

primo spaghetti
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
ive used both colours with finish polish and they worked the same in my application. they were both great.

use one of your pads that the backing velcro is wearing down on for your hand polishing pad..even cut it up into pieces to match the polishing job...since its old, it wont hurt!