PDA

View Full Version : Correcting Scratches

spence
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
I own a 2001 Acura CL Daily Driver. It has many chips, scratches, swirls, and oxidation. It allows me to try different techniques to correct paint and try different techniques. Some of which did not work out so well. The first photo shows a chip/scratch in the reflection of the tail light on the bumper. Photo 2 shows that I have filled in the scratch with OEM Touch up paint. I let the paint dry for a couple of days and then taped off the area I planned on correcting. The tape was to limit the amount of clear coat I would remove. The 4th photo shows a very small Office Depot eraser 3/4" wide x 1-1/2" long with 3/4" wide strip of Megs 1200 and 3000 Unigrit sandpaper with water spray bottle. I wet sanded the bump in the limmited area with the 1200 until I no longer felt the the touch up paint bump with my finger tips. Then went over the area with 3000 grit. Removed the tape. A final wash and dry. Then used a GG 3" DA with Megs UC followed by 205 polish. The final shot shows the results. Not perfect but better than when I started. I tried this method because I felt it minimized the area and my risk of going through the clear coat. I think the method could be improved by using 2000 and then 3000 grit. Be carefull if that scratch is on a crease, it seems to me it is extemely easy to go through the clear coat with wet sanding.

Andr3wilson
01-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Looks good! Great work!

Little tip, add a tad of ONR or shampoo to your spray. More lubricity than water.

spence
01-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks, the clear coat and paint did not readily rinse off when I was wet sanding. I will add shampoo to the water in the spray bottle on the next scratch correction.