PDA

View Full Version : New- Mother's Leather Tech

Pages : [1] 2

CM8 6MT
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
So I picked up a new product from Mother's new 2013 line up today. Its called Mother's Leather Tech: Moisture Infusioned Gel Cream.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/29/usehypu4.jpg
It's basically a leather conditioner. It comes in a neat plastic box with the tub & foam applicator. Mother's claims it helps lock-out moisture and prevent cracking/fading.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/29/a5apare5.jpg
As you open the tub, it has a very rich cream texture. It smells GREAT. Kind of like a fresh tropical melon. They suggest using their Leather Tech foam cleaner, we didnt get it in the store just yet, but ill be using regular leather cleaner until then. Watch for my full review on this product & other products coming soon!

What do you guys think?

Pinpoint_Precision
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
My local AAparts had it, I almost got it. Glad someone here got it and is writing a review on it. Can't wait to see your thoughts and results!

terrangama
01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Looks very promising! I am currently on leather masters but I am always on the look out for good leather products

CM8 6MT
01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
I've been using Blue Magic's Leather Conditioner in a spray bottle along with their Leather Cleaner. Both products work great, a nice 1-2 punch. Being a sucker for Mother's products, I decided to get it. A little pricey, $16.99 (-20%). AutoGeek carries it for $13.99, for those interested.

swanicyouth
01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm not really sure of the benefit of leather conditioners or this product. Since most modern auto leather seats have a colorant on them that coats the leather, these conditioner type products mainly just sit on the surface of the colorant from the best I can tell. From what I've read, its most important to keep the leather clean, as dirt causes friction that wears the colorant AND use a protectant. To me, it seems like the best protectant is one that is non greasy (wont attract as much dirt) and forms a mechanical barrier on the surface.

While products like this may make the surface look nice for a short term, is there any evidence that "conditioners" provide any long term benefit on coated leather? Will any of the ingredients actually permeate the color coating (some type of urethane?) and reach the actual leather itself?

It seems like the trend is going away from "conditioners" to protectants and coatings. Meg's, G Technique, Ultima, CarPro, Wolfs, and others all are making products that can coat or seal leather to act as a mechanical friction barrier from the person sitting in the seat.

Don't know... Maybe I only know enough to be dangerous.

Any experts out there?

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Awesome! I've been really interested in this new product. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

CM8 6MT
01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm not really sure of the benefit of leather conditioners or this product. Since most modern auto leather seats have a colorant on them that coats the leather, these conditioner type products mainly just sit on the surface of the colorant from the best I can tell. From what I've read, its most important to keep the leather clean, as dirt causes friction that wears the colorant AND use a protectant. To me, it seems like the best protectant is one that is non greasy (wont attract as much dirt) and forms a mechanical barrier on the surface.

While products like this may make the surface look nice for a short term, is there any evidence that "conditioners" provide any long term benefit on coated leather? Will any of the ingredients actually permeate the color coating (some type of urethane?) and reach the actual leather itself?

It seems like the trend is going away from "conditioners" to protectants and coatings. Meg's, G Technique, Ultima, CarPro, Wolfs, and others all are making products that can coat or seal leather to act as a mechanical friction barrier from the person sitting in the seat.

Any experts out there?

While I cant speak about what actually goes on with the leather (im no chemist), I had a spot that was starting to crack and rough to the touch. I cleaned & conditioned it with Blue Magic's products, It returned to a clean & soft texture. The roughness and dry feel of the leather went away. This was last year, and I very seldomly "touch it up" with the conditioner. Works for me.

terrangama
01-29-2013, 12:58 AM
The Leathermaster vital gives my leather a really nice satin/matte/new texture, but I dont htink it lasts for more than a month or two.

umi000
01-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Any experts out there?

I generally agree with you, based on everything I've read (I'm not an expert, either). However, I read a post a couple of months back that made a good point - while the above is true for new leather, as the leather ages, the urethane coating on top can form cracks/micro-fissures, into which the leather conditioners can penetrate and have an impact on the underlying material. Don't know if that's how it would work in practice, though it seems logical to me.

WRXINXS
01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm also using the Leather Masters System (Soft Cleaner - Vital - Protection Cream). I guess the LM Vital would be similar to the Mothers Moisture Infusion Gel Cream. Looks like a cool product.

SON1C
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
This, i need lol, I currently use mothers fx leather care after apc treatment
Nice pickup

TimmyG
01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Subscribed for a full review.

Currently using the leatherique twins with fantastic results. Very curious to see how this new Mothers combo performs though!

KneeDragr
01-29-2013, 09:03 AM

I believe the new Meguiars system is designed to seal the leather in such a way to reduce dirt accumulation and friction. I stupidly forgot to order it during that 15% off sale.

ihaveacamaro
01-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Awesome can't wait for the review. But because this is leather conditioner do you know if it is targeted for coated leather or uncoated leather?

PPLd
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Cant wait for the review!
It looks promising!