PDA

View Full Version : prescription glasses

LazyGhost
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Ive got a bottle of Megs PlastX, or howrver ya say it. Think itll take the swirls out of my prescription glasses without compromising the prescription? Or should i try some PO85RD?
My insurance provides me with new eyewear every year and the year just rolled over. So im all good in case i mess things up.

The eyeglasses in question have plastic lenses, no tint, and the el cheapo scratch resistent treatment that doesnt work at all.

LazyGhost
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Im wanting to detail something. Got all this stuff and the wife still aint bought me my gg6 yet. Im loaded down with mf towels, compound, polish, wax, wash, you name it. Still no gg6!

SANTA3013
01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
I say go for it since you have a back-up plan. Let us know how that works.

Johny B
01-28-2013, 10:32 PM
I say go for it since you have a back-up plan. Let us know how that works.
+1

cardaddy
01-29-2013, 12:57 AM
Well, gotta' use that stuff on something. ;) You know they say not to use UC/UP/UW / M21 on plastic either, but look at my post in the "detailing today" thread where I did my daughters laptop by hand. Turned out pretty good. :)

BillE
01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Hmmmm, curious how this will turn out.

I'm guessing that the Plastx WILL remove any 'scratch proof' that is on them. Do you know if your lens are polycarbonate? That plastic IS much harder than just the 'regular plastic'.

Like others have said, as long as you have a back-up plan...go for it.

Please let us know how it comes out.

Bill

Mike Phillips
01-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Somewhere I have pictures of some prescription glasses that I dropped into the concrete hot tub at the house I owned in Apple Valley. By the time I could fish them out of the swirling, bubbling water they were really scratched up.

The next day I was flying out to Malibu, California to teach a guy how to machine polish paint using Mike Sage's Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider - Number 25 of 104 built.

Mike Sage picked me up at the Apple Valley airport in his Cessna and while I was waiting for him I rubbed the majority of the scratches out of the face of the lenses using a small piece of terry cloth and PlastX.

Removed enough of the scratches to see clearly again. It's time consuming but you can do it.

Forgot about this project it's been so long ago...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2F1Before1.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

LazyGhost
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Ill take some before/after pics when i try it in a little while. Ill look and see if i can find an old pair to try it on first. I have confidence itll remove the shallow scratches. Just not sure if itll retain the same clarity as before.

I figure its been tried before by some folks. I figured by making this post id get the answer i was looking for before i took the leap. Looks like ill be the guini pig on this one.

LazyGhost
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Took before pics. Then worked on my lenses fifteen minutes or so rubbing the platx firmly using a microfiber towel. No change at all. Didnt hurt my lens and didnt correct the scratches. Possibly a more aggressive approach is needed. My fingers are sore now. The scratches (except for one) are so shallow you cant feel them with your finger nail to determine which side of the lens is scratched. So i worked both sides.

Ill make an appointment and get me some new specs. Then ill try a more aggressive approach to my old pair.

Fishincricket
01-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Im wanting to detail something. Got all this stuff and the wife still aint bought me my gg6 yet. Im loaded down with mf towels, compound, polish, wax, wash, you name it. Still no gg6!

Well come on over, I'll put you to work!! :)