PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch backing plate and 4 inch pad on a GG6?

Fishincricket
01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I swear I screw something up on every order! I read and read to make sure and get the right stuff, then I screw up anyway.

I decided to get the Hydrotech pad system and downsize to a 5 inch plate and 5.5 pad, like so many here suggest..

I also wanted to get an even smaller backing plate for the tight spots, edges, etc... The smallest LChydrotech pad is 4 inches so I ordered those then I guess I ordered the 3 inch backing plate, not realizing I should have ordered the 3.5.

So my question is:

Will the 4 inch pad be effective on a 3 inch BP, or should I call customer service tomorrow AM and beg them to alter my order to either:

A 3.5 backing plate

Or

A different set of 3 inch pads?

I wish LC made 3 inch hydro techs!!! lol I'm clearly nuts.

john b
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
you are not nuts,they do make 3 inch pads

Fishincricket
01-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Well by golly, so they do!!

So would it be wiser to beg them to change my 4" pad order to a 3" pad order? I think that's what I'll do...

feslope
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Your 3" backing plate is probably actually 2 7/8" which is perfect for 3" pads. While the 3" plate will work with 4" pads a 3 1/2 plate will support it better. For use with 3" sandpaper you should have an actual 3" backing plate made for sandpaper.

Before you are done you will need/want all sizes of backing plates. Get them all.

Arn't you glad you asked. :buffing:

feslope
01-27-2013, 11:29 PM
So would it be wiser to beg them to change my 4" pad order to a 3" pad order? I think that's what I'll do...Or, you could get the 3" pads too. :xyxthumbs:

Fishincricket
01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
lol, I've already spent too much. But I'll probably call them in the morning and get the 3" pads.

I agree I'll "need" them all eventually... Though I won't be sanding anything by machine any time soon.

feslope
01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
lol, I've already spent too much. But I'll probably call them in the morning and get the 3" pads.

I agree I'll "need" them all eventually... Though I won't be sanding anything by machine any time soon.lol Welcome to the club.

cardaddy
01-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Well by golly, so they do!!

So would it be wiser to beg them to change my 4" pad order to a 3" pad order? I think that's what I'll do...

Or..... swap the 3" plate for the 3½". ;) I don't remember in the DA kit with the different plates in it and the 4" CCS pads... wasn't that a 3½? Anywho... dat's da' one me got and I love it. :)

ski2
01-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Are the 3" pads really usable on a GG6 without an extension to move the pad farther away from the polisher?? It seems the BP/pads are almost the same size has the black housing which would make it very difficult to polish close to any protruding objects on a car. I have the 3.5" BP with 4" pads and have struggled with the idea of getting a 3" setup. Mike has also mentioned the 3" pads are a little difficult to use with a full size polisher as it becomes "tippy"--is this so?

Fishincricket
01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Are the 3" pads really usable on a GG6 without an extension to move the pad farther away from the polisher?? It seems the BP/pads are almost the same size has the black housing which would make it very difficult to polish close to any protruding objects on a car. I have the 3.5" BP with 4" pads and have struggled with the idea of getting a 3" setup. Mike has also mentioned the 3" pads are a little difficult to use with a full size polisher as it becomes "tippy"--is this so?

Indeed, the expert advice says, at best, to "use caution and focus in the task at hand"...

Based upon this and Nicks expert advice I have decided to wait on the 3inch stuff until I can get the actual 3 inch polisher.

I settled on upping my ordered BP to the 3.5 inch. I change my mind often, don't I? lol told y'all I was nutz. ;)

spiralout462
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I think you'll be happy with your choice. I love my 4" pads! They are great for spot corrections in between complete details.